Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Diet starts next Tuesday (25th)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello,

I used to be a size 6 but since taking risperidone (an anti-pyschotic) my weight has really gone up - by a few stone. It makes me hungry a lot so I eat more as well as making me more lathargic so I exercise less. So I have to fight against it. Other than that it's completely changed my life for the better so I'm going to keep taking it.

I am going to start a diet on 25th January (next Tuesday). My boyfriend is having surgery that day so will be on a liquid diet for a week so I'm going to make lots of soups and smoothies for a week. I am vegetarian too.

Please can you give me some tips and encouragement! Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    Dont really hav much advice, maybe make a table of what you will eat and when, and stick to that??

hope everything goes well *hug*
    (including your boyfriends surgery)
  • Options
    Ah, I know how that goes. I went on Lithium for my bipolar disorder a while back, and gained 30 pounds (just over two stone) almost immediately. I know how much of a struggle it can be to lose that weight, especially while still on the medication. Your problem sounds just like what the Lithium did to me--increased my appetite and slowed my metabolism all in one go. What a pain.

I applaud you for putting your mental health above your size, a lot of people would choose the opposite even though it may not be best for them in the long-term. That's something that took me years to accept, that I would have to make some compromises in order to be able to feel my best.

The best tip I can give you for losing weight is to not change too much too fast. If you cut out all your favorite (albeit not so healthy) foods at once, you're more likely to slip later and it's real discouraging when that happens. All foods can fit in moderation. Start eating less, but go slow if you plan to cut certain foods out entirely rather than limiting them. When you do cut them out, replace them with healthier alternatives. Get your crunchy fix with air-popped popcorn instead of crisps, for instance. I've found dried fruit to be helpful when I want something sweet for a snack. Replacing foods with similar-but-healthier options seems to be the way to go.

Also, if you're switching to diet soda, I recommend Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Barq's Root Beer if you have that in the UK, I don't remember if you do or not. They definitely tasted the best to me when I was on my diet soda kick. xD

Good luck, I hope you're able to make the progress you're aiming for. :)
  • Options
    Look for things that are high protein and/or high fiber for snacks and meals. They will keep you feeling full. My biggest thing is to give in to cravings. I'm just a weak person, but if I want a cookie and don't have one, I'll eat the whole box later. If I want a cookie and have one then, then all is good.

The food journal is also a good idea. Even if you take a taste or just a bite of something. It is good to realize what you eat, why and help analyze any changes you may like to make.

But most of all, don't let the diet or anything bring you down. Most important thing is your mental health.

Good luck with everything. *hug* :heart:
  • Options
    Hiya
    Its great to see you are doing the right thing staying on your meds and being sensible about a diet.
    My advise is this and trust me this would be brilliant for u, slimming world u can eat unlimited amounts of free food which includes potaoes eggs rice beans and pulses ect all fruit and vegetable you get to choose a healthy a choice which can be milk or cheese and healthy 2 healthy b choices which can be bread and stuff, then you can have between 5 and 15 syns which is naughty food:d .
    Years ago i lost over 3 stone on this eating plan its great if u have a good appetite x
  • Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement and support guys. I think I will join Slimming World as there are meetings right near here. I suggestions you have all made and am going to try them. I like Dr Pepper Zero so will have that and I'll try writing down what I'm eating. Also I need to try to do a bit more exercise. My friend recommended the book Susie Orbach On Eating so I've ordered it fromm Amazon. I'm going to a wedding at the end of September so will try to lose weight by then.
  • Options
    Slimming World is good, RG :yes:.
  • Options
    Congrats on the decision RG and good luck with the meds- antipsychs and the like seems to be really harsh! when i took some earlier this year they knocked me out for stretches of 12hrs at a time! Let us know how you get on with the dieting :)
  • Options
    My first Slimming World meeting is tomorrow. Been researching online. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    :) Hiya Goodluck you will be fine all the people i ever met are really lovely at s.w, it is a great eating plan an u can eat lots and lots and lots, they have a new plan called extra easy where u get to eat lean cuts of meat with the potatoes , where as years ago it was red and green which was still good but i used to miss my meat when on a green day .x
  • Options
    good luck rg :)
  • Options
    The meeting went well. So far the eating ("food optimising" they call it) is going really well. With so much "free" food on Slimming World I can eat loads and not get hungry which is really good as the medication gives me such an appetite. I'm actually really enjoying it. And I had a chocolate bunny last night which was yummy and fine as I just counted it and was still well under my daily allowance. We'll see if I lose any weight doing this...
  • Options
    RG if you like, we can swap food diaries every week if that would help?

I need to get back into the SW thing :/
  • Options
    RG if you like, we can swap food diaries every week if that would help?

I need to get back into the SW thing :/

That sounds good Franki. How are you doing now? You seemed a bit upset in the other thread I read.
  • Options
    So far the Slimming World is going well. I've lost 4lb in total.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    That sounds good Franki. How are you doing now? You seemed a bit upset in the other thread I read.
    I put on fiveandahalflbs this week. I feel massive today. Everything is shit. Yay!

Sigh. I'm glad yours is going well :heart:.
  • Options
    I'll pm you x
  • Options
    you could just need a big poo Franki. im starting slimming world next week
  • Options
    try my fitness pal http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and add me on there and we can share food diaries xx
  • Options
    you could just need a big poo Franki. im starting slimming world next week
    I'm hoping that was it ;).
  • Options
    try my fitness pal http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ and add me on there and we can share food diaries xx
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/rawrimapanda :)
  • Options
    gotcha! im suzycreamcheese on there too if anyone wants to add me
  • Options
    you need to set your food diary to public or friends only, so i can be nosy :)
  • Options
    Done :)
  • Options
    its sooo much harder than you might think to stay within your cals.
    Its taken me a good couple of weeks to get the hang of it without being too hungry, but i did have to change my plan to only lose half a pound a week instead of 1, as i found the 1200 cals too restrictive and i kept being disheartened every time i went over. Im on 1400ish now, which doesnt sound a lot more, but its definitely much easier, and i try and keep between the two figures
  • Options
    Might have to change mine. I'll probably be changing my exercise thing as well, tbf. I'm clearly not only doing 2h a week esp. if I'm walking the dogs twice a day too.
  • Options
    Seriously, two apples are 202 calories?! I doubt that VERY much...
  • Options
    yeah, add all the exercise you do too, and that gives you a bit of leeway with your calories too. It takes a bit of tweaking to notice trends and what your weaknesses are - like certain times of days you prefer to eat more etc.

Ive been trying to have lighter breakfasts and lunches so i can have a normal good meal in the evenings and maybe a snack, because when i first started logging, i was eating a normal breakfast, normal lunch AND snacking and grazing most of the day, then a big meal in the evening and wondering why i was gaining weight.
    Its so easy to underestimate how much youre eating, and overestimate what you actually need.
    How much weight loss have you put as your goal? 1200 cals seems quite low considering youre about 10 foot
  • Options
    Seriously, two apples are 202 calories?! I doubt that VERY much...
    youd be surprised. Theyre quite sugary. I reckon a small apple is about 75 cals, so if it was a big apple, that doesnt sound too far off
  • Options
    Haha 10ft :D. I've put myself as wanting to be 147 (10st7), but I might put that up to 11st7 instead too :/
  • Options
    i just checked. A pink lady apple it says is 50 cals.

hmm. Its probably harder to get exact calories with natural foods where the nutrition would vary from item to item.
    I guess the system isnt perfect