Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sky News / LA shooting

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Hmmmm...that must be why all those big AMERICAN corporations are spread out across the world....'cause they're thick. :rolleyes:

Please explain the link between intelligence and the ability to oppress and enslave your fellow man as part of the grubby American capitalist system.

Also, have you noticed how many scandles are rocking your corporations? They sure were intelligent when they forged their accounts and thus guaranteed a massive collapse in confidence at some point in the future.

Depending on how many corporations have been infiltrated by this corruption, we could be about to see the whole lot come crashing down.

Smart move. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

Please explain the link between intelligence and the ability to oppress and enslave your fellow man as part of the grubby American capitalist system.

UK is communist now? No longer capitalist? :rolleyes:
    Stealgate your alter-ego?
  • Options
    "Adam Smith (1723-90) was an important Scottish political philosopher and economist whose famous work Wealth of Nations (1776) set the tone for work on politics and economics for many people even through today. Smith's fundamental argument was individuals should be allowed to pursue their own private economic interests as much as possible and so long as they do not violate basic principles of justice. In this way, Smith thought, they would do much more to further the public good and public interests than if the same people were to try to help the public deliberately and intentionally."

Yeah, that awful American capitilism... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Vox populi, vox Dei,

I suggest that you talk to people employed by these "evil" american companies as opposed to those working in communist factories or for communist government agencies.

I wonder which they would choose if given the choice.
  • Options
    I didn't at any point say that the UK was communist; I didn't even mention communism so I don't know where you got that idea from.

There are however fundamental differences between the American and European capitalist systems, the most noticable being that American companies exist purely to generate money for shareholders; this is their main, and in many cases only, objective. It is this ethos that has led to the accounting scandles of late; the desire to push up share prices has driven some companies to falsify their accounts to appear more profitable than they are.

In recent years, unfortunately, the American system has been gradually leaking into Europe, especially the UK. Hopefully, the recent incidents will dissuade us from adopting it further.
  • Options
    Vox,

I suggest finding and reading the values/mission statement of IBM.

Your comments are not the majority of US corporations, but rather apply to a small but very visible minority.
  • Options
    Ignorant Americans

The funny thing about all this "Americans are egotistical arrogant ignorant twats"

Most of the people I met in Japan, Thailand, ect think that western Europeans, and even more so British are the horses asses of the world.

Most of the world that is warm to western influence think that Americans are far nicer people than British and Europeans.

Just to let you know.

The LAX shooting (so that we might get to the real topic of this thread) was a hate crime by an Egyptian against Israel.
  • Options
    Re: Ignorant Americans
    Originally posted by Thanatos jr
    The funny thing about all this "Americans are egotistical arrogant ignorant twats"

Most of the people I met in Japan, Thailand, ect think that western Europeans, and even more so British are the horses asses of the world.

Most of the world that is warm to western influence think that Americans are far nicer people than British and Europeans.

Just to let you know.

The LAX shooting (so that we might get to the real topic of this thread) was a hate crime by an Egyptian against Israel.

Well that just goes to show that eating fish doesnt make you cleverer, coz us brits are much nicer than our American counterparts!!!
    *Bites tounge*
  • Options
    Re: Ignorant Americans
    Originally posted by Thanatos jr

I wasn't aware it had been classified a hate crime against Israelis - I thought it was still being investigated. You don't happen to have a link to a news story do you?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Ignorant Americans
    Originally posted by Snoop

Well that just goes to show that eating fish doesnt make you cleverer, coz us brits are much nicer than our American counterparts!!!
    *Bites tounge*

"nicer" you could have fooled me. Massively more whimpy, that a givin.:p
  • Options
    Analysis, it's my job. There is no proof of any terror link, and if it was why would they pick the only Airline that has armed guards. It was a hate crime pure and simple
  • Options
    Re: Re: Ignorant Americans

I wasn't aware it had been classified a hate crime against Israelis - I thought it was still being investigated. You don't happen to have a link to a news story do you?

Some things really ARE self-evident...

Would really tax the ability to suspend disbelief to overlook the obvious... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Ignorant Americans
    Originally posted by Thanatos...AGAIN

Some things really ARE self-evident...

Would really tax the ability to suspend disbelief to overlook the obvious... :rolleyes:

As self-evident as it was to those who immediately proclaimed the Oklahoma bombing as an act of Islamic terrorists?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Ignorant Americans

As self-evident as it was to those who immediately proclaimed the Oklahoma bombing as an act of Islamic terrorists?

Hardly comparable... :rolleyes:

I do not believe that an "Islamic" was apprehended at the scene in Oklahoma City... :rolleyes:

Look at who the perpetrator was, and the target...

*remembers that certain individuals must be fed as infants*
  • Options
    Re: You KNOW Im no rocket scientist.
    Originally posted by kathybrn

I heard somewhere that EVERYONE carrys a gun in Israel, and knows how to use it. I have never been there so I dont know for absolutely positively sure firsthand.

Does anyone know if any studys have been done on crime rates, aside from terroism in Israel?

Well as the military is obligatory in Israel (mostly ultra-orthodox and people with sicknesses or handicaps don't sign up), most people will know hot to handle a gun, as every soldier goes through basic training. Some can handle it better than others.

Many people do have guns, but not everyone. No one i know in our closest circle has one for private use, only the military ones.

And about the airline, every airline is clearly divided at the airport in america, as far as I know. If this wasn't an act against jews/israelis, then it was a REALLY big coincidence, when going through all of the factors in the case :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jacqueline the Ripper

Thank you for answering my question about Israel and guns. I do think it would be interesting though to see if the regular street crime rate is lower with all those factors.

Military service being something expected of mostly everyone and guns being in just about everyones hands. But I learned recently that they catagorize just about every crime as terrorism. So it would be a tough one to figure out using their own statistics.

Yes its most likely no coincidence that the shooter attacked the people at that counter. But I will wait till they finish their investigation before drawing conclusions, just for myself.
  • Options
    Re: Re: You KNOW Im no rocket scientist.
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper

And about the airline, every airline is clearly divided at the airport in america, as far as I know. If this wasn't an act against jews/israelis, then it was a REALLY big coincidence, when going through all of the factors in the case :rolleyes:

El Al at Los Angeles airport shares a counter with about 8 or 9 other airlines. While I think its a definate possibility that this was directed at Jews/Israelis, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. The guy is dead now, we probably won't ever know what his intentions were. Maybe he wanted to kill some Jews, maybe he just got fed up with the hassle at the airport, maybe he was just freaking insane.