Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Carbs!! HELP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
heya ok so im really panicing right now... how many cals and aspecally CARBS are we meant to have a day plzzzzzzz help me im panicing and hearts racing!!

thanks xxxx

Comments

• Options
    Depending on how much exercise you take, how big you are (not how big you think you are) and a number of other factors, you should consume around 2000 calories a day. You should eat at least 120 grams of carbohydrates a day, and should mainly be based on potatoes, pasta and so on, but should also include sugary carbohydrates from fruit and sweet foods etc.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    thanks huni, so what about cereal does that count? is that good or bad? xxx
  • Options
    Depends what sort of cereal. Something like Weetabix is starchy carbohydrate, whereas something like Sugar Puffs is mainly sugary carbohydrate, and lots of people consider the calories in sugary foods as 'empty' ie. they don't really fill you up so you just want more. As a general rule, unsweetened cereal or sweetened only by fruit is 'good.'

Edit: That's not to say sugar's bad. You do need sugar.
  • Options
    i eat weatabix minis and alpen ???
    r they bad? xx
  • Options
    i eat weatabix minis and alpen ???
    r they bad? xx

Nope. Both are relatively low in sugar, but are filling etc as well.

Edit: Nothing's 'bad', as such. Just eat a bit less of it if it's high in fat/sugar.
  • Options
    hummmm.. maybe i shud replace it with just a bowl of veg or salad from now on ? xx
  • Options
    hummmm.. maybe i shud replace it with just a bowl of veg or salad from now on ? xx

No, you shouldn't. You need a nutritious and relatively high calorie breakfast to start the day, which salad just won't do. If it's the calories bothering you, have your cereal with skimmed milk, or maybe juice (I don't like it, other people do) If you don't have a proper breakfast, you'll be more likely to snack during the day =more calories.
  • Options
    Ohhh noooo i dont have it for breakfast thats my lunch and dinner xx
  • Options

You eat cereal for your lunch and dinner? Then what do you eat for breakfast?
  • Options
    I dont eat breakfast
  • Options
    I dont eat breakfast
    Tbh, I would really recommend breakfast. It sets you up for the day.
  • Options
    thanks huni but i cant it causes me to binge :(
    I'm a failure!!! xxx
  • Options
    If you can really only cope with two meals a day, you could try eating breakfast and another meal somewhere between where lunch and dinner would be?
    So, breakfast at 8 or whatever, and then another meal at say 4.
  • Options
    thanks huni but i cant it causes me to binge :(
    I'm a failure!!! xxx

This may not be what you want to hear, but have you ever considered that you might have an eating disorder? A completely carb-based diet could be storing up some serious health issues such as diabetes. In any event, since carbs are the most easily digested of all the main food groups, eating a carb-rich diet in the evening almost certainly means that you will be storing unused energy as fat.

All bodies need a balanced diet: protein in order to repair themselves and grow, fruit and veg for essential vitamins and fibre - without which you risk damaging your immune and digestive systems. Essential oils also benefit your hair and skin. I, for one, would be interested to know how you came upon this "all cereal" diet. There are plenty of healthy alternatives that would allow you to eat a more varied diet without gaining weight.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi there,
    I think this one's more for health and wellbeing than straight food... going to move it now. :)
  • Options
    Hey thanks for comments, i only felt safe eating cereal but now i know its fattening and full of carbs so cutting down on it, still lost weight on it but im starting to eat just salads now i might even just eat soup and salad from now on :)
    ill start when cereals all gone, having blood tests on tuesday but they always come back normal so im not damaging myself ;)

xxx
  • Options
    having blood tests on tuesday but they always come back normal so im not damaging myself ;)

not yet, maybe.

but the long-term damage could be heartbreaking.
  • Options
    The other thing to say is that eating so many carbs messes with your insulin levels. You may not be diabetic, but see-sawing insulin can be a factor in mood swings and depression.
  • Options
    If you are switching to salads, make sure it's lots of colours, and have something like prawns or steamed chicken with it - possibly tuna.
  • Options
    from now on its no cereal, its either soup which is veg, all salad (salmon) and just veg on its own xx
  • Options
    i dont understand why my other thread got closed like it doesnt matter help :(
    im confussed xx
  • Options
    its been closed because we aren't here to make your eating disorder worse and encourage you to harm your body the way you are doing.

also, other people on here with eating disorders may find your threads triggering. i know i do. i suffer from some sort of eating problem and i'm currently trying to get better but reading your threads makes me feel awful and guilty for anything i put in my mouth.

people aren't getting at you (i've made the same mistake in the past and have had people having a go), they just don't want to contribute to making you more ill.
  • Options
    its been closed because we aren't here to make your eating disorder worse and encourage you to harm your body the way you are doing.

also, other people on here with eating disorders may find your threads triggering. i know i do. i suffer from some sort of eating problem and i'm currently trying to get better but reading your threads makes me awful and guilty for anything i put in my mouth.

people aren't getting at you (i've made the same mistake in the past), they just don't want to contribute to making you more ill.

that's a very good post. totally agree. we will still be here to help, so never think that we don't care.. but we do, honestly.
  • Options

Hey,
    I know what it's like to have a ED I only have one meal a day and a tiny healthy bar inbetween I go for green salad take all the other colour out I don't know why though.

I was just wondering the way your eating now and me eating approametly the same ammount is it dangerouse?
  • Options
    I feel like people are having ago, i dont understand one bit ,
    if it triggers you why go on my thread? aspec after i put trigger and ed ? i dont understand.. makes me feel and look the bad person when i only want support, hurts when u say your not guna make me iller.... i didnt ask for TIPS i asked whats filling thats all now i feel like a bad person :(
  • Options
    Sorry *hug* was it my fault?

And to me you seem like a pretty awesome person x
  • Options
    I feel like people are having ago, i dont understand one bit ,
    if it triggers you why go on my thread? aspec after i put trigger and ed ? i dont understand.. makes me feel and look the bad person when i only want support, hurts when u say your not guna make me iller.... i didnt ask for TIPS i asked whats filling thats all now i feel like a bad person :(
  • Options
    Nooooo hunie defo not u've been there for me thank you :)
  • Options
    Yay thanks, and by the way I love your site and thanks for all the advice you had given me I was on it this morning x
  • Options
    Your more than welcome darling, i want to help you in every way i can, sorry im sometimes slow at replying always freezing lol!
    if i forget email me and ill come on :) hugs xx

:)