Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Abortion pill to become widely available

The government is to make the abortion pill available to family planning centres for faster distribution. Good or bad news?
I, for one, welcome the move, as this procedure will make the process less distressing for women, both psychologically and physically. Just wondered whether anyone here thinks this might be encouraging more women to abort or be careless when having sex, knowing that it'll be easier now to terminate the pregnancy.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Abortion pill to become widely available
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The government is to make the abortion pill available to family planning centres for faster distribution. Good or bad news?
    I, for one, welcome the move, as this procedure will make the process less distressing for women, both psychologically and physically. Just wondered whether anyone here thinks this might be encouraging more women to abort or be careless when having sex, knowing that it'll be easier now to terminate the pregnancy.

Bollocks! I think if the person is irresponsible enough to get herself pregnant in the first place she should go through a little psychological damage, It'll teach her to be more careful in the future. This is just another easy way out and now women all over the country will just pop into the clinic to get rid of the 'after effects' of a one night stand.

This is what it's come down to; to be able to destroy a possible genius or leader's future life with some simple pills before it has the chance to fight for itself. If however the person has been raped, then they should be offered this pill, it wasn't their fault and have already been through enough psychological damage to last a lifetime but they should get it through hospitals, where it can be highly restricted and given out only in extreme circumstances.
  • Options
    Totally agree. This'll just make abortion even more a form of contraception.
  • Options
    If a woman has already made the decison to terminate, then why make her jump through hoops to get it? why make her go through a surgical operation with all the risks of general anaesthetic if she can terminate the pregnancy by taking a couple of pills at an early stage of pregnancy.
    Women often have to wait weeks and weeks for a surgical abortion thereby increasing the physical risks, psychological trauma and means the foetus is more developed. Even with the abortion pill, the woman will still have to see 2 doctors first, so its not going to be a case of popping down the local FPC and getting the pill every time someone has sex.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Abortion pill to become widely available
    Originally posted by Kurt

Bollocks! I think if the person is irresponsible enough to get herself pregnant in the first place she should go through a little psychological damage, It'll teach her to be more careful in the future.

Accidents do happen. My girlfriend and I have had problems with condoms splitting for no apparent reason, only for the woman at the clinic to inform us they were a faulty batch.
    If it wasn't for the morning after pill then we would have both been up shit creek. There is no way we could have been more careful, so why don't you think through all the possible scenarios before you make sweeping statements like that one.

God knows what we would have done if it wasn't available over the counter, being a sunday and all the doctors and clinics being shut.
  • Options

Bollocks! I think if the person is irresponsible enough to get herself pregnant in the first place she should go through a little psychological damage, It'll teach her to be more careful in the future. This is just another easy way out and now women all over the country will just pop into the clinic to get rid of the 'after effects' of a one night stand.

So you think these women should be forced to have babies to `teach them a lesson` as a punishment for having sex?
  • Options
    I was wondering with this sort of pill, up to how many weeks of pregnancy can a medical abortion occur (not a surgical one) because I went to the Bodyworlds exhibition in london, and in the space of a week, an embryo/foetus can grow very quickly, so if a woman had to pass it i.e. through bleeding, would it be possible to see the embryo/foetus? :confused:
  • Options
    the abortion pill can be used up till 9 weeks gestation.
  • Options
    Bollocks! I think if the person is irresponsible enough to get herself pregnant in the first place she should go through a little psychological damage,

Whereas the bloke will continue to get off "scot free"...

Only a man would have said something quite so ludicrous.
    This is what it's come down to; to be able to destroy a possible genius or...

... homicidal maniac

That really isn't an anti-abortion argument, is it - what the person might have become...
  • Options
    It's a hard one.

Some women do find themselves pregnant despite taking great care with their contraception, not to mention those who are raped.
    However, there will always be people out there who think it's ok to use abortion as another form of contraception.
    The problem is you cannot differentiate between the two, it's very easy to lie to a doctor about how you became pregnant and how much of it was down to your own lack of care.

Women seeking abortion using the 'abortion pill' will still need to see two doctors and have some form of counselling before they get the medication so its not like they will be waltzing in and being given the pill on demand.

The main objection people have is because they disagree with the whole concept of abortion to start with, on moral or religious grounds.

We should be worried about the damage abortion can do to some women but they can also be damaged by their pregnancy.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    If a woman has already made the decison to terminate, then why make her jump through hoops to get it?

Of course, this pill being so convenient will more than likely convince some women to abort when they may not have done so beforehand.
  • Options
    It may seem that the 'aportion pill' is more convenient but I'm sure it won't just be an over the couonter job?
    Surely women will have to see their doctor and have some kind of counselling before they are allowed to go ahead, otherwise that really is making it far too easy and it doesn't protect the women from possible trauma.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Of course, this pill being so convenient will more than likely convince some women to abort when they may not have done so beforehand.

Agree that it may influence some women because there is no surgery involved, but a miscarriage (which is what this pill will force) certainly isn't 'convenient' and still requires medical intervention...

What this pill will do, is take away one argument from the anti-abortionists. That the manner of abortion is cruel...the use of vacuum etc..
  • Options
    I think the whole fuss is down to the fact that it is so easily available. Its being made available to schoolgirls and they will be able to pick them up at family planning clinics and their GPs..It sounds like it will be as freely available as condoms at family planning clinics, but we shall have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Well if what you say is true, balddog, then I'd have to oppose such a lax way of prescribing the drug.

