Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Plans to cut child benefits

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well, quelle surprise! :d

I should've known it was too much to ask of you.

In what way have you been let down ?
  • Options
    It sounds like you are making an appeal to authority.

Does the expressed opinion stand up to scrutiny in, of, and by itself ?

That makes no sense what so ever.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    That makes no sense what so ever.

You enquired as to the writer/speaker of the quote in a way to make that of most importance rather than what is actually said/written.
  • Options
    You enquired as to the writer/speaker of the quote in a way to make that of most importance rather than what is actually said/written.

No, I just asked some details about it.

After all the message of world peace is highly important, doesnt mean it will ever happen does it!
  • Options
    Please can we get this thread back on topic, and leave the discussion about who is trying to make the least sense in this thread, to somewhere else.
  • Options
    No, I just asked some details about it.

After all the message of world peace is highly important, doesnt mean it will ever happen does it!

Law Lord, Lord Clyde (presiding over a tax case)
  • Options
    Law Lord, Lord Clyde (presiding over a tax case)

Which you could have put in your post, 18 posts ago in this thread, or one of your many posts afterwards.

Your intent is to just rile people up in here, and I think you enjoy the argument more than the point you are trying to make sometimes.
  • Options
    Which you could have put in your post, 18 posts ago in this thread, or one of your many posts afterwards.

Your intent is to just rile people up in here, and I think you enjoy the argument more than the point you are trying to make sometimes.

I am not arguing, merely exploring ideas.
  • Options
    In what way have you been let down ?

Aladdin didn't ask you for a reference. He wanted a direct answer to a direct question.

To be honest, GoS, I don't believe that you are of any benefit to this site. You do not engage debate or discuss anything without giving the impression that you are hiding behind some pseudo-intellectual, psychological, esoteric code.

I have never seen you display any compassion for other human beings on here. Aladdin may well get overly emotional about things (he is Latin, after all) and while I often do not care for his politics, I do know that he cares for humanity in a way that you could never understand.

This is all some sort of game to you yet this is a place where you COULD change peoples views for the better, if you weren't so deceived by your own sense of superiority and importance. This is predominantly a TEEN site and unless you are prepared to engage in a way that is inclusive to teen sensibilities, may I respectfully suggest that you find another board where you method of communication would be more welcome? There is nothing for you here and to be frank, you have nothing to offer us. :thumb:
  • Options
    Damn, I think I have to quote myself
    MoK wrote: »
    Haven't you learned yet?

do-not-feed-the-trolls.jpg
  • Options
    I'm having an argument with someone on facebook at this. Apparently, even though they have a two income house, they should still get CB because they "everyone's outgoings increase to match the income".

Whilst they may be true, I'm not sure that they should do it at our expense, or more that they should have loads but that we should cut support to those who have nothing.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    I'm having an argument with someone on facebook at this. Apparently, even though they have a two income house, they should still get CB because they "everyone's outgoings increase to match the income".
    You should tell them that the rent/mortgate, which is by far the biggest expense for most people, is going to be the same regardless of how many parents there are, and how many incomes.

Of course two-income families are going to have a distinct advantage.
  • Options
    I think they're argument was that they would have a bigger mortgage. My reponse was that this is a choice issue.

I seriously don't have a problem with the principle in play here and I'm one of those who will miss out. I agree that no-one earning over £44k should get CB, but I would apply that to the household and not just the individual.

To suggest that a single income of £44k is too much but then to say that two incomes of £22k (when that would mean less tax paid and therefore greater net income) isn't enough is, well, just dumb.

Interestingly, this actually sounds like a Labour Policy rather than Tory. That confused me a little ;)
  • Options
    Does anyone know if it's true that there are plans in the pipeline to lower the threshold for paying higher rate tax to subsidise the increase in the tax free allowance?

If so, will this also in turn mean the abolition of Child Benefit for people on a lower income than £44k (my sources say £35k+)?
  • Options
    I haven't heard that and it would be a double whammy as far as I am concerned. In fact, it would make the probability of my redundancy that much more appealing - if they don't get the NHS Redundancy Bill through first (which is alleged to drop my pay off dramatically)...

