Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Where do you stand politically?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    I live in a town in England. There aren't guns around here.

England has guns. Maybe you don't know anyone in your specific town who has one (since they're illegal, they probably wouldn't tell you anyway), but yes there are guns in England.
  • Options
    Who is 'they'? And yes, I am aware that there are guns in England but, there are only a few places where I would go to and expect that people have guns, the odd country house or farm, or some of the cities.
  • Options
    Who is 'they'? And yes, I am aware that there are guns in England but, there are only a few places where I would go to and expect that people have guns, the odd country house or farm, or some of the cities.

You said there were no guns. In fact, they exist in your country of residence, if not in your specific neighborhood. That was my only point, that criminals can indeed have guns even though you said you didn't think that they would. And "they" refers to gun-owners. Since it is illegal to have one they (those who own them) would likely not broadcast it to everyone.
  • Options
    Except for the criminals who don't mind going through the black market to get their guns. :)

But you average criminal is only going to get a gun if they feel the need to own one. In the UK, carrying a weapon increases the risk of getting caught (since anyone carrying a weapon is a criminal by definition, making the police's job of identifying criminals much easier), and massively increases the prison term you will receive if you're caught. As a result, your average junkie or opportunistic criminal isn't going to run the risk of carrying a firearm, which they might do in the higher-risk environment of a country where everyone has a gun at home.
  • Options

Unless you live a tiny little hamlet or such like I'd wager there are people in your town with shooters, you can buy or rent one easily in just about every large town or city across the UK. Plenty of serious criminals living in quiet, middle class areas you might not expect to find them.
  • Options
    If they have them, they NEVER get used. I think it's most likely that there aren't any around here.
  • Options
    But you average criminal is only going to get a gun if they feel the need to own one. In the UK, carrying a weapon increases the risk of getting caught (since anyone carrying a weapon is a criminal by definition, making the police's job of identifying criminals much easier), and massively increases the prison term you will receive if you're caught. As a result, your average junkie or opportunistic criminal isn't going to run the risk of carrying a firearm, which they might do in the higher-risk environment of a country where everyone has a gun at home.

That's if they're searched and such to begin with. In England, are private citizens frisked daily on a repeated basis?
  • Options
    Whilst I respect the fact that you are coming in here to stimulate debate, all you seem to have done is fucking annoy people repeatedly with your near circular arguments and the logic that looks like it goes along the lines of if you think you are right then nobody else can be.
  • Options
    That's if they're searched and such to begin with. In England, are private citizens frisked daily on a repeated basis?

...be careful, someone might misconstrue this statement as implying that you believe a large section of the population of England is armed and has managed to keep it secret.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Whilst I respect the fact that you are coming in here to stimulate debate, all you seem to have done is fucking annoy people repeatedly with your near circular arguments and the logic that looks like it goes along the lines of if you think you are right then nobody else can be.

And she-who-shall-not-be-named hasn't been intentionally trying to annoy us across several threads? We're simply responding to other people, we're not intentionally starting any of this shit.
  • Options
    And she-who-shall-not-be-named hasn't been intentionally trying to annoy us across several threads? We're simply responding to other people, we're not intentionally starting any of this shit.

Ever thought of not lowering yourself to the levels of others, using the she started it first argument is childish. If she bothers you that much ignore it.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Ever thought of not lowering yourself to the levels of others, using the she started it first argument is childish. If she bothers you that much ignore it.

Just pointing out that one of your established members is following us around intentionally being annoying, yet your problem is that us newbies have been unintentionally annoying to a few people. Why don't you take your own advice and ignore us, if we're so annoying that you have to keep saying this in multiple threads?
  • Options
    Just pointing out that one of your established members is following us around intentionally being annoying, yet your problem is that us newbies have been unintentionally annoying to a few people. Why don't you take your own advice and ignore us, if we're so annoying that you have to keep saying this in multiple threads?

Out of pure interest, why did a reasonably large group of US citizens decide to come into this UK based advice websire having not being on a forum in a while?
  • Options
    If you post, the thread then gets bumped to the top of the 'New Posts' option, which a lot of people check... No-one is interesting enough for me to follow them around.
  • Options

No, but we have enough CCTV to film a real life version of The Truman Show and police with eyes. The point is why would you take the risk carry a gun that will land you with years in prison when carrying out a crime that will result in a community service order? And there's no point carrying a gun if you can never pull it out, because the second you do, several cameras have just caught you doing it, and you're now under investigation even if you didn't do anything else wrong.
  • Options

Um, what? As I can see, I am have a rather nice back-and-forth with MoK and I'm With Stupid. The only one I've derided thus far has been katralla, who has had a hair up her ass about us since we got here. Yet your attention is focused solely on us. Why?
    Out of pure interest, why did a reasonably large group of US citizens decide to come into this UK based advice websire having not being on a forum in a while?

I'm not answering this question again. It's been answered over and over again. If you care enough to know, you'll care enough to look for where it's been asked elsewhere.
    No, but we have enough CCTV to film a real life version of The Truman Show and police with eyes. The point is why would you take the risk carry a gun that will land you with years in prison when carrying out a crime that will result in a community service order? And there's no point carrying a gun if you can never pull it out, because the second you do, several cameras have just caught you doing it, and you're now under investigation even if you didn't do anything else wrong.

It really comes down to a case-by-case basis because a bank heist, for example, typically doesn't result in community service.
  • Options
    The only one I've derided thus far has been katralla, who has had a hair up her ass about us since we got here.

I'm too smooth for that, thanks.
  • Options
    chortle. nope.
  • Options

Depends if they're black
  • Options
    It really comes down to a case-by-case basis because a bank heist, for example, typically doesn't result in community service.

No, but then nobody ever goes into a bank heist without weapons anyway, so that's not exactly a good example. An armed robbery of any type is a high risk, high reward crime, but you're not going to get someone carrying one out at the local convenience store for a measly few hundred pounds in the UK, because it's not worth the risk. My point was that low-level criminals will not deem it worth carrying a gun, because they have no motivation to do so, since their victims aren't carrying and neither are the police.
  • Options
    Low level criminals wouldn't commit the crimes they would if they knew their target was armed either. :P
  • Options
    so... there are no petty criminals inthe Staes.

Yawn

don't expect to be spoon fed.
  • Options
    How many States are without gun control in the U.S.? Don't expect to be spoon fed.
  • Options
    I really don't care, I have no intention of visiting that godforsaken hole of religious lunatics
  • Options
    Ummm.... no offence intended to our nice American posters.
  • Options
    No worries. Your ignorance wouldn't have been a welcome addition to the melting pot. ;)
  • Options
    yes, yours is ample.
  • Options
    chuckle
  • Options
    LOL Nice comeback.
  • Options
    Except for the criminals who don't mind going through the black market to get their guns. :)

Certainly in the UK, the amount of black market guns are so proportionately low to the population and generally, criminals tend to use them on criminals. I would not wish for us all to carry weapons in anticipation of the unlikely scenario I encounter a gun-toting criminal. I haven't thus far in my life and I likely never will.