Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Not coping (triggering)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fiend, it brings me some comfort that I was there. But to be honest, the past 36 hours of her life were so awful as horrible as it sounds it was a relief she went sooner rather than later. She wasn't her at all, she couldn't talk or move or swallow, it was like she became a baby again... I can't explain... it was so awful to watch, and she must have been in so much pain. As much as I miss her, I'm glad she didn't go on suffering.

That's why I asked, it's not always pleasant being there. I, like you, would have been glad of a quick ending. More hugs for you.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :)

Fiend, it brings me some comfort that I was there. But to be honest, the past 36 hours of her life were so awful as horrible as it sounds it was a relief she went sooner rather than later. She wasn't her at all, she couldn't talk or move or swallow, it was like she became a baby again... I can't explain... it was so awful to watch, and she must have been in so much pain. As much as I miss her, I'm glad she didn't go on suffering.

I'm glad Fiend asked this, because this is important. I can't remember how old you are B-A, but I went through this at 22 and it was horrific. Fortunately for my Dad it was only about 8 hours rather than 36, but I had a very similar experience to you. If you do need to talk about it, please PM.

Do try and take comfort in the fact that she's no longer suffering. There's a poem I posted in WhiteLillie's thread about thoughts being with the living, have a read of that :)
  • Options
    I'm 15, and thank you, I probably will PM you at some point :)

I was asked if I want to say anything at the funeral but said no. I feel like I want to say something at the funeral, but I can't think of anything meaningful to say. Quite depressed at the moment. The miserable weather isn't helping.
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl

I was asked if I want to say anything at the funeral but said no. I feel like I want to say something at the funeral, but I can't think of anything meaningful to say. Quite depressed at the moment. The miserable weather isn't helping.

If there is anything you would have liked to say, you could still say it. Write it down, say it out loud, or even whisper it.
    I often think things about both people and pets, about how much I miss them, how much I would have liked to meet them. Usually to a photograph or keepsake of theirs. I know it seems silly, but it helps me.
    Thinking of you. xx *hug*
  • Options
    I know it's not directly relevant, but might be useful to others in you position - instead of saying something yourself you can have something read out for you.
  • Options
    I know it's not directly relevant, but might be useful to others in you position - instead of saying something yourself you can have something read out for you.

It's all relevant hun xx.
  • Options
    At my Dad's funeral I read out a poem - it's very famous, and one of my favourites: Do not stand at my grave and weep.

I'd learnt it pretty well and so tried to do it from memory rather than from the sheet I had printed out. I got to the last couplet of the poem, which is supposed to say "Do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there, I did not die" and ended up saying "Do not stand at my grave and die..." and quickly correcting myself!

A pm is always welcome.
  • Options
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    At my Dad's funeral I read out a poem - it's very famous, and one of my favourites: Do not stand at my grave and weep.

I'd learnt it pretty well and so tried to do it from memory rather than from the sheet I had printed out. I got to the last couplet of the poem, which is supposed to say "Do not stand at my grave and cry, I am not there, I did not die" and ended up saying "Do not stand at my grave and die..." and quickly correcting myself!

A pm is always welcome.

I love that poem.
    I also like the song '10,000 miles' Have you heard it? My mother wants it played at her funeral.
  • Options

Hi BA,

Firstly, really sorry for your loss :( And I'm glad it was of some comfort that you were there at the end.

I think funerals can be quite strange and really hope you don't feel under pressure to say something at the funeral. Your relationship with your nan was meaningful and nothing can take away from that. I'm not sure about your feelings around death but I personally don't think the funeral is the last and only chance to commemorate someone's memory. Grieving, thinking of memories and sharing those memories with loved ones for me anyway, holds a lot more value than a speech/reading at a funeral. Thinking of you
  • Options
    Reena wrote: »
    I love that poem.
    I also like the song '10,000 miles' Have you heard it? My mother wants it played at her funeral.

That's beautiful, though I was expecting it to by more heartwrenching that I actually found it. To this day I still can't listen to John Lennon's Imagine, as it was my Dad's favourite song and the one we walked out of the funeral to.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for you lovely messages :) I don't really know what else to say, bit wobbly. But thank you all for the support you've given.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for you lovely messages :) I don't really know what else to say, bit wobbly. But thank you all for the support you've given.

We're here for you whenever you need a hug. *hug*
  • Options
    It's the funeral today. I've only had an hours sleep. Not quite sure how I'm going to manage this...
  • Options
    With lots of hugs. And the people around you.
  • Options
    Hope the day goes okay for you x
  • Options
    It's the funeral today. I've only had an hours sleep. Not quite sure how I'm going to manage this...

While at their funeral I always try to think of happy memories of that person, it helps me.
    Thinking of you xx *hug*
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, it went okay, I cried a hell of a lot. The flowers were beautiful, and the church was completely full. I never realised how many friend's my Nan truly had, she will be missed so much :(
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, it went okay, I cried a hell of a lot. The flowers were beautiful, and the church was completely full. I never realised how many friend's my Nan truly had, she will be missed so much :(

*hug* *hug*

Nina x