Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Why isn't breastfeeding fashionable?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know very little about this, is a bit of both an option, or does it not work like that? I know it didn't for my brother - just wondering if thats a general thing or if he's a freak.

Yes you can quite a lot of people do a bit of both - especially giving a bottle of formula at night as it in theory makes your baby sleep longer - though how long they do sleep is mainly down to genetics.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    How common is this? And does it leave your brests really bad?

Sagging is largely thought to be because of breastfeeding, but studies have shown that actually it's the pregnancy that knackers them. Link.

I'd say if people are that precious about their looks, then pregnancy is going to be a shock all round! It deffo hasn't done anything for my good looks.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I wonder how many people in the UK make it to a year - the WHO says you should breastfeed for the first two years and the world average is four years (so says my friend who is a midwife).

I don't understand that, you're saying that on average people breastfeed until a child is 4? So there are people (quite a lot of them by that suggestion) breastfeeding when their kids are 6/7 ? Well, I can understand folk going for breasfeeding, but continuing to breast feed when a child is 4+ years old and perfectly capable of eating real food for themselves, and going to school, etc. is weird IMO, and would get a social stigma because it's ridiculous.

I did a fair bit of research into various stats and things when we were introducing Niamh to food, and a lot of the WHO advice seems to centre around conditions in 3rd world countries, where poor hygiene around food & bottles can have a big influence on illness. That's not to say that it's invalid, it just has to be taken in a certain context.
  • Options
    because of this thread, i found out my mum had inverted nipples. thanks guys.

but she also added that she was disappointed at how painful it was and how she just couldnt do it. because she feels she missed out.
  • Options

Also bottlefeeding is subsidised for people on benefits. People get free formula milk, whereas breastfeeders get nothing, and you all know how people love a freebie

I thought you got tokens which could be exchanged for milk or formula? Or am I stuck in the past?

Personally, I think it should be called substitute breastmilk, not formula milk.
  • Options
    breastfeeding is getting lots of publicity in NZ at the moment, and my two friends (midwives) are strong advocates. From what they've told me, the skin to skin contact is one of the most important things for a lil one to develop that bond, so breastfeeding is important for that reason also.
    I sat opposite a woman breastfeeding yesterday, she asked if i minded (nope!) and she just had this pad around her breast, no-one would be able to see anything anyway!
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    I thought you got tokens which could be exchanged for milk or formula? Or am I stuck in the past?

Yeah, your stuck in the past.

You do get a milk token if you're on benefits but you exchange it for 10 Benson and a scratchcard :D
  • Options
    When I have babies, I plan to breast feed them... I don't really know a whole lot about baby formula as I've never needed to know, but I wouldn't give my child milk from another animal.

I don't know why it isn't fashionable to breast feed because I don't have children... Apparently it's getting fashionable to have a cesarean too.
    Then add in the other factors like stigma when in public. Consequently I think people just believe it's easier to go with the bottle.
    I think it would be really hard where I live in London. You couldn't sit down anywhere, transport is not safe to even really stand whilst holding a child (especially buses) and cafes can get packed.

Put this in together with the fact that a lot of women cannot afford to stay at home with their babies and it may give an answer.

Maybe bottle feeding is more likely these days because more people live in cities or have more hectic lifestyles.
  • Options
    but bottlefeeding in public, you have to carry round so much crap with you. Enough bottles for the time youre out, some way of keeping them cool, some way of warming them up. With breastfeeding you dont have any extra paraphernalia to lug about, you can just take your baby, a spare nappy and youre good to go. Milk is on tap, sterile and at the right temperature wherever you go. All you need is somewhere to sit, which you need with bottlefeeding anyway
  • Options
    anti-breastfeeding is illogical IMO. There is no other reason why women have breasts. Next it would be said eating food or sleeping aren't fashionable.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    http://www.ivillage.co.uk/parenting/pracad/parfinance/articles/0,,186637_669059,00.html mentions the free milk (or formula for under 1s) and low income.

How common is this? And does it leave your brests really bad?

