Home Travel & Free Time
Ongoing maintenance - the boards are undergoing some ongoing, intermittent maintenance. Pages might load slightly slower than usual and there may be very short periods where the boards are offline.

My beautiful beautiful books.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
So around six months ago I bought two Antique books, "Vision of Hell" & "Purgatory and Paradise" by Dante Alighieri, and Illustrated by Gustave Doré

So I finally got the book cases made to mount them, A Christmas Present from the father in law who made it. so I thought I would share with all you book lovers

"Hi Res Images"

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1566/imag0750o.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2356/imag0751t.jpg
«1

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how will you read them now?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would probably never ever read these two books themselves, but if I were it is simple, I open the door on the cabinet :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I would probably never ever read these two books themselves

    er what?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're antiques, a collectors item, I would be to worried about my grubby paws ruining them to handle them.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    But what's the point in having books if you're not going to read them? It's like having a beautiful Apple computer that you don't want to use in case it gets broken. Books are made to be read, not looked at.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because they are pretty, very very pretty :) It is like buying a Antique ornament, you buy it because it looks very pretty :) they are VERY very delicate, I guess at the moment I am too scared to read them, maybe one day with a white glove :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Grace wrote: »
    But what's the point in having books if you're not going to read them? It's like having a beautiful Apple computer that you don't want to use in case it gets broken. Books are made to be read, not looked at.

    TRUTH.

    I like my books to be pretty, and would probably spend a bit extra on something like the ones at The Folio Society (and have done - bought Schindler's Ark (they don't have it anymore :() for my sister last year), but books are for READING.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can understand that. I like your book casing. I have friends who buy knitting yarn as ornaments, to touch rather than to knit, I guess it's like that.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I appreciate that Franki, and I agree, I have paperback versions of both Vision of Hell and Paradise and Purgatory but would you really trust yourself to read a book that cost several hundreds of pounds?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Precisely RG, I bought them as they were pretty, and are also an investment but mainly because they are pretty, I love the look of old books and the plates in them are amazing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I appreciate that Franki, and I agree, I have paperback versions of both Vision of Hell and Paradise and Purgatory but would you really trust yourself to read a book that cost several hundreds of pounds?

    Nope, but that's why I wouldn't buy one. If I did, it would be one that had an interesting cover and wasn't just blank :/

    Sorry, not my cup of tea.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree, the outside cover isn't the best, but I like it, I do mostly display the inside plates, Gustave Doré's illustrations are beautiful.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how will you read them now?

    read? Hey I have a television!

    but in all seriousness. Those are collector items and you should not handle them roughly. You can always read the copies. You can't just go into a museum take the Blue Mauritius out of the cabinet, stick it on your christmas cards and be like, "LOL, stamps are meant to be used on letters not display cases."

    I am with OP on this.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    read? Hey I have a television!

    but in all seriousness. Those are collector items and you should not handle them roughly. You can always read the copies. You can't just go into a museum take the Blue Mauritius out of the cabinet, stick it on your christmas cards and be like, "LOL, stamps are meant to be used on letters not display cases."

    I am with OP on this.

    Books are healthier. lol
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey love the cabinet! Could do with some polish on it though. :3 I guess what your plan is by locking them old books in that cabinet is to keep history going. I have my mum's Windows installation discs which are Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP and I've added a lot of other versions of Windows to it just to keep history going and to stop it from disappearing. I hope you get what I'm saying.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really, the funny thing is the cabinet is newly varnished in the style I requested to go with the rest of the new furniture :/
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Really, the funny thing is the cabinet is newly varnished in the style I requested to go with the rest of the new furniture :/

    O, eye sea. :3 looks like anyway. I just like dark warm colours which is probably why I said it needed varnishing. lol :D me likes
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good for you :/
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    XHelenBX wrote: »
    Hey love the cabinet! Could do with some polish on it though. :3 I guess what your plan is by locking them old books in that cabinet is to keep history going. I have my mum's Windows installation discs which are Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP and I've added a lot of other versions of Windows to it just to keep history going and to stop it from disappearing. I hope you get what I'm saying.

    I somehow dont think windows discs compare to valuable antique books.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    XHelenBX wrote: »
    O, eye sea. :3 looks like anyway. I just like dark warm colours which is probably why I said it needed varnishing. lol :D me likes

    But you said it needed polishing, not varnishing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Frankly I am utterly insulted that my books have been compared to a set of windows disk, Something which I have in excess supply :/
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the first one looks really pretty :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thanks, :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I somehow dont think windows discs compare to valuable antique books.

    Correct but they are history like antique books. :3
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    But you said it needed polishing, not varnishing.

    I mean't varnish sorry.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Frankly I am utterly insulted that my books have been compared to a set of windows disk, Something which I have in excess supply :/

    Sorry. :( I do like your books, you know?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    XHelenBX wrote: »
    Correct but they are history like antique books. :3

    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

    don't really get why that would get one of those mate.

    like, she meant varnishing and said sorry and that she likes your books, why not pick up on that?

    get overrrrr it/yerself.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    XHelenBX wrote: »
    Correct but they are history like antique books. :3

    Something I did yesterday is history as well. Windows discs could easily be copied or procured if someone wanted them. Antique books not so much.

    http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=11885129
    I could buy Windows 95 for £6
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Going back to the OP, I think thats awesome and kudos to father in law for making it!

    I collect Cicely Mary Barker's flower fairy books, mainly first editions which I've picked up in charity shops for naff all... I occasionally look at them but I just like having them...and I'm aware that now shoots my hard-ass image in the foot (not that it was working anyway)!
Sign In or Register to comment.