Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Share your thoughts on TheSite.org Boards here!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well I’m rather new to posting on the boards, so I doubt many of you will know me. However, I am one of TheSite.org Leaders. Essentially, we’re a bunch of volunteers working to ensure that TheSite.org meets your needs.

We had a great live chat with some of you in May (quite a way back now!) and one of the areas it became clear you had plenty of thoughts about were TheSite.org’s discussion boards. So, we’d like to hear more on this theme.

Here’s your chance to tell us:
  • What you like about the boards and why
  • What you’d change about the boards and why

Our focus is on establishing what you love and what makes you tick, so at this point we’re not looking for you to suggest detailed improvements…but that will come later.

Thanks and we look forward to your comments!

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    *bump*
  • Options
    I love the continuity on the boards. It really expresses how much of a community it is :heart:
  • Options
    What you like about the boards and why
    I like that this board is popular enough for members to stick around. I also like that the boards are moderated. I think that's a big part of it's success and appeal.

What you?d change about the boards and why
    It's hard but I've noticed that when a new person posts, especially when they are feeling vulnerable that sometimes the lack of replies or a response can easily be taken negatively/they think they arent liked and then they don't return. That's a shame. Just an idea but perhaps a team of volunteers, even the site leaders can play a part in making new posters, particularly those feeling vulnerable, feel welcome. I realise this is something all the members can do. I do read most posts but sometimes find it difficult to reply when someone is feeling so low
  • Options
    I also like that the boards are moderated. I think that's a big part of it's success and appeal.

:yes:
  • Options
    Things I like:
    - the vast majority of the users, it's really an amazing bunch and they rally around people when they need support
    - moderators posting in threads with useful links and some really useful advice. It validates people's feelings; even if it's something they already knew

Things I'm not too hot on:
    - The (relatively rare, nowadays) occasions when users pick at other users, forgetting that this is a forum for advice and support not their personal hangout. Always makes my blood boil.
    - Boards being quieter in general.
  • Options
    What you?d change about the boards and why
    It's hard but I've noticed that when a new person posts, especially when they are feeling vulnerable that sometimes the lack of replies or a response can easily be taken negatively/they think they arent liked and then they don't return. That's a shame. Just an idea but perhaps a team of volunteers, even the site leaders can play a part in making new posters, particularly those feeling vulnerable, feel welcome. I realise this is something all the members can do. I do read most posts but sometimes find it difficult to reply when someone is feeling so low

I agree with this. Sometimes I skip the posts that are hard reading if I'm having difficulties. But, a mod almost always replies within 48 hours with one of their super-signposting-replies :thumb:

(Hello, Mavis :heart: )
  • Options
    Yeah, half the time with a new post that gets ignored, it's hard to read, or takes a bit of digging and I freely admit that sometimes I'm lazy and can't be fagged.

But that's where the good thing about thesite comes in the Mods always get on it.
  • Options
    Likes: discussions are largely unfettered; sense of community.

Dislikes: molly-coddling; reticence to advocate introspection and personal responsibility.
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    I like that you can talk about anything here, without the world interrupting. Also, it gives you a better understanding of the real world through other people's experiences, you follow people through the bad and good times on here and it's comforting.
    At first I was a bit nervous because I saw how established the community was, and how lots of people were friends and I felt intimidated, like I would say the wrong thing and be laughed at. Also, feel a bit stupid if no one responds to a post. That's just me though, I can be over sensitive to things.
    The Site is great, so glad I found it.
  • Options
    I've been using TheSite for about 7 years and there appears to be a lot of less activity going on over the last few years. No idea what this is down to but what puts me off is if somebody posts something "un-PC" then people seem to jump on them. There is a perception amongst some users that you're only allowed to have an opinion on here if it's a popular 'trendy' one.

I'm all for championing rights but tolerance goes both ways. This means tolerating and respecting someone's right to an opinion even if you disagree with it. There have been times I've been put off replying to a post or thread because of the hassle I know I'll get, which simply is not worth it and I won't come back to this site for a few weeks until it all dies down.
  • Options
    There are 23(!?) sub forums, which just seems unnecessary when you look at the post density. I was here for The Summer of Butt-Fucking when every question in Sex & Relationships was about anal sex, so I know why things were spun off into separate topics, but I think posts are too infrequent to justify so many sub-sections.

