Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gay Marriage

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Its called logic. Logically if there were a non-bigotted reason, we would have heard it. We haven't, mainly because there isn't one. Ergo, voting against means you're a bigot or a moron.

Or maybe if any of them had at least a thought-provoking (yet not agreeable) reason they were still too worried about the undoubted "Pitchforks!!!" backlash?
  • Options
    CM Punk wrote: »
    Have you heard the personal views of all 126?

You're quite right in the most uninteresting and unimportant of ways: we haven't heard every single person give their reason for voting. There might well be one MP who has a super-duper-starship-trooper reason for voting against gay marriage. In fact it's so good they're jealously guarding it for themselves and not broadcasting it at all.
  • Options
    Or maybe if any of them had at least a thought-provoking (yet not agreeable) reason they were still too worried about the undoubted "Pitchforks!!!" backlash?

So rather than speak up (i.e. the job they're paid to do) in the hope of convincing others to side with them, they decided to quietly vote against it anyway with no explanation, and have everyone assume it was for bigoted reasons anyway?
  • Options
    There might well be one MP who has a super-duper-starship-trooper reason for voting against gay marriage.

Nobody is suggesting there's a "super-duper" reason. The point I'm trying to make is the attitude of not bothering to at least hear their reasons before labelling them evil bigots is fucking sickening for a site like this.
  • Options
    No doubt about that. But do we know their reasons for being against?

I'm not sure it matters. It is a vote against equality.

As others have said, I have yet to come across a reason which is not based in prejudice, but I would be genuinely interested to hear one.
  • Options
    So rather than speak up (i.e. the job they're paid to do) in the hope of convincing others to side with them, they decided to quietly vote against it anyway with no explanation, and have everyone assume it was for bigoted reasons anyway?

That's right, because MPs have nothing better to do than answer each and every one of their decisions within hours of making them.
  • Options
    Yeah, she was just following official Lib Dem rules that state that you have to vote against something you were publicly in favour of before you were elected.

Incidentally, why are you letting her off the hook? I've read her justification, and it basically boils down to "everyone else should have to follow the rules of my personal religious beliefs."

:lol:

Basically her previous voting record gives her the benefit of the doubt. That and she's just completely torpedoed any last chance she had of getting re-elected.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »

As others have said, I have yet to come across a reason which is not based in prejudice, but I would be genuinely interested to hear one.

I agree. There isn't a reason to vote against equal rights.
  • Options

Finally a voice of reason.

I agree that there's unlikely to be a valid reason (or at least a reason valid enough to placate the rabid lefties for 5 seconds). However the point I'm making is that people don't even seem interested in finding out what it is, other than someone earlier who emailed their MP only to find out he wasn't present for the vote.
  • Options
    That's right, because MPs have nothing better to do than answer each and every one of their decisions within hours of making them.
    Erm, the reasons came in the debate before the vote, as well as many time before that. What's so hard to understand about this? Anne Widdecombe delivered a long speech on the issue at the Tory conference, for example. I'm pretty sure I can accurately cite that as her reason for opposing the bill.
  • Options
    Erm, the reasons came in the debate before the vote, as well as many time before that. What's so hard to understand about this? Anne Widdecombe delivered a long speech on the issue at the Tory conference, for example. I'm pretty sure I can accurately cite that as her reason for opposing the bill.

So why not ask them directly (to at least try) to justify their stance as someone did earlier? Is it because it's easier to write them off as bigots?
  • Options
    If my MP voted against it, I would do. But he didn't.

Incidentally, there is one rational reason to vote against it, and that's because you don't believe that the government should be involved in recognising any personal relationships. I've never heard a politician come out with that one though.
  • Options
    http://howardhardiman.com/2013/02/open-letter-to-andrew-turner-mp/

Just thought some of you might enjoy this.
    For the record, demanding I be treated the same as if I were straight doesn't make me "rabid". Denying me equality is bigotted.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    For the record, demanding I be treated the same as if I were straight doesn't make me "rabid".

I don't think anyone has suggested it does.

So (not aimed directly at you btw) just to be sure that I'm understanding this correctly, any MP voting 'yes' isn't a bigot but those that voted 'no' are?
  • Options
    I don't think anyone has suggested it does.

So (not aimed directly at you btw) just to be sure that I'm understanding this correctly, any MP voting 'yes' isn't a bigot but those that voted 'no' are?

Well they can be a bigot for other reasons.
  • Options
    When your local MP equates equal marriage rights for homosexuals to giving those rights for incest (but apparently hetrosexual marriage isn't the same), I think we have an issue. Stand up Sir Roger Gale.
  • Options
    When your local MP equates equal marriage rights for homosexuals to giving those rights for incest (but apparently hetrosexual marriage isn't the same), I think we have an issue. Stand up Sir Roger Gale.

