Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How many children should other people have?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
some people seem to have pretty strong views on it. From things like "It's weird to not have any kids" to "It's cruel to just have one as only children grow up lonely" and even "they shouldn't be allowed to have that many children, the state should sterilise them". I really don't care how many children other people have, just interested what you all think?

Comments

• Options
    Hmm well personally i always find it a bit sad when people say 'i dont ever want kids' especially when theyre my age but i wouldnt ever judge or tell them that thats wrong. I always wouldnt ever tell someone you shouldnt have loads of kids but occasionally do you see people with a few kids and they clearly dont give a shit about them but its not my place to tell people how to live their lives
  • Options
    The octo mum in America raised the issue of 'too many kids', where loads of people vocalised their disdain. I can't remember what I thought at the time, but now, I definitely don't care.
  • Options
    i think it depends on people's circumstances. for example, their financial circumstances (can they afford to bring up another child?), their housing situation (is their home big enough?), their relationship status (are both parents going to be in the child's life?), etc. i don't think their is a problem with someone having lots of children if the children will have a decent quality of life and receive the love, care and attention they deserve. i will add however, that i think its really bad that some people have more children so they can get more out of the benefits system. it really annoys me. that shouldn't be a reason for having a child.

personally, i want 3 or 4 babies :D i can't have any until me and my bloke buy a bigger house in 3/4 years time though. booooo :( i am very broody lately and would love to have one now!
  • Options
    i dont care as long as theyre treating them well and looking after them properly.
  • Options
    I dont care as long as they are paying for them themselves, and not the tax payer!!
  • Options
    do you not get tax credits?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    The octo mum in America raised the issue of 'too many kids', where loads of people vocalised their disdain. I can't remember what I thought at the time, but now, I definitely don't care.

I think that had more to do with having 8 at a time and the ethical issues with the doctor who, not only implanted her with a dozen embroys, but didn't take into consideration her state of mind.

It seems the tv around here is fascinated with huge families... shows about some woman who had 6 at a time, another about a family with 19 children and who knows what else is out there. And some people can't get enough of reality tv so when your life is saturated with stories about huge families, you're bound to hear nutty stories about peoples opinions in the news... luckily the only opinions I hear in real conversations is about how they should just take that crap off the air.

As for how many people should have? I'm in the I want none catagory because I'd be just a shitty parent :p Though I wouldn't want one either because the boyfriend is an only child and he is so fucking spoiled it makes me sick... even at 33 he is still. I also wouldn't want more than 3, unless I moved to an Amish community... which I totally would. I love the Amish... except in the winter because I'd get cold with no central heating... but for the number other people should have, I just don't care because I don't have to deal with them. As long as the parents love them, because you hear too often of parents abusing or killing their children, and that is sad.
  • Options
    chortle

I get fascinated my real life shows like that, about 'weird' things like people with LOADS of children. Still don't care though.
  • Options
    Try and find TLC shows then... it should be called the freak people channel. The majority of their shows are big families, midget families, polygamy, gross child beauty competitions, I didn't know I was pregnant, and then specials about people with weird medical conditions. Sad what the channel is, really! But if you are into that ;)

http://tlc.discovery.com/
  • Options
    As many as they want as long as they have the capacity to love and support them.

And that includes afford them.
  • Options
    as many as they want to as long as they can support them and give provide them with what they need e.g. love and care as well as nappies and bottles etc.

As long as someone has enough time and love and money to support a kid who should dictate how many they can have? :confused:
  • Options
    If you have the capacity to love and raise them, then why should I care how many?

Personally I think three is enough though but that's more a personal experience and energy level thing ;)
  • Options
    As many as they want as long as they have the capacity to love and support them.