I think this depends a lot on the woman, and to a degree how well they have been taught how to breastfeed. It is my understanding that breastfeeding doesn't just come naturally to all women - I imagine that may well be a factor for people to choose bottle. My mother for example, had my older brother and I in the late eighties and each of us were only breastfed for a week or so because no-one really taught her how to do it - she ended up cracked and bleeding. It was not a result of her anatomy as ten years on she had my two younger brothers who were both breastfed for a year+.
    I think those that fall at the first hurdle and don't have/ don't know how to ask for help may make up a large proportion of the 'bottle' camp, though it's only speculation.

A word from a childcarers' POV. Children in the nursery that I work at can be and are admitted at four months old. Whether or not a child should be put into full-time child care at this age is a different issue, but for whatever reason when they are it is hardly feasible for mum to come in and breastfeed during the day. Some mothers simply do not have the time to breastfeed their child for six months, they must be happy with the bottle before they come in, or we can't take them. I am hesitant to call this a class issue - it's a private nursery, pretty expensive and predominately middle class.
  • Options
    its not breastfeeding that fucks your breasts up. Its pregnancy and if youre unlucky enough to go up too many sizes. It may seem brilliant at the time but its not so good when they shrink back down again.
    It can happen whether you breastfeed or not.
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    There is no other reason why women have breasts.

That's not true. It's the only reason women have mammary glands, but the breast has been re-purposed by evolution to mimic buttocks, in order to arouse the male, as the upright posture diminishes the effect of the genuine article.

In the majority of other mammals the mammary tissue is not prominent when the animal is not lactating.
  • Options
    That's not true. It's the only reason women have mammary glands, but the breast has been re-purposed by evolution to mimic buttocks, in order to arouse the male, as the upright posture diminishes the effect of the genuine article.

In the majority of other mammals the mammary tissue is not prominent when the animal is not lactating.

Burn :P
    Very interesting though, I never knew they were meant to mimic buttocks.
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    Burn :P
    Very interesting though, I never knew they were meant to mimic buttocks.

me neither. wow
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    I think those that fall at the first hurdle and don't have/ don't know how to ask for help may make up a large proportion of the 'bottle' camp, though it's only speculation.

I think you're right on this point, although I have noticed among a lot of my friends that people often do try to breastfeed, but it doesn't take much to put them off. There's this attitude 'I'll do it if I can', when in reality no one's born knowing how to breastfeed their child, just like babies aren't born knowing exactly how to eat. It's a pretty steep learning curve for both of you and sometimes people aren't prepared to go through it.

I think lack of support is a problem. Like I said before, the support in my area is fantastic. Me and the wee one had all manner of problems - she wouldn't latch on properly and was getting dehydrated and annoyed, I was sore, bleeding and fed up, knackered from emergency surgery and sleepless nights. It would have been very easy to give up at that point if I hadn't really wanted to feed her myself, so without the help I got, I can definitely see that if your heart wasn't really in it, you'd throw in the towel.

I also agree with the point someone made (Wyetry, I think?) that there should be more honesty about the first few weeks of breastfeeding. I think that they play down how hard it can be in order to not put people off, but in reality it can be painful, awkward and difficult at first. I was in tears feeding her at times in the first 3 weeks or so, but because I'd been warned about it in advance by the ladies in my family, but also reassured that it does get easier, I was able to power through, and now it's painless and easy as pie.
    A word from a childcarers' POV. Children in the nursery that I work at can be and are admitted at four months old. Whether or not a child should be put into full-time child care at this age is a different issue, but for whatever reason when they are it is hardly feasible for mum to come in and breastfeed during the day. Some mothers simply do not have the time to breastfeed their child for six months, they must be happy with the bottle before they come in, or we can't take them. I am hesitant to call this a class issue - it's a private nursery, pretty expensive and predominately middle class.

Fair point! I'm currently trying to get tiny to take a bottle of expressed milk so we can leave her with her grandma for a few hours, but expressing is pretty labour intensive, and I can understand people not wanting to do that on top of a full time job. 4 months of breastfeeding is still a good effort though, even if people aren't able to make it 6 months.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Apparently it's getting fashionable to have a cesarean too.

