Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sky News / LA shooting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sky News are a fucking disgrace, has anyone noticed them circling like vultures just waiting for an incident today in america ? You almost get the impression they wanted one :mad:

My thoughts go out to the families involved, if as looks possible it were terrorists then I hope thats all they will manage today, fucking cunts :mad:

Comments

• Options
    Yep....you can just imagine them sitting in their offices just wishing for something to happen...

Ive heard reports that the shooter was a white guy so not sure if it was terrorists..but if it was :mad:

Unfortunately they dont need to do much more than this...Its already closed down that terminal and put fear into tons of American citizens.

Id hate to think what would have happened had such a thing happened here. Thank god the El Al staff were armed and managed to kill the shooter so fast.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog
    Id hate to think what would have happened had such a thing happened here. Thank god the El Al staff were armed and managed to kill the shooter so fast.

Yeah total credit to them for that, when i see the armed police wandering around our airports vacantly it makes you wonder if they remember what they are doing at times, our lot would never of responded so quickly :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Its well scary...im going to america in 2 wks :(

*cries with fear* :eek:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

Well as my mum always says: "El Al is a very likely and possible target for terrorists and so, but still they are the ones who are most prepared if such an incident should ever happen. Which means, that with them I feel much more secure when travelling".

Doesn't sound that great when translated, but if you think about it, it does make a lot of sense.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

Yeah total credit to them for that, when i see the armed police wandering around our airports vacantly it makes you wonder if they remember what they are doing at times, our lot would never of responded so quickly :rolleyes:

Could that statement be more illogical? You think they should walk round shooting people so it looks like they're doing something?

On what evidence do you base the suggestion that British police would not have responded quickly?

Commenting on the incident in general, whilst the US has sensibly reserved judgement on whether or not this was an attack by Islamic militants until the facts are actually known, the Israeli government has immediately issued statements saying that these were terrorist acts by Islamic militants. Perhaps the Israelis had a little of CNN's syndrome themselves; an incident like this is just what they needed to keep the Americans on side.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

On what evidence do you base the suggestion that British police would not have responded quickly?.

Its just common sense surely?

UK airport police are stationed throughout the airport, its extremely unlikely that they would be right at the scene when the gunman started shooting....When the gunman started shooting, the people all start running, screaming and panicking. UK police would have had to fight their way through a stampede of frightened passengers.

The El Al staff were right there at the desk and armed. Obviously they could, and did, response far more quickly than UK and for that matter, US airport police could have done so.

Luckily most people havent gone throwing blame about too much. It looks like the shooter was a white guy disgruntled about losing his job...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Vox populi, vox Dei

Could that statement be more illogical? You think they should walk round shooting people so it looks like they're doing something?

On what evidence do you base the suggestion that British police would not have responded quickly?

Firstly there isn't enough of them, the American's must of responded with great speed to limit the damage to two deaths (not including the gun man), secondly they just don't appear ready to respond at times, its just something about them, obsereve next time you travel. I would however have resonable amount of faith in them, they are all highly trained professional individuals, probably let down by funding.
  • Options
    Have no fear, its not a terroist. We are not all sitting waiting to be be terrorized. Actually most arent.

It appears to just be random violence.

All flights except a few international flights out of LAX are operating normally.:p
  • Options
    The comparison between US and UK airports is unfair. In the US everybody- police, security guards, even bloody shopping mall staff- have guns. This is obviously because every other person in the US have access to a firearm, honest citizens, criminals and nutters alike- and the likelihood of a firearm incident is extremely high. Thankfully in the UK nobody, other than a relatively small number of career criminals, have access to a gun and therefore the likelihood of a firearm incident is very low. For the record, there are armed police patrolling UK airports, and I suspect there is an armed response unit by the El Al desk in Heathrow as well.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    The comparison between US and UK airports is unfair. In the US everybody- police, security guards, even bloody shopping mall staff- have guns. This is obviously because every other person in the US have access to a firearm, honest citizens, criminals and nutters alike- and the likelihood of a firearm incident is extremely high. Thankfully in the UK nobody, other than a relatively small number of career criminals, have access to a gun and therefore the likelihood of a firearm incident is very low. For the record, there are armed police patrolling UK airports, and I suspect there is an armed response unit by the El Al desk in Heathrow as well.

