Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why don't men text you back?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For once, this isn't about 'Floor Wanker' as I shall now refer to him, but is actually more a general issue....why don't men text you back??

Or rather, why does it take them about five hours to text back, even when you're asking a simple question? I text a guy last night and when I didn't hear back for almost three hours I text again only to be told he was watching the Apprentice! Can't men multitask, or is it just not important to them? Or, am I being unreasonable in expecting an immediate reponse??

GB xx

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it's a gender specific issue, some people are just more into their phones than others. And then, some people are attached to them at times but then completely ignore the phone at other times - like me.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I don't think it's a gender specific issue, some people are just more into their phones than others. And then, some people are attached to them at times but then completely ignore the phone at other times - like me.

True...I just often think it's rude if someone texts you not to text them back. I always feel bad if I've been away from my phone for ages and someone's text me during that time....although obviously there are some times when you just can't text.

GB x
  • Options
    Like when watching the apprentice, unless you are texting someone who is watching at the same time.
  • Options
    Like when watching the apprentice, unless you are texting someone who is watching at the same time.

Lol :lol:

GB x
  • Options
    Texting is a slow way to communicate. If you're getting upset because of unanswered texts it's better to call. :thumb:

Usually I try to respond to texts but sometimes I just really can't be bothered at the time I receive them. I like to think of my phone as a useful tool, not something I'm a slave to.
  • Options
    I could ask the same question about why I'm waiting for a woman to text me back.

If you replied to every text right away, and then that person sent one back right away too, then you would never stop texting, ever!

It is easy to watch a tv show and text, but it is also quite easy to lose track of what is going on if you really want to concentrate.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a gender specific issue, some people are just more into their phones than others.

Hear, hear.

My phone ain't the boss of me. I'm bigger than it and could defo take it if it messed me about. It's a tool of modern convenience that I refuse to be ruled by: you get your replies when you get your replies.
  • Options
    Hear, hear.

My phone ain't the boss of me. I'm bigger than it and could defo take it if it messed me about. It's a tool of modern convenience that I refuse to be ruled by: you get your replies when you get your replies.

I hear you, it just bugs me, especially when you never get a reply!!

Ach, maybe it's more an insecurity thing with me (like most things) as I'm automatically thinking, 'why hasn't he text me back? What have I done?'

GB x
  • Options
    Ha, women are the same, 7weeks on and a friend still hasnt text me back. Lmao..

Im a serial texter. Aka I always reply as soon as.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Ha, women are the same, 7weeks on and a friend still hasnt text me back. Lmao..

Im a serial texter. Aka I always reply as soon as.

That's what I like to hear :thumb:

GB x
  • Options
    I hear you, it just bugs me, especially when you never get a reply!!

Ach, maybe it's more an insecurity thing with me (like most things) as I'm automatically thinking, 'why hasn't he text me back? What have I done?'

GB x

thats exactly what I think!!
    99% of the time though im worrying over nothing and when i eventually DO get a text back I just find that he's been extra busy, hasnt had time, or hasnt had his phone on him.
    Doesnt stop me worrying though!
  • Options
    Yup.. I'm the same paranoid person. Lol, what's worse is I run out, of people to text.. or because I usually text first, sometimes I hate starting text convos incase I'm bugging them.
  • Options
    soraliah wrote: »
    thats exactly what I think!!
    99% of the time though im worrying over nothing and when i eventually DO get a text back I just find that he's been extra busy, hasnt had time, or hasnt had his phone on him.
    Doesnt stop me worrying though!

Yea i used to be like this, still am a little bit. Im getting better though, you just have to learn to relax and not get so worked up
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    sometimes I hate starting text convos incase I'm bugging them.

Oh yea im the worst for this, then i get the 'it doesnt seem like you're interested in me' talk :banghead:
  • Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Oh yea im the worst for this, then i get the 'it doesnt seem like you're interested in me' talk :banghead:

Sorry your the same, but whoopeeeeee.. I'm not the only one.
  • Options

Oh my God - yes! And then you feel all needy and pathetic and clingy...