More true in America than here, but yes! That whole 'too posh to push' thing.

Makes me laugh, actually, cause I ended up having a caesarian (not by choice!) and I can't imagine anything less glamorous. They put your first dose of post-op painkillers up your arse :thumb:
  • Options

I want to believe this. Have you got some links? It puts a whole new spin on 'are you a boobs or a bum man?', because either way you're a bum man!
  • Options
    I want to believe this. Have you got some links? It puts a whole new spin on 'are you a boobs or a bum man?', because either way you're a bum man!
    Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTp1UgkcXc

Case closed.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »

magnificent :d
  • Options
    so is expressing hard work then? what about the pumps? ive always been a bit scared of breastfeeding coz my boobs are painful quite often but the older i get the more i would like to think i would do it for my baby. i thought i would use bottles with breast milk in them so dad can get involved but if expressing is painful then i dont know if i could.
  • Options
    i never had a problem with expressing, or with breastfeeding in general. It went like a dream.
    It CAN be hard work for some people, but theres no sense in expecting the worst before it even happens, because for a lot of people its absolutely fine
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I don't understand that, you're saying that on average people breastfeed until a child is 4? So there are people (quite a lot of them by that suggestion) breastfeeding when their kids are 6/7 ? Well, I can understand folk going for breasfeeding, but continuing to breast feed when a child is 4+ years old and perfectly capable of eating real food for themselves, and going to school, etc. is weird IMO, and would get a social stigma because it's ridiculous.

Yeah i kind of think its a bit wierd as well as i've been to loads of developing countries and i've not seen many 7 year olds hopping on and off the boob - but i guess if at all its probably only at bed time and there is less social stigma because everyone does it so its not weird.

I heard a thing on radio 4 a couple of months ago about men breastfeeding - apparently its possible but very very rare
  • Options
    Namaste - I think that its probably much easier to breastfeed in london than it is elsewhere in the country - particually in the area where i live (posh middle classish) its unusual to find someone who is bottle feeding - i can only think of 3 or 4 mums I know who have and all but one had had a cesarian and found the double pain too much.

Plus because there are loads of people from other countries where there is no stigma attached to breastfeeding everyone seems to be a bit more accepting of it.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »

Fair point! I'm currently trying to get tiny to take a bottle of expressed milk so we can leave her with her grandma for a few hours, but expressing is pretty labour intensive, and I can understand people not wanting to do that on top of a full time job. 4 months of breastfeeding is still a good effort though, even if people aren't able to make it 6 months.

I had cracked nipples for 3 months and i didn't' give up even when the breastfeeding councilor told me i had to feed her formula but i was very very bloody minded about wanting to breastfeed and went and found a better breastfeeding councilor who could actually help me, but not everyone has this option. But also i couldnt' get her to take a bottle at all - so it wouldn't have worked anyway.

But my neighbour went back to work at 4 months and carried on breastfeeding and just expressed 3 times a day whilst at work - your employer is legally obliged to make it possible for you to do this and should make avaliable a room with a locked door for you to express which is not a toilet and access to a fridge to store your milk in (more info here). Though TBH i think it takes some supreme dedication to manage it correctly and i'm very lucky that i didn't have to go back to work until she is one.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm pretty sure that's only a theory, and not even the one with more evidence for it.
  • Options
    Zoologists are pretty united that breasts have a purpose, and are pretty convinced it is about sexual attraction. So, that breasts have a function other than breast feeding is about as accepted as the theory of gravity.

The buttock substitute is one of the theories for the mechanism of that attraction, proposed by Desmond Morris, but many people feel that Orangutans not having breasts disproves it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The buttock substitute is one of the theories for the mechanism of that attraction, proposed by Desmond Morris, but many people feel that Orangutans not having breasts disproves it.
    That's what I was objecting to actually.
  • Options
    How do we know that bums are not meant to mimic breasts. Men idolising boobies, as after all they did latch on them as young kids.
  • Options
    what came first.. booby or bum?