The search function still hasn't been fixed. The board redesign has wiped out about 6 years of threads and posts.

There's no password reminder option, at least I can't see one, when you log in. For an old person like me who is starting to feel the effects of ageing, it can mean five or six goes at guessing the password before I get it right.

Post of the week had a brief resurgence then died off again. I would say that if it's too much work to do, just abandon it completely. Also, I haven't been nominated for awhile, which is an appalling oversight.
  • Options
    I was here for The Summer of Butt-Fucking when every question in Sex & Relationships was about anal sex,

:eek2:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The search function still hasn't been fixed. The board redesign has wiped out about 6 years of threads and posts.
    The way I understand it, it's getting fixed but slowly.
  • Options
    Post of the week had a brief resurgence then died off again. I would say that if it's too much work to do, just abandon it completely. Also, I haven't been nominated for awhile, which is an appalling oversight.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is/was post of the week? I assume where someone gets a gold star for their helpful advice, or something along those lines?
  • Options
    Just wanted to show that I’m still checking in on this to see what you’ve all had to say. Some really useful points to date, but keep them coming! Thought I'd just try to pull together some emerging themes...

On the positive side it seems there’s a lot of consensus around:
    • The generally excellent moderation
    • The sense of community here on the boards
    • The continuity of users
    • The breadth of discussion subjects
    • The space to get your thoughts straight

On the more negative side:
    • It seems that the strong sense of community can mean it’s hard to deal with new members, especially if their first post is when they’re in a vulnerable place, or for new members to feel confident posting
    • Tone of posts sometimes irks people (molly coddling, limited tolerance, judgemental)
    • Limited traffic: sometimes the boards are a bit quiet
    • Layout/design (such as too many sub forums, poor search function, no password reminders)

Any more stand out points for anyone? Or any more support for the points made above?

And…
    The point made by Infinite Part Deux about older posts being lost after a redesign, made me wonder: for how long should older posts stay accessible? Any thoughts on that as it potentially links with wider layout issues?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    mavis wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is/was post of the week? I assume where someone gets a gold star for their helpful advice, or something along those lines?
    Well, it's when people vote for which post was the best of the week. It might have been because of helpful advice but most often it was the funniest.
  • Options
    Well, it's when people vote for which post was the best of the week. It might have been because of helpful advice but most often it was the funniest.

I was wondering a while ago when exactly POTW died.

I think that's how I got my Octi. :heart:
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I was wondering a while ago when exactly POTW died.

I think that's how I got my Octi. :heart:

I think that's how I got all four of my Octi's :D.
  • Options
    I think that's how I got all four of my Octi's :D.

Dirty rotten show off ;)
  • Options

Welll....Post of the week kind of relies on you lot nominating. We added a nominate button and we do get the odd nomination, but no-where near as many as are deserving... Granted we could run the poll more frequently, but we need your help. :)
  • Options
    mavis wrote: »
    Just wanted to show that I’m still checking in on this to see what you’ve all had to say. Some really useful points to date, but keep them coming! Thought I'd just try to pull together some emerging themes...

On the positive side it seems there’s a lot of consensus around:
    • The generally excellent moderation
    • The sense of community here on the boards
    • The continuity of users
    • The breadth of discussion subjects
    • The space to get your thoughts straight

On the more negative side:
    • It seems that the strong sense of community can mean it’s hard to deal with new members, especially if their first post is when they’re in a vulnerable place, or for new members to feel confident posting
    • Tone of posts sometimes irks people (molly coddling, limited tolerance, judgemental)
    • Limited traffic: sometimes the boards are a bit quiet
    • Layout/design (such as too many sub forums, poor search function, no password reminders)

Any more stand out points for anyone? Or any more support for the points made above?

And…
    The point made by Infinite Part Deux about older posts being lost after a redesign, made me wonder: for how long should older posts stay accessible? Any thoughts on that as it potentially links with wider layout issues?

Nice summary Mavis. :thumb:
  • Options
    I'd have a post of the month rather than post of the week. Less work for the YouthNet staff and, crucially, there will be more nominations that are worthy of the accolade.

Just make sure I win it, and everything will be fine.