Well La De DA for you.;) :p

For the record, its BECAUSE the El Al Airlines security had guns that the violence was so limited.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kathybrn

For the record, its BECAUSE the El Al Airlines security had guns that the violence was so limited.

Exactly!
  • Options

Clueless, aren't we?

"the liklihood of a firearm incident is extremely high"?

Right. Americans see a firearm incident every other day or so... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Greenhat

Clueless, aren't we?

"the liklihood of a firearm incident is extremely high"?

Just like a cowboy movie...:rolleyes:

I carry my guns on my hips in holsters like Annie Oakley..;)

edit:she smiles sarcasticly...
  • Options

How many innocent civilians have I killed this week, Greenhat? I have lost count... was it fifty, or one hundred fifty? :confused:

LMFAO! :rolleyes:
  • Options

and it was BECAUSE the pissed off man had a gun that the entire incident happened at all :rolleyes:, there is always a counter argument.

But please, do we need to turn this into another gun thread?

And Jackie, I agree, El Al is probably the most security concious airline in the world.
  • Options
    FAO Greenhat, Thanatos et al : In a country where there are, I believe, in excess of 200,000,000 guns being involved in a firearm incident is not that uncommon. Perhaps my use of the word 'extremely' was not accurate, but judging by the news reports I've seen an awful lot of people in the US know someone who has been shot. In deprived zones like the poorer areas of NYC every single schoolchild in a classroom said they knew someone who'd been shot when asked by the news crew. By contrast I haven't met a single person in my life who's been shot/been witness/involved in a firearm incident, and I reckon that'd be the case for most other British posters on this board.

What I was trying to say is that the likelihood of someone pulling a gun in the US is certainly very real, and as such all law enforcement units, security guards etc are armed to deal with such eventuality. By contrast in the UK not even the police walk the streets with firearms on them (other than armed response units and at airports, government buildings etc). A bit of a difference, methinks.
  • Options
    In deprived zones like the poorer areas of NYC every single schoolchild in a classroom said they knew someone who'd been shot when asked by the news crew.

That cannot be... obviously. Guns are illegal there... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    FAO Greenhat, Thanatos et al : In a country where there are, I believe, in excess of 200,000,000 guns being involved in a firearm incident is not that uncommon. Perhaps my use of the word 'extremely' was not accurate, but judging by the news reports I've seen an awful lot of people in the US know someone who has been shot. In deprived zones like the poorer areas of NYC every single schoolchild in a classroom said they knew someone who'd been shot when asked by the news crew. By contrast I haven't met a single person in my life who's been shot/been witness/involved in a firearm incident, and I reckon that'd be the case for most other British posters on this board.

What I was trying to say is that the likelihood of someone pulling a gun in the US is certainly very real, and as such all law enforcement units, security guards etc are armed to deal with such eventuality. By contrast in the UK not even the police walk the streets with firearms on them (other than armed response units and at airports, government buildings etc). A bit of a difference, methinks.
    Sounds rather Utopian.
    All I have to do is move there and I will see no violence?
    You have zero crime rate?
    No victims from crimes?
    No rape?
    No home break ins?
    No muggings on the street?

At least we don`t NEED a firearm to exit a soccer stadium alive.

Your just another human that doesn`t want to be bothered with the truth.(probably a chihuahuah of a man)

I`ve been to the UK, I remember violence.

Sorry, I degress,

Aboot the LAX shooting. Here`s a big hint.

That gunman woulda killed alot more folks if he chose any other airline.
    Here (I live 18 miles from LAX) most of the airlines do not have an armed security presence vailable at the ticket counter. There are security personel scattered aboot, but El Al has their own and I applaud them for it. It would also seem they train their security well as I didn`t catch if any others were hurt from collateral damage. Again, for which I applaud them.
    If every airline did something similar, whacko`s with a mission from any country would have to rethink the approach.
  • Options
    I don't know where you're getting your ideas about carrying guns to football games. I guess you have mistaken the UK with Argentina or Colombia (easy mistake to do, I know :rolleyes: ).

