Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How young is too young?

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Kaff wrote: »
    If the 14 and 16 year old are in a long term relationship and are both up for it, I don't think it's TOO bad (although 14 is bloody young), but if the older one is just using the 14 year old and their naivety to get their end away, I'd say they should be ashamed of themselves.

The voice of reason in what seems to have turned into a debate.

StrubbleS/Hellfire - both getting way too personal here, take it to politics if you want to have a full-on discussion about the age of consent because it's really not helpful to the OP.

Fyrefly, the way you've worded your question is ambiguous and it would help to know more about your circumstances to really address your question with responses that will truly help you to make a sensible decision on this one.

So, if you can face coming back, then it would be cool to get this discussion back on track. :)

In the meantime, you might find it helpful to read TheSite.org's article on am I ready for sex to think about both your situation and the girl's in question:

http://www.thesite.org/sexandrelationships/sexuality/awareness/amireadyforsex

You might also find Brooks advice about consent helpful:
    Having sex.

As a young person, you have rights and responsiblities when it comes to sex. Make sure you know what they are.

The age at which it is legal to have sex is called the age of consent. In the UK and Jersey the age of consent is 16 years old for everyone, whether they want to have sex with someone of the same or opposite sex.

The age of consent law was designed to protect young people from harm rather than to prosecute them. If you are under 16 and you are having sex, it’s highly unlikely you will get into trouble as long as there is not a large age difference between you and your partner and you both consent (are happy) to have sex.

For more information on sex and your rights, contact Ask Brook on 0808 802 1234. Your call will be confidential. That means we won't tell anyone about it.

http://www.brook.org.uk/my-rights/sex-relationships-and-your-rights/having-sex

Communication is key here - it's important to have really open chats with this girl to find out how she really feels about it to make sure you're both on the same page before taking things further. :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    The OP did say that they have the opportunity to have sex with a 14 year old. My reaction would be different if the OP had said something like:

And the other persons' feelings...?

I found nothing of his phrasing peculiar or suspicious.

Of course the other persons feelings have to match your own, that's what I am saying the whole time with the word "consensual", but it is of no interest of you if there is consent and meeting of interest or not, because apparently it's wrong and sick either way!
    **helen** wrote: »
    StrubbleS/Hellfire - both getting way too personal here, take it to politics if you want to have a full-on discussion about the age of consent because it's really not helpful to the OP.

And I was under the impression I was one of the few who was actually helping and not saying things like, "Are you serious? You even need to ask. How can you think this is ok?"
  • Options
    is there really a big difference between the mentality or physicality of a 14 and a 16 year old? No
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    Age of consent and things like that are there for a reason, yes. For example to protect children from adult people with twisted sexual desires and problems who have no problem forcing a minor into something for their own gratification, not to prosecute one of two teens in a consensual relationship where one happens to be below the age of consent. Calling that paedophilia is just ridiculous.

hells yes :yes:
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    And I was under the impression I was one of the few who was actually helping and not saying things like, "Are you serious? You even need to ask. How can you think this is ok?"

Sorry StrubbleS - when I say not helpful to the OP, I don't mean in terms of your comments in general, I mean about the comments that belittle others. Those comments aren't helpful to the OP because it moves the discussion away from his situation to a wider debate on consent that was off key for this thread. Hope that makes better sense to you.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    fyrefly wrote: »
    so I'm 16 and have the opportunity to have sex with a 14 year old. what do people think of this this? is it ok to do that? I've read before that the generally excepted rule is half your age + 7 which works out as 15 for me.
    I'm 13 I'm going out with a 16 year old lad we have had sex before so I think it's ok knowing it is not right for my age he was very egar to do it pusshing me to do it so I think it's ok :thumb:
  • Options
    Angel_Abi wrote: »
    I'm 14 I'm going out with a 16 year old lad we have had sex before so I think it's ok knowing it is not right for my age he was very egar to do it pusshing me to do it so I think it's ok :thumb:

Hmmm so he pushed you into it.
  • Options
    I'm 14 I'm going out with a 16 year old lad we have had sex before so I think it's ok knowing it is not right for my age he was very egar to do it pusshing me to do it so I think it's ok :thumb:

Being pushed to do it isn't OK Angel, I'm sorry to hear it happened like that for you.
  • Options

If he pushed you into it thats never ok whether you're 14 or 40
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Which is pretty fucking sick, I mean that's paedophilia

It's hebephilia :p .. Still a crime though, depending where in the world you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebephilia
  • Options

He pushed you in to having sex with him? Im sorry Abi. That is not ok. If he cares about you he shouldnt push you in to doing anything. Wether its sex or something silly like, I dont know, buying a hat. This is for the OP too if they're still reading. Of course its important that as individuals both partners are ready and wanting to do it, and that they discuss how they feel about it with each other, but I think ultimately, it should be down to the more vaulnerable of the couple to decide. Wether its the youngest, or the least experienced or the most emotional fragile.