This :yes:
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    some people seem to have pretty strong views on it. From things like "It's weird to not have any kids" to "It's cruel to just have one as only children grow up lonely" and even "they shouldn't be allowed to have that many children, the state should sterilise them". I really don't care how many children other people have, just interested what you all think?
    I don't really mind how many children someone has, I think it that person choice. I am hoping on two or more but less than 4 as it may be to much to handle as times. I think people in poorer countries are more likely to have more kids which is a proven fact, in some coutried such as Japan it's a child pain family. So we all have our views.

Katie :)
  • Options
    I think you mean China. It's illegal to have more than one child there.
  • Options
    i dont care.

i would have said 'i dont mind' but imo it isn't for me to say 'i dont mind'.

personally, one :P depending on the pain..then maybe 2. no more than two!
  • Options
    "Hold on for a minute, let's figure out this food/air deal, okay? Okay."
  • Options
    I was going to post something about the fact that the planet is over-populated and under-resourced, as well as the thousands of kids in this country alone who are up for adoption and that your ability to look after a child is just one consideration in the exercise of your biological prerogative to reproduce, but I'd probably get flamed.
  • Options
    my granny has 8 children.
    her youngest passed away 20 years ago aged just 15 years old :(
    RJ has 2 sons, and 3 granddaughters
    TP has 2 sons, 2 daughters and a grandchild on the way
    WJ has 3 daughters, 1 son and a new baby on the way
    EH has 3 daughters and 1 granddaughter
    AM has 2 sons, a daughter and a grandson on the way
    MA (my mum) has a daughter and 3 sons, (stillborn daughter 17years ago)
    AP has no children

my granda's sister has 12 children lol

i personally think that it's the parents choice to have as many children as they want too.
  • Options
    I was going to post something about the fact that the planet is over-populated and under-resourced, as well as the thousands of kids in this country alone who are up for adoption and that your ability to look after a child is just one consideration in the exercise of your biological prerogative to reproduce, but I'd probably get flamed.

we don't all agree on shit, tell us what you REALLY think.
  • Options

does that mean youre planning on not having kids?
  • Options

I'm giving serious thought to a vasectomy and I haven't sired any children.
  • Options

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. However in my position at the moment, I think it is an act of pure unadulterated selfishness to have children when there are so many out there just crying out for a home and someone to love them.

I may feel different in time, I may not. This is how I feel now.
  • Options
    I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. However in my position at the moment, I think it is an act of pure unadulterated selfishness to have children when there are so many out there just crying out for a home and someone to love them.

I can see your point but I think there will always be many out there without a home whether you decide to spread your seed or not. I don't see procreation as selfish at all, to me it's a natural instinct. But I am looking forward to you becoming the next Angelina Jolie :p

and CptCoatHanger..for god's sake.. NO :razz:
  • Options

bloody hard to adopt though, and most of the children needing adoption are ones with serious special needs and severe behavioural problems.
  • Options
    i think its selfish in one sense to have children, but generally when people dont have children its for more selfish reasons.

I dont think its either right or wrong, but i feel sorry for people who get old and have never had a family. Must be a very lonely old age and kind of a waste
  • Options

:yes:
  • Options
    bloody hard to adopt though, and most of the children needing adoption are ones with serious special needs and severe behavioural problems.

Yeah, it's no joke to adopt. It takes ages, requires people to tick a lot of boxes and shell out a lot of money.

--
    I must confess that a few years ago I was all for people opting not to have kids because the planet was overpopulated. I was going to go down that route. I still think the "we must have a lot of kids to support the elderly" logic is somewhat flawed.

However I got older and met a bloke who has a kid and something inside me eventually cracked. ;) Personally I now think that life without kids will get immensely monotonous eventually.

I don't care so much how many children other people have as long as the children will be cared for properly.
  • Options
    If I had a lot of money I would have like 5 children. But I think I'll have just 2.
  • Options
    as long as people have the jobs/money to support them then they shold have as many as they feel happy, its when people start having 4/5 kids, dont have jobs and expect the rest of the country to pick up the tab for there life choices i think its unfair .