This is already taking a different direction from the original topic. But just for the record, I am not comparing crime rates between the US and the UK. I'm just stating the obvious: guns are much more common in the US than in the UK. As a result nearly all law enforcement in the US is armed. In this case this has played to your advantage- there was an armed security guard handy who shot down the gunman before he could kill more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rick314

Sounds rather Utopian.
    All I have to do is move there and I will see no violence?
    You have zero crime rate?
    No victims from crimes?
    No rape?
    No home break ins?
    No muggings on the street?...

You forget, Rick... sheep are peaceful lil' critters...

It is the non-sheep who are bent upon the violent acquisiton/appropriation of what they desire who are the problem, and there seem to be quite a few of those... ;)
  • Options
    In this case this has played to your advantage- there was an armed security guard handy who shot down the gunman before he could kill more.

As it does in virtually every situation outside of your model where only the criminal element have guns...
  • Options
    Originally posted by rick314

At least we don`t NEED a firearm to exit a soccer stadium alive.

neither do we yet, although something tells me if guns become available that may well become the case.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

neither do we yet, although something tells me if guns become available that may well become the case.

Guns are always available, thats the truth. Makeing them illegal only gives the criminals the edge in the situation. Because then they are the only ones carrying them.

The barn door is wide open the cowsor in this case sheep are long gone its way too late to slam it shut and lock it.:confused:
  • Options

Guns are always available, thats the truth. Makeing them illegal only gives the criminals the edge in the situation. Because then they are the only ones carrying them.

The barn door is wide open the cowsor in this case sheep are long gone its way too late to slam it shut and lock it.:confused:

Kathyrn, people don't casually wander around with guns in the UK, they belong to a very small minority of criminals, yes they are available if you are willing to go to extreme lengths to get one, but that doesn't mean everyone and anyone who wants one has one, it is safe to say at present people do not carry guns to soccer matches.
  • Options
    You people need to learn to recognize sarcasm.
  • Options
    You people need to learn to recognize sarcasm.

Greenhat that would require the use of their brains, their heads would explode.:D
  • Options

Greenhat that would require the use of their brains, their heads would explode.:D

ha ha ha americans are all heart and no brain, its obvious, all you fuckin soldier types, quick to boast at the wondes of a gun, but a brain ? the world believes americans are thick, i agree, but then you are about to throw a load of bullshit at me trying to prove otherwise, face it Americans = standard joke
  • Options
    Ohh we hit a nerve did we?

I think you should go back a re read some of your own posts on this thread. Your resorting to what you accuse us of.

If you are truely committed to your Ideals and they are correct they will stand up to us.

P.S. Im not a soldier, never been in the Military, Im an average American, who doesnt push around easily. Just for the record.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ebb

ha ha ha americans are all heart and no brain, its obvious, all you fuckin soldier types, quick to boast at the wondes of a gun, but a brain ? the world believes americans are thick, i agree, but then you are about to throw a load of bullshit at me trying to prove otherwise, face it Americans = standard joke

Hmmmm...that must be why all those big AMERICAN corporations are spread out across the world....'cause they're thick. :rolleyes:

Stupidity is being illustrated on this board, ebb. Usually by you. I'd suggest you try thinking before you post.
  • Options
    You KNOW Im no rocket scientist.

I just cant figure out how some can mix up the issues so horribly, and think that it is they who are so intellectual?

Let me recap for myself, correct me if Im wrong.

Egyptian man runs amuck and shoots possibly also stabs, people standing at a ticket counter for an Israeli Airline at an American airport. Israeli security man shoots him before he kills more than 2.

===================================
    Interesting....So far these are the only FACTS Ive been able to glean from all the speculation being added to the discussion. Including the speculation being done by the Israeli government on it being a terrorist act.

I learned that all El Al airport security guards everywhere in the world that they operate are armed and ready to use the much contoversial and feared gun.

The only part of this event that can be blamed on "the Americans" is that it took place in America, maybe we should tighten up who we let in. :confused:

I heard somewhere that EVERYONE carrys a gun in Israel, and knows how to use it. I have never been there so I dont know for absolutely positively sure firsthand.

Does anyone know if any studys have been done on crime rates, aside from terroism in Israel?

Example: rapes robberies etc.