For all we know the OP could have had no sexual experience before, but the 14 year old might be an expert. In which case its more likely that the 14 year old would be calling the shots anyway. Its really hard to say without knowing the individuals.
  • Options
    I have a Son and a Daughter. my son is becomming a teenager already early at the age of 10 and a half, my daughter will be 8 at christmas, if either of them decided at the age of 14 they wanted to have sex i would feel like i have failed as a parent!!! And thats is on both sides of the coin, i have open discussions with my son and what is right and wrong age and stuff, and with my daughter i hope i have brought her up to have enough self respect to wait until she feels she is ready in mind and body to have sex, a girl wanting to do this must feel she needs the attention otherwise why do it at that age she is hardley emotionally mature for a sexual relationship.
    There is a law and it is there for a reason, why do u think there are so many teenage pregnancies in the uk? Because children who have sex are to imature to realise they can get pregnant!!!!
    x
  • Options
    If my children felt ready to have sex at 14, it wouldnt be ideal, but i wouldnt think id failed as a parent. Thats a bit extreme
  • Options
    If my children felt ready to have sex at 14, it wouldnt be ideal, but i wouldnt think id failed as a parent. Thats a bit extreme

agreed and it's interesting you bring up teenage pregnancies. i would argue that there are a lot of 14 year old mothers who are doing a brilliant job. being ready in mind and body as you say isn't always dependent on age, it varies from individual to individual.

losing your virginity or getting pregnant at such a young age isn't 'ideal' but what is in life?
  • Options
    flowergirl wrote: »
    I have a Son and a Daughter. my son is becomming a teenager already early at the age of 10 and a half, my daughter will be 8 at christmas, if either of them decided at the age of 14 they wanted to have sex i would feel like i have failed as a parent!!! And thats is on both sides of the coin, i have open discussions with my son and what is right and wrong age and stuff, and with my daughter i hope i have brought her up to have enough self respect to wait until she feels she is ready in mind and body to have sex, a girl wanting to do this must feel she needs the attention otherwise why do it at that age she is hardley emotionally mature for a sexual relationship.
    There is a law and it is there for a reason, why do u think there are so many teenage pregnancies in the uk? Because children who have sex are to imature to realise they can get pregnant!!!!
    x

Funny, we obviously have totally different lists. Mine is, no joining the police/military/religious organisations/voting Tory/no needle sharing - as long as those things are avoided I will have succeeded.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Funny, we obviously have totally different lists. Mine is, no joining the police/military/religious organisations/voting Tory/no needle sharing - as long as those things are avoided I will have succeeded.

same. God can you imagine the shame if they did those things
  • Options
    Not voting Tory? Way to encourage her to think for herself... Do you tell her that George Osbourne is hiding under her bed if she doesn't eat her greens?
  • Options
    Are you two serious......
  • Options
    my brother voted tory once. I cant imagine how my mum felt :o :nervous:
  • Options
    Are you two serious......

Regrettably I fear so.

Whilst I may be a true blue and a Catholic to boot, I will encourage any kiddies that I may have in the future to think for themselves, decide for themselves what's right, spiritually, politically and morally, and let them pursue whatever (legal) profession they should choose.
  • Options
    and with my daughter i hope i have brought her up to have enough self respect to wait until she feels she is ready in mind and body to have sex,
    x

I really hope that too, but if this happens to be when she was 14, will you have failed as a parent then?
    a girl wanting to do this must feel she needs the attention otherwise why do it at that age she is hardley emotionally mature for a sexual relationship.

How can you gauge that? Because YOU personally have not been ready at that age? Statistics? Law?

I don't think this is down to age itself (just to some degree), but with sexual education, which I have no idea when and how thorough you have it in the UK. That's why there are some extreme cases of 25 year olds who have no idea where babies came from, because they are living in some weird sect-like commune which would not teach their children about things like that.

I don't think the law is there that protects teens from being stupid and careless. They do it anyway! And a law is not stopping them.
  • Options
    Well this thread did open a can of worms didn't it?
    I guess we all have different opinions on this subject.
    I just hope FYREFLY makes the right choices x
  • Options
    Well this thread did open a can of worms didn't it?
    I guess we all have different opinions on this subject.
    I just hope FYREFLY makes the right choices x

Yes, I agree. Hense why I took a step back..

However I never knew you were a mummy, I guess the girl in flowergirl made me assume. Lol.
  • Options
    Yes, I agree. Hense why I took a step back..

However I never knew you were a mummy, I guess the girl in flowergirl made me assume. Lol.

Likewise
    Yes i am a Mummy of 2 lovely children, but last time i looked i was still a girl lol :D x
  • Options
    Likewise
    Yes i am a Mummy of 2 lovely children, but last time i looked i was still a girl lol :D x

Oh lovely, lol but I'd have picked Woman over Girl ;) LOL...
  • Options
    Oh lovely, lol but I'd have picked Woman over Girl ;) LOL...

flowerwoman sounds a bit tragic though :p
  • Options
    Regrettably I fear so.

Whilst I may be a true blue and a Catholic to boot, I will encourage any kiddies that I may have in the future to think for themselves, decide for themselves what's right, spiritually, politically and morally, and let them pursue whatever (legal) profession they should choose.

Chortle, I don't believe you will, though I believe you think you will.
  • Options
    Wow I feel big. My intelligence, convictions and future parenting skills insulted in one sentence. Nice work.
  • Options
    What do I get?
  • Options
    middle_finger.png