Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

We need you! London Marathon 2013

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Do you like running or would like to get into running? Ever fancied running a marathon?
6901391980_1c6c421c85.jpg
(Fostress running the Brighton Marathon)

Well now’s your chance! We have places in the Virgin London Marathon 2013 and are really pleased to be able to offer a small team the chance to run, before the ballot opens. You are all a huge part of the work we do here at YouthNet and we would love you to represent the charity by running for us.

We know that running a marathon is well, a marathon task! But don’t worry, the team at YouthNet will be here to help you every step of the way. We’ll help you to fundraise and give you lots of training tips and support throughout the year.

We also know it’s not a quick or easy decision to run a marathon, so you don’t need to give us a definite answer just yet. If you think you might be interested and want to find out more please get in touch either here or PM LauraO

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm joining a running club after the footy season ends so this could be something to aim for :chin:
    So it's a definitely maybe from me :hyper:
  • Options
    hmmm7 wrote: »
    I'm joining a running club after the footy season ends so this could be something to aim for :chin:
    So it's a definitely maybe from me :hyper:

:thumb:
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave:

Just moving this over so everyone gets the chance to see it. If you're interested get in touch here or PM me :)

Hmmm7 - Really glad to hear you might be tempted :thumb: I'll be in touch very soon with more details.
  • Options
    I would definitely consider it. The half marathon was the hardest thing I ever did, and my proudest achievement.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I would definitely consider it. The half marathon was the hardest thing I ever did, and my proudest achievement.

:thumb: I can just send you some more info at this stage and you can have a think about it if you'd like? I know it's not a quick decision to make :)
  • Options
    I'd be interested in considering it. I need a target to kick my arse into gear with training!
  • Options
    LauraO wrote: »
    :thumb: I can just send you some more info at this stage and you can have a think about it if you'd like? I know it's not a quick decision to make :)

Totally. And if Arctic Roll and hmm7 get in on the act we could be a proper sexy team!
  • Options
    I will sponsor ;) Atm, I run like 3k most days and doubt I could do much longer ha.
  • Options
    Info for now for me, until au locate my sanity
  • Options
    I will sponsor ;) Atm, I run like 3k most days and doubt I could do much longer ha.

You've got a year to manage another 39k. :p
  • Options
    Info for now for me, until au locate my sanity

I'll send some info shortly. Good to hear you might be tempted :thumb:
  • Options
    info me plz
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    info me plz
    :thumb: will do. Info will be winging it's way over to you all by the end of the day :)
  • Options
    Totally. And if Arctic Roll and hmm7 get in on the act we could be a proper sexy team!

HAHA! :lol:
  • Options
    :thumb: will do. Info will be winging it's way over to you all by the end of the day :)

I have nothing in my inbox:(
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I have nothing in my inbox:(

Sorry guys, few little hitches on getting the info over to you last Friday, but will be with you by 1pm today

Hopefully yesterday inspired you all :)

LauraO
  • Options
    There's no rush, just was worried you had sent it and I had not received it :)
  • Options
    Has anyone here ever completed a marathon before? Can you give us any tips. I'm just reading up on it... its not like a 5k / 10k funrun, it looks REALLY hard. :( I am actually quite fit generally and do go running from time to time but carrying on a jog for 4 hours is going to be painful.

Just want to gauge whether its achieveable or I'm going to end up setting myself up for failure. Would definitely like to do it if i can though ;)
  • Options
    I'm a complete novice at running... if you think it's possible to train in a year I'd be up for info! I've wanted to do it since I was small. Just the once mind!
  • Options
    At ShyBoy: Yeah it'll be hard, and your legs will ache for days after. But loads of people complete it and I reckon the atmosphere helps a ton. It's not meant to be a walk in the park :p
  • Options
    Hi guys,

I ran the marathon for YouthNet a couple of years ago and wrote a blog post about it here.

I would recommend following a proper training program (I didn't really) - and making sure you eat well, but if you do those things, you'll likely be fine. The most I ran beforehand was 20 miles, and I found that was enough. On the day there's loads of people cheering and music playing (especially in London) which really helps keep you going :) - when else are you going to get to run down an avenue of people cheering and clapping you! I also got a bit scared by some of the online stuff - but was pleasantly surprised by how much less it hurt than I was led to expect. It is hard, but if you are well prepared, you should be fine.

I want to do another one - the buzz and feeling of achievement is great!
  • Options
    I am still seriously considering it. I love/hated the Royal Parks! I was stymied by being ill on the day, but I actually enjoyed the sense of achievement afterwards.
  • Options
    I am still seriously considering it. I love/hated the Royal Parks! I was stymied by being ill on the day, but I actually enjoyed the sense of achievement afterwards.

:yippe: I've sent you some details to mull over, so let me know when you make a final decision
  • Options
    I can't get this out of my head, despite knowing it is REALLY REALLY STUPID to even consider it!
  • Options
    :yippe: I've sent you some details to mull over, so let me know when you make a final decision

Got them. I basically feel the same as Arctic, but after the problems I had just before the Royal Parks I do need some medical advice first to make sure it's not beyond stupid!
  • Options
    I can't get this out of my head, despite knowing it is REALLY REALLY STUPID to even consider it!

me too. I really want to do it!
  • Options
    From what I can find:
    - if you just want to take part, you can jog / walk alternately. There is a 24 hour time limit. Still recommended to have decent level of fitness, and jog/walk 3-4 times a week.
    - if you want to run and get an all right beginner time e.g. 4:00-5:00 hours, you probably need to run 4-5 days a week in training for the marathon.
    - getting better times than 4 hours will probably require more training and more commitment, which if you're considering you should probably look into yourself!

Most training programs stipulate 3 months MINIMUM training and conditioning. I'm not an expert by any means but this is what I've gathered off the internet. So if you want to do it, you CAN do it, but you will need to train and get in a decent level of fitness even if you just want to alternate between jogging and walking. It's not something you can do without commitment or preparation though unless you happen to be naturally very fit ;).
  • Options
    I've just been for a jog/walk to get a feel for it, and whilst it will be hard work, I kind of enjoyed it. I didn't go to far, but then there's practically a year to train! I shall have to give this some serious thought that's for sure!
  • Options
    I've just been for a jog/walk to get a feel for it, and whilst it will be hard work, I kind of enjoyed it. I didn't go to far, but then there's practically a year to train! I shall have to give this some serious thought that's for sure!

Absolutely. You wouldn't need to train hardcore for 6 months either, just try and build some kind of jogging or excercise into your routine and focus on conditioning. Will make it easier when you actually start focused training :)
  • Options
    Maybe you should invite these two!