Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Religious schools

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Religious schools may have to offer at least 25% of their classroom places to "non-believing children."

How is this going to work? Are non-Muslim parents really going to send their kids to a Muslim school? (Where the school uniform normally includes a headscarf that all pupils must wear). Are Catholic parents going to send their kids to a Jewish school? :confused: And why would 'non-believing' parents want to send their kids to a religious school? - Other than the fact that they are perceived as better? It's surely unacceptable meanwhile to spoon-feed kids religious dogma just because they might get better grades...

In France if you want your kids to get a Catholic education for example you send them to a private school affiliated to the Catholic Church. I'm not sure why we can't do the same. In Britain we have the situation where everybody's taxes can end up funding divisive religious schools sometimes promoting backward ideas...

France and the US grasped the concept of a separation between religion and State many, many years ago. Why can't Britain?

Comments

• Options
    Because we have the same figurehead as head of state and head of the church of england
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Because we have the same figurehead as head of state and head of the church of england

That doesn't mean separate schools for particular religious denominations should get state funding.
  • Options
    Pretty much all schools here are faith based one's. Don't see that changing anytime soon with the mindset of the people and all that.
  • Options
    dis

I don't think religous schools should get state funding either. However I was answering your question about the separation of church and state in Britain.
  • Options
    Are non-Muslim parents really going to send their kids to a Muslim school? (Where the school uniform normally includes a headscarf that all pupils must wear). Are Catholic parents going to send their kids to a Jewish school? :confused:

Erm... why not?
    And why would 'non-believing' parents want to send their kids to a religious school? - Other than the fact that they are perceived as better?

Do they need another reason then?
    France and the US grasped the concept of a separation between religion and State many, many years ago. Why can't Britain?

Because of a little thing called the "Church of England".
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I don't think religous schools should get state funding either. However I was answering your question about the separation of church and state in Britain.

Oh, oops, sorry. I'm tired...

I think Charles has hinted about reform of it.

Tbh though given the pretty secular nature of many C of E schools and that they are generally as diverse as any non-religious state school they don't concern me that greatly.

Evangelical Christian schools are a bigger concern and Muslim/Jewish/Hindu schools are a lot more 'religious' than a typical C of E school and much less diverse.
  • Options
    Erm... why not?

They won't.
    Do they need another reason then?

How about making non-religious state schools better rather than subsidising religious superstition?
    Because of a little thing called the "Church of England".

Its disestablishment is overdue.
  • Options
    We should get rid of the royals completely
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

We'll let inbreeding do that for us.
  • Options
    They won't.

They do.
    How about making non-religious state schools better rather than subsidising religious superstition?

Subsidising?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

And replace them with what?

Support for the monarchy is still pretty solid. I can't really see any benefit to abolishing it. The Queen is a good ambassador for Britain and makes a good symbolic Head of State. I can't really see any benefit to having an elected Head of State doing what the Queen presently does.

Anyway ending funding for various religious agendas does not mean we should 'get rid of the royals.'
  • Options
    They do.

Few Christians (Jewish, Hindu or atheist parents) would feel comfortable about sending their kids to a Muslim school...
    Subsidising?

The State is funding religious schools...
  • Options
    Few Christians (Jewish, Hindu or atheist parents) would feel comfortable about sending their kids to a Muslim school...

Yes, but why?

Considering that Muslims have sent their children to other relious school for decades...
    The State is funding religious schools...

Isn't it more the other way around?
  • Options
    And replace them with what?

They don't need replacing with anything.
    Support for the monarchy is still pretty solid.

You reckon?
    I can't really see any benefit to abolishing it. The Queen is a good ambassador for Britain and makes a good symbolic Head of State. I can't really see any benefit to having an elected Head of State doing what the Queen presently does.

:D
    Anyway ending funding for various religious agendas does not mean we should 'get rid of the royals.'

It does as they mean that church and state are not seperate.
  • Options
    You could easily decide that the Queen shouldn't be head of the Church of England and Church of Scotland without abolishing the monarchy,but that's going way off topic.

So to get back on it, there's no way I send my children to a Muslim school (or Catholic or Anglican come to that). If anyone's going to indoctrinate them its going to me and the wife.

If others want to send them that's fine by me, same as I don't mind other sending their kids to private school. And if that religous school wants to teach the kids about one faith - that's fine by me as well, as long as parents aren't forced into sending their kids their.
  • Options
    The apparent proliferation of faith schools and the endless attempts by religious groups to get a foothold on the British education system (such as science lessons) is one of the most disturbing and grave developments affecting this country at present.