You have to hand it to the Tories though. Only they could put the "N" into "cuts".
  • Options
    I heard 40K, and that it would affect the child benefit.

But it's OK, because the conservatives are going to war on housing costs. (well, the amount they will pay in housing benefits)
  • Options
    And all this is supposed to encouarge hard work and traditional family values?

The tories are all bloody mad the whole lot of them.

They screw you for going to Uni, they screw you for getting a well paid job, they screw you for any hint of success, they screw you for saving for a pension.

All you ever hear now is the tories blaming Labour for everything, well guess what Camamoron most of this shite is down to the the last bloody tory goverment anyway.

Just as there is a hint of economic recovery they decide to take away money from the high earners aka high spenders, resulting in less spending which means no growth/ no recovery.

Good plan !!
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    To be honest, GoS, I don't believe that you are of any benefit to this site. You do not engage debate or discuss anything without giving the impression that you are hiding behind some pseudo-intellectual, psychological, esoteric code.

:thumb:
    Someone else was banned for the same thing on here a few years ago.
  • Options
    I haven't read the whole thread so I apologise if this has already been mentioned: I think I heard on the radio the other day that the Tories are going to bring in tax breaks for people who are married, breaks which aren't capped or means tested. And that these breaks were likely to eat up a big chunk of the savings garnered by the £44k CB cap. Can anyone confirm?
  • Options
    I heard the same thing, though gay couples weren't getting a tax break.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »

Of course not. We can't have the Gays or single parents getting any funny ideas about equality - t'would be beyond the pale.

Is this the same allowance that was being touted before the election, or at least the same thing manifested in another form?
  • Options
    One thing about access to uni, it did used to be the recluse of the elite a few years ago. If everybody goes, then doesnt it lose the appeal?
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »

Or single people.
  • Options
    Well single people wouldnt, the torys have done it to promote marriage.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Or single people.
    Well that's obvious. They're only doing it for the "traditional marriage", which is the old man and woman. They really do care for gays don't they.
  • Options

Why should I be financially worse off because I'm single? Oh I forgot, I already am - 1 person earning £40k per year = £6475 tax free. 2 people earning a total of £40k - £12950 tax free.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Why should I be financially worse off because I'm single? Oh I forgot, I already am - 1 person earning £40k per year = £6475 tax free. 2 people earning a total of £40k - £12950 tax free.

So why cant I get 9 months leave for when I have a kid?

£12,950 a year tax free for 2 people is still the same per person.

I dont see how you can say financially worse off, they also pay combined, twice as much tax as you do.
  • Options

Single people would fall foul of the tax breaks for married people.
  • Options
    If the treasury decided to instill marriage based incentives by raising the taxes of single people, then I'd see the argument. The actions of the treasury will indeed mean that single people compared to those who are married, will be worse off. What it doesnt do is actually make the single people physically poorer, they will still have the same amount of take home pay and pay the same amount of tax as before. They will not be physically worse off.

Now in comparision to others, yes they will be. However it always is the case of the have's and have nots, just because someone gets something that you dont, doesnt actually mean you are any worse off in personal circumstance, it just means you are worse off in "comparison" to others.

How about we do away with tax breaks and credits all together? Let people fend for themselves, oh wait that will hit the poorest the hardest, so lets give them some money, then the slightly less poor complain that they are "worse off" because they are slightly richer, no they are not, they just dont get something that they never did in the first place.
  • Options
    How about we do away with tax breaks and credits all together? Let people fend for themselves, oh wait that will hit the poorest the hardest, so lets give them some money, then the slightly less poor complain that they are "worse off" because they are slightly richer, no they are not, they just dont get something that they never did in the first place.

I'm not really sure what you're arguing for or about.

Do you see all tax breaks aimed at identifiable groups as synonymous? That because one group benefits while others don't, all group-based breaks are equally helpful and fair?

It's easy to grasp the idea that a tax break aimed at (straight) married couples isn't directly dipping a hand into the pocket of single folk, but that doesn't make it equitable.