Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

My beautiful beautiful books.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So around six months ago I bought two Antique books, "Vision of Hell" & "Purgatory and Paradise" by Dante Alighieri, and Illustrated by Gustave Doré

So I finally got the book cases made to mount them, A Christmas Present from the father in law who made it. so I thought I would share with all you book lovers

"Hi Res Images"

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1566/imag0750o.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2356/imag0751t.jpg
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how will you read them now?
    I would probably never ever read these two books themselves, but if I were it is simple, I open the door on the cabinet :)
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I would probably never ever read these two books themselves

er what?
    They're antiques, a collectors item, I would be to worried about my grubby paws ruining them to handle them.
    But what's the point in having books if you're not going to read them? It's like having a beautiful Apple computer that you don't want to use in case it gets broken. Books are made to be read, not looked at.
    Because they are pretty, very very pretty :) It is like buying a Antique ornament, you buy it because it looks very pretty :) they are VERY very delicate, I guess at the moment I am too scared to read them, maybe one day with a white glove :p
    grace wrote: »
    But what's the point in having books if you're not going to read them? It's like having a beautiful Apple computer that you don't want to use in case it gets broken. Books are made to be read, not looked at.

TRUTH.

I like my books to be pretty, and would probably spend a bit extra on something like the ones at The Folio Society (and have done - bought Schindler's Ark (they don't have it anymore :() for my sister last year), but books are for READING.
    I can understand that. I like your book casing. I have friends who buy knitting yarn as ornaments, to touch rather than to knit, I guess it's like that.
    I appreciate that Franki, and I agree, I have paperback versions of both Vision of Hell and Paradise and Purgatory but would you really trust yourself to read a book that cost several hundreds of pounds?
    Precisely RG, I bought them as they were pretty, and are also an investment but mainly because they are pretty, I love the look of old books and the plates in them are amazing.
    I appreciate that Franki, and I agree, I have paperback versions of both Vision of Hell and Paradise and Purgatory but would you really trust yourself to read a book that cost several hundreds of pounds?

Nope, but that's why I wouldn't buy one. If I did, it would be one that had an interesting cover and wasn't just blank :/

Sorry, not my cup of tea.
    I agree, the outside cover isn't the best, but I like it, I do mostly display the inside plates, Gustave Doré's illustrations are beautiful.
    how will you read them now?

read? Hey I have a television!

but in all seriousness. Those are collector items and you should not handle them roughly. You can always read the copies. You can't just go into a museum take the Blue Mauritius out of the cabinet, stick it on your christmas cards and be like, "LOL, stamps are meant to be used on letters not display cases."

I am with OP on this.
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    read? Hey I have a television!

but in all seriousness. Those are collector items and you should not handle them roughly. You can always read the copies. You can't just go into a museum take the Blue Mauritius out of the cabinet, stick it on your christmas cards and be like, "LOL, stamps are meant to be used on letters not display cases."

I am with OP on this.

Books are healthier. lol
    Hey love the cabinet! Could do with some polish on it though. :3 I guess what your plan is by locking them old books in that cabinet is to keep history going. I have my mum's Windows installation discs which are Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP and I've added a lot of other versions of Windows to it just to keep history going and to stop it from disappearing. I hope you get what I'm saying.
    Really, the funny thing is the cabinet is newly varnished in the style I requested to go with the rest of the new furniture :/
    Really, the funny thing is the cabinet is newly varnished in the style I requested to go with the rest of the new furniture :/

O, eye sea. :3 looks like anyway. I just like dark warm colours which is probably why I said it needed varnishing. lol :D me likes
    Good for you :/
    XHelenBX wrote: »
    Hey love the cabinet! Could do with some polish on it though. :3 I guess what your plan is by locking them old books in that cabinet is to keep history going. I have my mum's Windows installation discs which are Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP and I've added a lot of other versions of Windows to it just to keep history going and to stop it from disappearing. I hope you get what I'm saying.

I somehow dont think windows discs compare to valuable antique books.
    O, eye sea. :3 looks like anyway. I just like dark warm colours which is probably why I said it needed varnishing. lol :D me likes

But you said it needed polishing, not varnishing.
    Frankly I am utterly insulted that my books have been compared to a set of windows disk, Something which I have in excess supply :/
    the first one looks really pretty :)
    Thanks, :)
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I somehow dont think windows discs compare to valuable antique books.

Correct but they are history like antique books. :3
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    But you said it needed polishing, not varnishing.

I mean't varnish sorry.
    Frankly I am utterly insulted that my books have been compared to a set of windows disk, Something which I have in excess supply :/

Sorry. :( I do like your books, you know?

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
    :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

don't really get why that would get one of those mate.

like, she meant varnishing and said sorry and that she likes your books, why not pick up on that?

get overrrrr it/yerself.

Something I did yesterday is history as well. Windows discs could easily be copied or procured if someone wanted them. Antique books not so much.

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=11885129
    I could buy Windows 95 for £6
    Going back to the OP, I think thats awesome and kudos to father in law for making it!

I collect Cicely Mary Barker's flower fairy books, mainly first editions which I've picked up in charity shops for naff all... I occasionally look at them but I just like having them...and I'm aware that now shoots my hard-ass image in the foot (not that it was working anyway)!