Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Plans to cut child benefits

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your undivided loyalty for your God and master is a sight to behold.

I guess that faithful servility would class as real such schemes, created by state-sanctioned accountants, as:

Granny Bond buying grandson James the maximum amount of tax free National Savings investments.

Auntie Avoidance making the maximum contributions to cousin Aladdin's ISA accounts.

Yet the government endorse ISA accounts, they created them?
  • Options
    Anti-Spam wrote: »
    Yet the government endorse ISA accounts, they created them?

Precisely.
  • Options
    So then its allowed by the government then, argument solved.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    So then its allowed by the government then, argument solved.

What argument ?
  • Options
    The one you are about to make about if there are certain "evasion/avoidance" measures allowed, then how can it be wrong to go after people for evading/avoiding tax in other means.
  • Options
    The one you are about to make about if there are certain "evasion/avoidance" measures allowed, then how can it be wrong to go after people for evading/avoiding tax in other means.

By legal definition, all evasion is not allowed and all avoidance is allowed.

You appear to be trying to create a cocktail of the two. (A popular act at the moment)
  • Options
    So what would you do about it?

Now that is a simple enough question, lets see if you can answer one.
  • Options
    So what would you do about it?

Now that is a simple enough question, lets see if you can answer one.

What would I do about what ?
  • Options
    What would I do about what ?

Tax evasion/avoidance.
  • Options
    Tax evasion/avoidance.

Do you play chess ?

It may be a problem as you seem to see grey where black and white are present.

Furthermore where do you get the idea that I would/should do something over which I neither have, nor (most importantly) desire to have, any control ?

Those that do, have the power already. If you think there is a problem why not make a plea to your sovereign ?
  • Options
    People need to start justifying why someone who earns £44k deserves to keep child benefit, not just complain about the situation of others.

I think the issue here is the assumption that because one person is the household earns £44k then they are in some way wealthy. It assumes that both adults work. It's a poor defining line to use.
  • Options
    Tax evasion/avoidance.

Haven't you learned yet?

do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Haven't you learned yet?

do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg

I do wonder (due to a previous encounter) if MoK is a fighter who cannot take a punch. :chin:
  • Options
    punch1.png
  • Options
    Do you play chess ?

Furthermore where do you get the idea that I would/should do something over which I neither have, nor (most importantly) desire to have, any control ?

Those that do, have the power already. If you think there is a problem why not make a plea to your sovereign ?

I_UNDERSTAND_COMPLETELY.jpg
  • Options
    Do you play chess ?

yawning.jpg
  • Options
    My words appear to lack understanding (or excitement).

I will borrow from another.

"No man in this country is under the smallest obligation, moral or other, so to arrange his legal relations to his business or to his property as to enable the Inland Revenue to put the largest possible shovel into his stores. The Inland Revenue is not slow - and quite rightly - to take every advantage which is open to it under the taxing statutes for the purpose of depleting the taxpayer's pocket. And the taxpayer is, in like manner, entitled to be astute to prevent, so far as he honestly can, the depletion of his means by the Revenue".

Comprendez ?
  • Options
    Comment on your quote.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Comment on your quote.

I think it is a well articulated statement, from the gentleman concerned, explaining the black and white that many are currently seeing as grey (for whatever reason they do that).
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Comment on your quote.
    You might have better luck asking a mosquito not to bite you.
  • Options
    ^ See?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    ^ See?

:rolleyes:

What part(s) are you having difficulty with ?
  • Options

That is just one persons comment/statement, an in no way definitively applies to everyone. Its just an opinion.
  • Options

Oh I'm not having difficulty with anything. Just commenting on the fact that I don't recall you making a single post in your entire time here in which you gave a straightforward, short, direct and inequivocal opinion of your own about anything.

An the trend continues with your effort a few posts above.

In fact, as it always seems to be the case, the thread has been derailed, probably irreversally, by yet more of your cryptic, nonsensical, pointless internventions.

If you see nothing wrong with the taxpaper being deprived of up to £70bn a year through complex tax avoidance and evasion tactics, as you seem to imply, by all means do tell us why, instead of posting endless one-line questions, building straw man armies and posting obscure quotes that leave people none the wiser about what what point you're trying to make- if any at all.

So, let me ask YOU a question. Do you see nothing wrong with £70bn a year in taxes being avoided and evaded by all sorts of tricks and dastardly schemes? And if so, why?

Simple answer from your own lips, for once if you please.
  • Options
    That is really baffling, i agree with cutting child benifit for wealthy couples but i think the amount when the cut off rule applies should be based on a joint figure.
  • Options
    That is just one persons comment/statement, an in no way definitively applies to everyone. Its just an opinion.

In my experience that sort of legal opinion carries substantial weight when and where it matters most.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Oh I'm not having difficulty with anything. Just commenting on the fact that I don't recall you making a single post in your entire time here in which you gave a straightforward, short, direct and inequivocal opinion of your own about anything.

An the trend continues with your effort a few posts above.

In fact, as it always seems to be the case, the thread has been derailed, probably irreversally, by yet more of your cryptic, nonsensical, pointless internventions.

If you see nothing wrong with the taxpaper being deprived of up to £70bn a year through complex tax avoidance and evasion tactics, as you seem to imply, by all means do tell us why, instead of posting endless one-line questions, building straw man armies and posting obscure quotes that leave people none the wiser about what what point you're trying to make- if any at all.

So, let me ask YOU a question. Do you see nothing wrong with £70bn a year in taxes being avoided and evaded by all sorts of tricks and dastardly schemes? And if so, why?

Simple answer from your own lips, for once if you please.

Once again your post (and posed question) is dripping in emotion. Dry yourself off before you catch a cold.

If the question is "Do you see nothing wrong with taxes being avoided and evaded ?", I refer you to the quote I provided earlier as I have failed to find loopholes in it thus far.
  • Options
    Well, quelle surprise! :d

I should've known it was too much to ask of you.
  • Options
    In my experience that sort of legal opinion carries substantial weight when and where it matters most.

So who said it, where did it come from, and how does it apply to this situation then?

Otherwise any statement could have come from anywhere and have very little relevance or usefulness to us.
  • Options
    So who said it, where did it come from, and how does it apply to this situation then?

Otherwise any statement could have come from anywhere and have very little relevance or usefulness to us.

It sounds like you are making an appeal to authority.

Does the expressed opinion stand up to scrutiny in, of, and by itself ?