Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Abortion pill to become widely available

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well why are you anti abortion then? please tell.
    I had an abortion at 17 when i was living as a lodger with my boyfriend who i kept coming home finding hed tried to kill himself. I knew i was in no position to bring up a child. The reason I got pregnant, was because I was so severely bulimic at the time, that it had cancelled out my contraceptive pill (ok ok it seems obvious it would do that in hindsight) but bald dog, please tell me why you think i should have had that baby when i really didnt want it.
  • Options
    Im anti abortion in general terms but it depends on the individual case.....Your circumstances, I dont have a problem with....My views are mainly based on personal responsibility..
  • Options
    dont you think that a woman has the right to choose what happens to her own body? I would have thought that morally a womans rights would overide the rights of an embryo. to say otherwise surely gives women the status of walking incubators and nothing more.
    personally I think bringing up a child is far too important to go into unless you are completely sure and ready for it. every child should be a wanted child.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    dont you think that a woman has the right to choose what happens to her own body? I would have thought that morally a womans rights would overide the rights of an embryo. to say otherwise surely gives women the status of walking incubators and nothing more.
    personally I think bringing up a child is far too important to go into unless you are completely sure and ready for it. every child should be a wanted child.

I think a woman has to have the right to choose but she should also not expect the medical profession to bail her out everytime she wan't to take a risk with her contraception!

It's a very important issue and I think that allowing women abortion on demand without any kind of conselling is the wrong way to go...this does not mean I'm anti abortion just that I think women should be encouraged to make better choices before they have to resort to the termination of an embryo.

I think all too often both sides (Pro and Anti) make sweeping final statements without trying to understand other people's situations and the possible consequences of their views.

Yes - every child should be a wanted child but a child you may have wanted at 8 months pregnant may not be wanted when it's 8 months old - what do you do then?? and what does a person do when they have had bad advice and been pressured into an abortion only to regret it for the rest of their life. Its these people we need to protect by offering better advice, choice and counselling in the beginning.
  • Options
    Ok, I'm really naive about this so bear with me!

A friend of mine had a miscarriage a few years ago, and afterwards, she had to go and have a D&C to ensure that the uterus was completely clear so she wouldn't get an infection.
    Medical abortion works in two stages: first women are given a tablet of the drug mifepristone, which blocks a hormone needed to make a fertilised egg cling to the womb lining.
    After 48 hours, patients are given a dose of a different drug triggering contractions and bleeding and causing the foetus to be lost.

So if this pill works in a way to lose the foetus like a miscarriage then wouldn't someone have to have the surgery or get checked out to ensure that no tissue remains which may cause an infection anyway?:confused: Or is no D&C needed at all? Gah I really need some clarification.
  • Options
    Originally posted by go_away
    Ok, I'm really naive about this so bear with me!

So if this pill works in a way to lose the foetus like a miscarriage then wouldn't someone have to have the surgery or get checked out to ensure that no tissue remains which may cause an infection anyway?:confused: Or is no D&C needed at all? Gah I really need some clarification.

I believe you have to go to the surgery to have the foetus 'flushed' out. This isn't a pill you get neck and bugger off home before dropping bloody mess down the toilet a couple of days later, it something which is controlled throughout by medical staff and will involve consultation with a doctor.

I think the argument boils down to choice, if the potential parents are agreed an abortion is the best action for them, then its only right they have the choice to do it as safely as possible.
  • Options
    If you want an abortion (But not through the abortion pill) you have to go to see a doctor who will ask you questions so that he can tick the little boxes on his 'allowing an abortion form' - something like

1. Will the birth of this baby cause mental distress to the mother
    2. Will the birth of this baby cause Physical distress to the mother or the child

etc...

once that is done the doctor will have to get another doctor to agree to the termination.

At some point you will also have to see a doctor who will examine you internally and do a scan to see how far gone you are and to confirm the pregnancy! This may be done in the same place that women who want to be mothers are wandering about waiting for their 6 month check up.

An appointment is then arranged for he woman to go to the Hospital and another for counselling.

On the day of the termination you will spend about 4 hours at the hospital. Once you have had your digestive and a cup of tea and a check up they will send you home, unless there is a problen when they might have to perform a D&C.

After that it is recommended that you go back to your doctor for another internal check up.

With the abortion pill as far as I'm aware you have to go to see a medical professional and they have to wait once you have taken the pill to check it has worked properly there is a chance you will need a D & C.

they use the abortion pill successfully in France. and have done for years but this kind of miscarriage/abortion surely has to be monitored. I don't think I would have liked to have been left at home to take the pill and just wait. I'd want a bit of support.
  • Options
    when i had my termination I wasnt offered any counselling at all, i dont know how different it is these days, also the male doctor who did the internal examination was horrible, and when i asked if i could have a female doctor examine me instead he said only if i made an appointment for another few weeks! he then said something along the lines of obviously id been seen by men in the past so what would it matter if he saw me. at the scan they had to do an internal scan instead of a normal one - not very nice.
    All in all its a very traumatic and degrading thing to go through and I dont believe anyone would see it as an easy option. Hopefully now theres a non surgical option, the experience would be far less traumatic.
  • Options
    I'm surprised you weren't offered counselling. It's usually offered BEFORE the termination just so that you can be sure you are OK with the procedure. When I was examined the doctor (Male) was very nice but I was embarrassed because I'd only had one partner.

If mine had said anything like that to me I would have made a complaint.

A perso should be treated with respect whatever medical procedure they are having done.
  • Options
    Id only had one partner at the time too. It really upset me and I should have complained really but i just wanted it over and done with.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Id only had one partner at the time too. It really upset me and I should have complained really but i just wanted it over and done with.

and that is how arseholes like him get away with it.

Too many people accept the way they are treated by doctors because... ...well because they are doctors. No-one would accept that kind of rude behaviour anywhere else. So why accept it from them?

Have you ever heard of Rodney Ledward?

He worked at one of my hospitals, and was a butcher. When doing hysterectomies, he [apparently] would damage the patients bladder, making them incontinent (amongst other things).

Yet no-one complained.

You see, he would tell the patient that they were the only person who had this problem, and they believed him. Why? Because he was their doctor.

Then we found out about it, and the rest is now news...

[/rant]

Sorry, I see too many patients upset by doctors every day. People should complain about bad treatment by their doctor. Although they way he treated you may appear minor, you don't know just how bad he treats some of his other patients...
  • Options
    And...when you get a great doctor you sure as hell want to hold on to him!

I've only had 2 good doctors in my life (I've moved around a lot) and the last one was so good I asked if I could Stay on at that surgery although I was moving to the next area of town - they said no so now I have to go to a surgery where I don't even know which doctor is mine.

The doctor I first had at this surgery was OK but then he died!