Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Online Returns

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I returned a dress to topshop.com on the 25th august, within the two weeks specfied to make a return. I paid for this dress on my credit card, which I never use apart from to buy things online. I find it easier because then if i like the item, i pay off the credit card, and if i dont, the money gets returned back onto my card and my balance goes back to 0.

anyway. its been over 28 days and I still havent had a refund, so I contacted their customer services to say I hadnt had a refund, and they replied saying they had tried to process a refund on *date* (i think there was meant to be a date in there, but there wasnt it just said date) and that it was refused for unknown reasons. They said inform us if there has been a change of banking details (there hasnt) or contact them and they will send me a cheque for the amount.

In the meantime though, I've hada £15 late payment charge on my credit card which is SO annoying, because if the refund had come through when it was supposed to, I wouldnt have had to pay any charge, do you think theres anyway I could mention this to topshop and complain about it, maybe get something? or will they say its just my own fault for not paying it? the only thing i had to pay for on my card was the dress. it means im now paying £15 for a dress i sent back :(

i rang them today but the guy was really unhelpful and all he could say was that their systems were down today and he'd 'try and ring me back tomorrow'.

any advice?

Comments

• Options
    You may be able t squeeze something out of them for the very very slow refund, but the fact you got charged £15 on your card is kind of irrelevant, as long as you knew when the payment due date was you could/should have avoided it.....
  • Options
    I would squeeze them for the £15 - it was their fault!
  • Options
    i dont check when my payment date is due because i very rarely use it, i knew id sent the dress back and that it would be refunded in time so i didnt check :[

yesss katralla it is their fault! :| i'll see what they say tomorrow.
  • Options
    yesss katralla it is their fault!

Well, it's not really. I mean, the situation is clearly their fault, but your being charged a late fee is your own fault. You should be more aware of when the card billing times are, and whether you were expecting a refund or not doesn't really matter.

Anyway, you *might* be lucky and get something out of top shop, but I doubt it. If you've been a consistently good on-time payer of your card balance in the past you might be able to convince a customer service agent at your card company to let you off the fee. It does happen.
  • Options
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Well, it's not really. I mean, the situation is clearly their fault, but your being charged a late fee is your own fault. You should be more aware of when the card billing times are, and whether you were expecting a refund or not doesn't really matter.

Anyway, you *might* be lucky and get something out of top shop, but I doubt it. If you've been a consistently good on-time payer of your card balance in the past you might be able to convince a customer service agent at your card company to let you off the fee. It does happen.

topshop have said they will pay the late fee as a goodwill gesture as they agreed with me, i just have to send them a copy of my statement to prove it was only the dress i owed the money for. i found out they tried to refund me on the 17th september and it was refused but instead of contacting me, or trying again, they didnt do anything. ah well at least its sorted now, im quite pleased :)
  • Options
    Yay congrats thats good news!!!! I have never returned anything back by post to topshop just take it bck to the store and its an instant return on your card, miss selfridge takes a few days if returned by post but next and river island they both take up 2 28 days for cash to go back on card hope this helps i am a shopaholic lol. x
  • Options
    my name wrote: »

I can't believe you deleted that post, it was a great rant!