That's not bigotry. That's utter twattery.
  • Options
    Fair enough, let's grab our pitchforks and hunt down anyone that doesn't attend the local Pride march.

You've made this argument a few times. I think we should just knock this on the head now and discuss your other points.

If you voted for the right for gay people to get married, you're 'with' people who support that.

If you abstain or don't have an opinion, you're neither with or against. Maybe you have opinions, maybe you don't. Nobody is really criticising the apathetic in this thread. Find one example. You won't.

If you voted against gay people having the right to marry, then yes, a lot of people will want to know why. The reasons given are generally, 'its not natural' or 'its intrinsically wrong'. These aren't logical arguments, rather are emotive arguments - it doesn't feel right to that person. That doesn't intrinsically make someone a bigot, but it indicates they probably are. That doesn't mean they hate gay people, just that they're intolerant of other people. If they don't explain themselves, then yea, they're probably going to be labelled a bigot.

Hopefully that makes it clear that you don't need to go on a pride march to not be castigated. You just need to not be an accountable, elected representative of the people who votes against people's natural human rights as per the UN without giving any sound reasoning other than 'it feels a bit funny'.
  • Options
    Would you agree there's a difference between 'wanting to know why' and 'calling them a bigot'?
  • Options
    I am still against the proposed law. The state should be distancing itself from this religious nonsense, not involving itself further.

Equalise civil partnerships.
    Upgrade any pre-existing state recognised marriage to a civil partnership.
    Change all references to marriage in law to exclusively civil partnerships.
    Ignore all future marriages.

If the churches don't like it (excuse the expression) sod the lot of them.
  • Options
    Oh and just for the record, I have no opinion on the actual topic. I won't give any lefty BS that "I have gay friends" - maybe I do, I have no idea but that's irrelevant. I've not personally spoken to any gay people that want to get married so I have no idea or understanding of the strength of feeling. On a personal level if 2 people are in love and they're both happy with it then why not. As someone that doesn't like change I can possibly understand the view of *some* objectors but that doesn't mean I think it should be prevented. The world is much larger than my view of it.
  • Options
    As someone that doesn't like change I can possibly understand the view of *some* objectors but that doesn't mean I think it should be prevented. The world is much larger than my view of it.

Sometimes change is a good thing. The world moves on.

We now know the world is not flat, left handed people aren't witches, black people are not second class citizens, and we are finally starting to realise that homosexual love is every bit as valid as heterosexual love.
  • Options
    I don't suppose anyone caught "The Moral Maze" on radio 4 last night, with that clergyman proposing it was homophobic to suggest gay love was the same as straight (I think he used the "different but equal" quite a lot)
  • Options
    I don't suppose anyone caught "The Moral Maze" on radio 4 last night, with that clergyman proposing it was homophobic to suggest gay love was not the same as straight

I think it probably is homophobic, its one of the reasons a civil partnership isn't equal, in that adultery isn't grounds fo dissolution, because sex isn't part of a homosexual relationship.

Also, I think I could be swayed by your arguments on the state and marriage.
  • Options
    Would you agree there's a difference between 'wanting to know why' and 'calling them a bigot'?

I would agree with that.

Weren't we just discussing whether thesite is' go on Pride or be damned' as you attested, and I disagreed and said "just don't vote against good things with no reason other than intolerance of homosexuality".

Also for calling them bigots, I don't think that was a main feature of the thread prior to your "thesite is raving lefties" argument. I think that they're bigoted is implied, yes, and I think the anti crowd are a bit upset by that, yep.

Same way as the pro apartheid chaps got labelled as racist, poor folks. I'm sure they're doing ok now though :-)
  • Options
    I don't suppose anyone caught "The Moral Maze" on radio 4 last night, with that clergyman proposing it was homophobic to suggest gay love was the same as straight (I think he used the "different but equal" quite a lot)

Ooooh I'll look that up. I quit The Moral Maze on the grounds of Melanie Philips' voice.
  • Options
    Sometimes change is a good thing. The world moves on.

We now know the world is not flat, left handed people aren't witches, black people are not second class citizens, and we are finally starting to realise that homosexual love is every bit as valid as heterosexual love.

Change 'can' be good...but not always. In amongst how this new bill will play out I foresee some gay couple (obviously backed and funded by an activist group) trying to take a particular church to court (most likely Strasbourg) as a test case to overturn its right to choose whether or not to allow a gay couple to get married on its premises. I hope I'm wrong about that but I have a feeling it will not turn out well.
  • Options
    But religion is a protected characteristic so it is highly unlikely that they will get very far.
  • Options
    True but that's why I said as a test case. And we all know how far the religious views of some people get them when they go up against gays (or at least gay visitors to their B&B).
  • Options
    Yeah, when you use the phrase "go up against gays" you sound like a massive homophobe.

Frankly, I don't see why the church can't move on with this like it has on everything else.
This discussion has been closed.