GB x
  • Options
    Wow... your actually describing me there...
  • Options
    For once, this isn't about 'Floor Wanker' as I shall now refer to him, but is actually more a general issue....why don't men text you back??

Or rather, why does it take them about five hours to text back, even when you're asking a simple question? I text a guy last night and when I didn't hear back for almost three hours I text again only to be told he was watching the Apprentice! Can't men multitask, or is it just not important to them? Or, am I being unreasonable in expecting an immediate reponse??

GB xx

men do seem to be way slower t replying than girls :)
    i'm only 14 and i now that the boys i bother with take what seems like two years for them to text back because there just not that interested in phones as girls :)
  • Options

Exactly. Also texts can get missed / things get forgotten. I hate how some people read deeply into the time it takes for someone to text back.
  • Options
    If it takes me 3 hours to reply to a text during the daytime, then you have to respect the fact that I'm at work. (or school classes / lectures in some people's cases). As in the OP's case, if it's a film that I find involving, then bollox to texts until the film's finished, regardless of gender. I echo Jaloux - if it's considered important, then ring the person!
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    If it takes me 3 hours to reply to a text during the daytime, then you have to respect the fact that I'm at work. (or school classes / lectures in some people's cases). As in the OP's case, if it's a film that I find involving, then bollox to texts until the film's finished, regardless of gender. I echo Jaloux - if it's considered important, then ring the person!

I would but then you risk getting brushed off to your face which is even worse than by text!

GB x
  • Options
    And here we highlight the problem with texting.

Just because you've sent it, doesn't mean they've received it. It also doesn't mean that they will, or even should, respond in the timeframe you want.

Be patient or you come across as needy and trust me, that is a bigger issue than whether or not someone has replied to a text you sent. That's the one which will put them off completely.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    And here we highlight the problem with texting.

Just because you've sent it, doesn't mean they've received it. It also doesn't mean that they will, or even should, respond in the timeframe you want.

Be patient or you come across as needy and trust me, that is a bigger issue than whether or not someone has replied to a text you sent. That's the one which will put them off completely.

:yes: I don't always reply straight away and don't expect others to do so. I know that with some people, I tend to text them when they're working and will get a reply as soon as they have time.

When I was in London, I kept losing my signal - but it only told me when I went to my sent box and it came up "<name> failed".
  • Options
    If I like a girl i will txt back pretty much straight away and go out of my way to do so.

If it's a girl i'm not really too bothered about i'll read it then just wait until nothin is happenin or i'm really bored then reply.

If guys like you they reply very fast lol
  • Options
    Pokerstar wrote: »
    If I like a girl i will txt back pretty much straight away and go out of my way to do so.

If it's a girl i'm not really too bothered about i'll read it then just wait until nothin is happenin or i'm really bored then reply.

Utter BS.

I reply to alot of my friends straight away, does that mean I want jump all of my friends?
  • Options

Yea this is shit and probably the worse thing you could ever say on a thread like this to a bunch of already paranoid people
  • Options
    Yea this is shit and probably the worse thing you could ever say on a thread like this to a bunch of already paranoid people

:yes: He's an arse if he is like that, end off, I always reply when I can, regardless of what I am doing unless I am working then it is the earliest possible moment
  • Options
    I guess I'm just the bitch then :p My phone is always on silent, no vibrate and usually nowhere near me. If somebody texts (so rare, woe is me), I'll get back to them in a few hours, when I find my phone and look at it... if it is a weird or unimportant text, I dont' reply at all... what fucker is asking for a brew at midnight on a weekday anyways! :p I may be an alcho, but I still have to make the money to pay for the liquor, and that requires waking up early the next day.
  • Options

I dont want to upset people but i'm going on the assumption you aren't already friends if that makes sense
  • Options
    I dont want to upset people but i'm going on the assumption you aren't already friends if that makes sense

Yea but saying that a guy will only ever text back straight away if he likes you is crap. Like its been said before, some people aren't that attached to their phones, dont see texting as a big deal, or are just busy.