It's not a case of "jumping on" people who are "not PC", it's a case of directly criticising people who are being pricks. I don't, really genuinely don't, see the issue with that. If someone's being a misogynistic prat or a racist turd then I'll call them up on it, I always have done and always will do. If that puts them off then they need to grow a pair, don't say something so nasty or prejudiced if you're not able or willing to defend your view. It's not a case of being "trendy", heaven knows I'm a long way from that, it's a case of being sensible and reasonable. Call it learning a life skill.

I love the sense of community here, even if I come back less than I used to. I love that the moderators are now available to answer questions where there are no replies (or even where there are loads of replies), I think that's important. The only thing I would say is that there needs to be more robust moderation where someone is clearly being inappropriate, such as posting in detail about their self harm or disordered eating tactics and devices, or the (admittedly rarer) passive aggressive posts bringing external arguments on to the boards.
  • Options
    It's not a case of "jumping on" people who are "not PC", it's a case of directly criticising people who are being pricks. I don't, really genuinely don't, see the issue with that. If someone's being a misogynistic prat or a racist turd then I'll call them up on it, I always have done and always will do. If that puts them off then they need to grow a pair, don't say something so nasty or prejudiced if you're not able or willing to defend your view. It's not a case of being "trendy", heaven knows I'm a long way from that, it's a case of being sensible and reasonable. Call it learning a life skill.

But it's not for you or anyone else to decide who or what is a "prick". In the past I've been guilty of posting things which could be taken in more than one way. I never post with the intention of offending or annoying yet there are those who will automatically assume the worst and accuse me of some form of 'ism'. Rather than wait for clarification or further explanation, the brick wall of "You're just being racist/sexist/ageist/fatist/gayist/animalist/whatever" comes up and as far as they're concerned the debate past that is over. This puts me off the forum and keeps me away for weeks at a time.

I get that this is a support and help forum and any attacks on the weak, vulnerable or minorities will be confronted. I'd never expect anything different. But the self-appointed 'moral police' rarely wait for confirmation before steaming in.

As an extension of that, and not something I share, is if someone is confirmed as having some sort of 'ism' then they are ostracised. OK I see the reasoning behind it but it flies in the face of people claiming to be 'tolerant'. If they are intolerant of people they see as intolerant, then they themselves cannot call themselves 'tolerant'. This is what I mean when I say 'trendy'. It's seen as being 'trendy' to be intolerant of those with intolerant views.
  • Options
    I'd have a post of the month rather than post of the week.

Done - starts 1st August, get nominating :) (thanks for the nomination you've just submitted Indrid)
  • Options
    So you can only be "tolerant" if you're some wet fool who thinks everyone should be allowed to say what they want without fear of rebuke, no matter how vile? Lets all just be nice, I totally hear what you're saying. What a ridiculous viewpoint. Call something what it is. A sexist joke makes the joker a sexist. A racist joke makes the joker a racist. It ain't rocket science.

If it looks and smells like a foul opinion, chances are it is a foul opinion. If you feel that strongly, defend it. If you didn't mean to come across that way, say so. Don't go crying because someone calls you up on a sexist joke.
  • Options
    . A sexist joke makes the joker a sexist. A racist joke makes the joker a racist. It ain't rocket science.

Thank you for backing up my point. That is the very reason people tend to stay away from this site.
  • Options
    If people want to stay away from a website for vulnerable young people because they get called up about a sexist or racist comment, then really, are they such a great loss? Given many of the website's service users are bullied for their mental health, their sexuality, their dress or their religious and racial background, and a good deal have been abused emotionally and sexually, then do we really want the sort of person who'll cheerfully make wisecracks about rape or homosexuality?

If someone wants to spout racist jokes then they're free to go somewhere else. I hear Facebook is full of it.

Quality over quantity, innit.
  • Options
    True but quality does not pay monthly server costs.
  • Options
    Well in that case we may as well just turn into the Mail Online and show long-lens paparazzi pictures of teenage Z-list girls in bikinis together with comments about how they've got a really really fat arse.

I'm sure the Vodafone Foundation, BAA and Barclays- who do pay the monthly server costs- would simply adore that...
  • Options
    True but quality does not pay monthly server costs.

To be fair, it does for a charity. ;)