It would be awful if young girls started thinking "well...It doesn't matter if I get pregnant - I can always get the abortion pill tomorrow"

Doctors and health care professionals should be there to help people make the decision through conselling and consultation and it shouldn't be down to chemists to prescribe instant 'solutions' to young women who may not have thought about the consequences.

I mean, if a young woman can't think about the consequences of un protected sex, how can she be expected to realise the consequences of the abortion pill.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    It would be awful if young girls started thinking "well...It doesn't matter if I get pregnant - I can always get the abortion pill tomorrow"

Isn't that already covered by the Morning After Pill (MAP)?
  • Options
    Disclaimer....i am going on what ive read in the papers this morning..that paper happens to be the daily mail so i dont put much credence in what they say..I suspect there will be some controls, but we will have to wait to find out.
  • Options

I dont believe that having an abortion pill would convince a woman to abort a baby that she really wanted.
  • Options

I dont believe that having an abortion pill would convince a woman to abort a baby that she really wanted.

Thats not what I was talking about...Its the undecided or people in the middle that it will convince, not that already decided either way.
  • Options
    I actually think that having this available in family planning clinics would be the ideal opportunity for contraception to be discussed and sorted out at the same time. If youre against abortion, then of course you will be against the abortion pill, but its just another method of doing it really, without the need for surgery. Im very sceptical about the idea that lots of women use abortion as contraception, for one, youre only allowed a maximum of 2 abortions on the NHS so i dont see how it could be a good method of contraception, and its hardly the easy option. even the abortion pill isnt just popping down the family clinic for a pill, then problem solved, its a course of 2 pills that would have to take under supervision, and youd still need the consent of 2 doctors and probably an internal examination and maybe a scan. Its not an easy option, its a very difficult decision to make and quite traumatic to go through. If someone actually was stupid enough to think of it as a form of contraception then im pretty sure multiple abortions would be a better choice than multiple unwanted babies for these particular people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

Isn't that already covered by the Morning After Pill (MAP)?

NO - I think they are different.

The morning after pill works so that an egg cannot attach itself to the lining of the womb, the abortion pill actually causes a miscarriage. i.e the woman is already pregnant.

However.. the free distribution morning after pill is no doubt seen as a step in the wrong direction toward the Abortion pill by Pro-lifers
  • Options
    NO - I think they are different.

Sorry, I meant that the "what if I have unprotected sex" argument is covered by MAP...
  • Options

The morning after pill works so that an egg cannot attach itself to the lining of the womb, the abortion pill actually causes a miscarriage. i.e the woman is already pregnant.

A mere question of definitions of "pregnancy", surely? If the egg is fertilised, then it has the capacity to grow into a human being - stopping it from implanting kills it, but at a slightly earlier stage.

Aborting the baby at 9 weeks also kills it. I fail to see the fundamental difference between it implanting and not implanting.

Surely any pure pro-lifer should feel the same? People who accept the morning after pill but have moral objections to this are hypocrites.
  • Options
    Am I automatically classed as pro-life if i am anti-abortion?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei
    Surely any pure pro-lifer should feel the same? People who accept the morning after pill but have moral objections to this are hypocrites.

but then they would also be anti-contraception too...
  • Options
    Am I automatically classed as pro-life if i am anti-abortion?

yes, pro life is another term for anti abortion
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

A mere question of definitions of "pregnancy", surely? If the egg is fertilised, then it has the capacity to grow into a human being - stopping it from implanting kills it, but at a slightly earlier stage.

Aborting the baby at 9 weeks also kills it. I fail to see the fundamental difference between it implanting and not implanting.

youre right there. A lot of anti-choice people see the MAP as the same as abortion, and also disagree with the contraceptive coil on moral grounds as well, as this works by preventing the fertilised egg from implanting in the womb.
  • Options

yes, pro life is another term for anti abortion

But im not pro life
    dunno.gif , or at least thats not the reason im against abortion.

Im sure its nice to be able to group all anti-abortion people as pro-life religious nuts.
  • Options
    If you are anti-life, then why are you against abortion?????
  • Options
    It has to be clear though that the MAP is a form of contraception because many women who take it are not infact pregnant they are just taking a precaution incase they might be.

Not everyone who has unprotected sex is then automatically pregnant! There is no way of knowing if you are within the 78 hours that you have to take the MAP.

The Abortion pill is absolutely different because it actually and definately terminates a pregnancy.
    The MAP doesn't - infact many people are taking the morning after pill, flooding their body full of hormones and yet they are not pregnant at all.

The Abortion pill is very definately 'sorting' a 'problem' out for a woman who already knows she is pregnant.

By the way I am certainly not pro life and I'm sure you'll find that all pro lifers are against the morning after pill too.
  • Options
    If you are anti-life, then why are you against abortion?????

Because its not as simple an issue as some would like to make out.

Anti-life I like that :D ...but im not anti life either....The potential life or death of the fetus is not the reason i am anti-abortion.

I just find it odd that everyone on the anti-abortion side is classed as the same regardless of their views.