Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Music videos going too far (may be triggering)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I know it's unusual to have a trigger warning on a thread outside Health and Wellbeing, but there will probably be things discussed here that are difficult to read. I will not be including links to these videos.

When it first came out, I found the video of Christina Aguilera's Beautiful really shocking because of its depiction of eating disorders.

Yesterday, I was in the Common Room when music TV was on and saw the (presumably censored for TV) video for P!nk's Fucking Perfect. I don't particularly want to find out what they cut out, it was particularly awful, showing self-harm and an eating disorder.

What I don't understand is why it's seen as acceptable to show these things with no warning whatsoever.

Is it going too far, or do music videos have artistic license to do whatever they want?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I agree with you absolutely. I watched that video last night after B-A's post in the hug thread in health and I was LIVID. The uncut version is horrible, even for me who isn't triggered by anything at all. I'm almost tempted to find out who I can go and make a noise at about it because I think it's disgusting that something like that can be shown on television without any prior warning.

:grump:
  • Options
    Ofcom I would guess?

Might be a really good one for askTheSite.
  • Options
    Ooooh good idea, ta :)
  • Options
    On another note, I'm intrigued. Might have to be a task for my gap between work and leaders meeting to find out. But then I don't want to give it another viewing.
  • Options
    Hmmm, there's not really a category on askTheSite for it to fit in :/
  • Options
    It was pretty :eek2: and unecessary imo.

I think you can depict SH without having to make it so graphic. (Things that spring to mind are music videos by Linkin Park and Between The Trees)
  • Options
    i think it was quite graphic and maybe could do with a warning, but i think artistically it was appropriate for the song
  • Options
    I watch too much baaad stuff for this to have an impact.
  • Options
    I don't normally get triggered by anything... but that video made me sick :crying: Bought back so many bad memories.

I really think it should have a warning, or be an 18 on youtube... I mean Ce Lo Green Fuck You is an 18 on youtube!! The whole censoring thing on there is balls.
  • Options
    i watched the pink video after reading about it on here. because, you know, i'm my own worst enemy.

i was heavily triggered. we'll say no more. it shouldn't be allowed. especailly by an artist who as i understand it has a huge following of young impressionable girls.
  • Options
    reminded me of the cutting scene from rules of attraction. maybe a little bit off topic but i really dont like artists like pink who seem to make all their cash out of exploiting the angst of young teenage girls. pink is what..30 now? it's kinda gross
  • Options
    i really dont like artists like pink who seem to make all their cash out of exploiting the angst of young teenage girls. pink is what..30 now? it's kinda gross

:yes:

my brother works at the NIA sometimes and he was there when pink was playing and he said it was ALL young girls with their mums.
  • Options
    whats her age got to do with anything?
  • Options
    I like Pink.. and I'm an oldie.
  • Options
    a lot, i would have thought she would progress as a songwriter to something beyond boys, high school and broken hearts but i guess she knows her market and she's sticking to it.
  • Options
    any other artists you feel you should have a say in what they want to create, or should conform to your expectations of what a certain age should be doing or just her??

WHEN I WAS A GIRL, it was the likes of Morrissey and his understanding of teenage angst and songs about adolescent pain that actually got me through my teenage years
  • Options
    The world is not an internet message board.

It would be a crying shame, if all art, music, drama, films, had to constantly be censored to avoid accidently triggering or upsetting people.
    Some things you see in day to day life WILL be triggering. There may be certain music that triggers unwanted emotions in me, and some films ive just had to turn off because i found it upsetting. Thats just life.
    Some people may be upset by that video, others may find it helpful.
  • Options
    I don't think for one minute that art, drama, films should be censored.

However, I think that this is different....
  • Options
    why?
  • Options
    Due to the age of her average fan. I think she has certain responsibilities, and that includes not showing stuff that graphic.
  • Options
    maybe her average fan like her style already and thats why shes got where she is? Maybe she wouldnt have even got famous if shed just done pretty love songs that never offended or shocked anyone
  • Options
    There's a big difference between being offensive and shocking and being graphic and triggering.
  • Options
    I am against censorship, I don't for one second believe for example that violent computer games MAKE teenage boys go out and commit crimes....

Likewise I don't believe a young girl would sit watching that and end up hurting herself because of it, she would obviously have much deeper lying issues that would have been brought to the surface by some other song/film/tv show anyway.

By all means though there should be a warning attached to it warning people of the graphic images.

On a side note, the song actually has a pretty positive message and is probably the only Pink song I have ever liked
  • Options

It would be a crying shame, if all art, music, drama, films, had to constantly be censored to avoid accidently triggering or upsetting people.
    Some things you see in day to day life WILL be triggering. There may be certain music that triggers unwanted emotions in me, and some films ive just had to turn off because i found it upsetting. Thats just life.

I agree. Surely showing any alcohol on TV runs the risk of triggering a recovering alcoholic, for example? And presumably part of the recovery process is learning to be able to live with the fact that you're going to be surrounded by such images in the media and elsewhere?

That's not to say the music industry doesn't bear any responsibility. I'm not a fan of the radio-friendly edits of songs off really explicit albums, for example. Put the original out there, and let the censors decide when it is allowed to be played. The only reason for these edits is to get a wider and younger audience for the music. Kinda ruins any artistic credibility though, since you obviously don't care what the lyrics say if you're willing to change them for money.
  • Options
    There's a big difference between being offensive and shocking and being graphic and triggering.

no there isnt, and its totally subjective.
  • Options

I completely agree.
  • Options
    no there isnt, and its totally subjective.

I agree with that. I was once set off by seeing a person using a craft knife in a framing shop, it's so hard to gauge something like that.

But I do agree that it would be appropriate to post a warning.
  • Options
    i get triggered sometimes by very slim people, or beautiful people. Maybe they should all carry a warning?

The people who seem to think that video is unacceptable because they have a shot of someone who has self harmed, are also all posting in that long thread with really potentially triggering stuff, probably making themselves all feel worse in the process.
    You need to just learn to deal with seeing stuff thats not nice sometimes, and while certain things maybe upsetting, it isnt pinks video thats going to make someone go and self harm if they werent already gonna do it.
  • Options
    and the whole "triggering" thing annoys me anyway.
    Its like putting the blame on someone else for what you do.
    The trigger is always your own head. Nothing else
  • Options
    i get triggered sometimes by very slim people, or beautiful people. Maybe they should all carry a warning?

The people who seem to think that video is unacceptable because they have a shot of someone who has self harmed, are also all posting in that long thread with really potentially triggering stuff, probably making themselves all feel worse in the process.
    You need to just learn to deal with seeing stuff thats not nice sometimes, and while certain things maybe upsetting, it isnt pinks video thats going to make someone go and self harm if they werent already gonna do it.

That's a fair point. The conversation was being had so I thought it was worth moving over.

What really intrigues me is whether it's considered any more or less offensive or damaging than the culture of using women as attractive props in other types of music - the American rap culture of displaying dancers in next-to-nothing, for example.

Offensive language and nudity are warned against, I don't think it's inappropriate to post a warning when there is violence in a video irrespective of whether the violence is self-inflicted.