Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Mashed potatoes!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I always fail at making mash potatoes.... I get the amounts wrong, and it is either too milky, too potatoey, too salty, etc, yeah you get the idea.

I've tried looking up recipes online, and they either seem way too fancy or just too complicated for me :p

Can anyone help me out :heart: ?

Comments

• Options
    I always fail at making mash potatoes.... I get the amounts wrong, and it is either too milky, too potatoey, too salty, etc, yeah you get the idea.

I've tried looking up recipes online, and they either seem way too fancy or just too complicated for me :p

Can anyone help me out :heart: ?

I don't use milk, or butter. I just mash them on their own (drained, obv) and then taste and season. So you mix the seasoning in once you've mashed them, that seems to work ok for me.
  • Options
    I do it by eye so I can't help. While I'm draining the potatoes, I heat some milk and butter in a pan, then mash in the potatoes, then add seasoning.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I do it by eye so I can't help. While I'm draining the potatoes, I heat some milk and butter in a pan, then mash in the potatoes, then add seasoning.

Yeah that's what my mum does. :chin:
  • Options
    Boil the potatoes for about 20-30 minutes before you try and mash them, and don't go overboard with anything. Maris piper or king edwards are best for mashed potatoes, as they go all lovely and fluffy when you boil them.

I don't use set amounts of anything because how much milk you need depends on the potatoes. However if you put too much milk in just reduce the excess off. Just add salt and pepper a bit at a time and keep tasting it.
  • Options
    There's the blonde Scary Monster method that seems to work well.

No seasoning, that's naff, always ends up tasting salty and if people want it they can add it on their plate.

Boil potatoes til they're thoroughly cooked, stick a fork in and they start to come apart type thing.

Drain them in the pan, over the sink using the lid. Or if you're too clumsy for that, use the colander but put them straight back into the pan.

Leave the heat on under the pan.

Add bit of butter, real butter, not margarine rubbish. 0.5cm slice from a normal packet is a good starting point.

Mash.

As you mash, if it's not looking like mash, add a splash of milk. Only a splash. If still doesn't look like mash and stick together, add some more. Repeat till looks like mash.

If you do it in the hot pan, then you don't need to heat the milk separately or owt like that.
  • Options

No seasoning, that's naff, always ends up tasting salty and if people want it they can add it on their plate.

Boil potatoes til they're thoroughly cooked, stick a fork in and they start to come apart type thing.

Drain them in the pan, over the sink using the lid. Or if you're too clumsy for that, use the colander but put them straight back into the pan.

Add bit of butter, real butter, not margarine rubbish. 0.5cm slice from a normal packet is a good starting point.

Mash.

As you mash, if it's not looking like mash, add a splash of milk. Only a splash. If still doesn't look like mash and stick together, add some more. Repeat till looks like mash.

If you do it in the hot pan, then you don't need to heat the milk separately or owt like that.

Yep this is what i do, but sometimes i dont even use milk. Just mash up the spuds with some butter and tada!
  • Options

Mash.

I'll attempt this tonight and let you know how it goes ;)
  • Options
    Hvae you got a whisk, electirc or hand ?

If you've got an electric one, use that to mash ya spuds up. If you've got a hand whisk mash the spuds have people have suggested then give them a damn good beating before you serve them with the whisk.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Hvae you got a whisk, electirc or hand ?

If you've got an electric one, use that to mash ya spuds up. If you've got a hand whisk mash the spuds have people have suggested then give them a damn good beating before you serve them with the whisk.

I don't have a whisk or a masher. All I have is a fork :p
  • Options
    u deffo need a masher lol x
  • Options
    Also, you might want to try mayo instead of butter/marg.

Also, I will give the spuds a quick mash to break then up and then I use a mizer to cream them...

Both tend to make your mash smoother and creamier
  • Options
    Also, you might want to try mayo instead of butter/marg.

You're the second person I've heard suggest this! Is it common? I thought it was madness when I first heard it.

I usually use butter and a splash of double cream.
  • Options
    Quark works pretty well too.
  • Options
    :yes: and other cream cheese like Philly.
  • Options
    My mash is great!

...or so my boys (16 and 19) tell me. All I use is a tiny amount of milk and a very small knob of butter added to 6 or 7 small potatoes once they're cooked. I use a hand masher, and never go overboard to make it too fluffy and lightweight.

But then again.. the subtleties may be lost because thery then smother it with ketchup or fruity sauce!!
  • Options
  • Options
    Strangest tip i've ever gotten was to use a bit of the liquid left in the pan from roast chicken, BEST TIP EVER if you use a decent chicken.
  • Options
    I once wanted to make mashed potatoes quickly so I put one in the microwave to soften it. Did not work out that well... http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.171064012914084.34464.100000314599737&l=11f25a84f7
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    I once wanted to make mashed potatoes quickly so I put one in the microwave to soften it. Did not work out that well... http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.171064012914084.34464.100000314599737&l=11f25a84f7

:lol: Manda, I love you :p
  • Options
    Manda - are you my long-lost sister by any chance? That's the sort of thing I'd end up doing.
  • Options
    I actually love Aunt Bessie's frozen mashed potato. It's nice and creamy. Never do it on the cooker though, as it never goes right, always the microwave.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Manda - are you my long-lost sister by any chance? That's the sort of thing I'd end up doing.

We better make sure somebody else does the cooking at the next family holiday! ;)
  • Options
    *Lea* wrote: »
    I actually love Aunt Bessie's frozen mashed potato. It's nice and creamy. Never do it on the cooker though, as it never goes right, always the microwave.

That...sounds vile.