Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How much do you drink a day?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lea_uk wrote: »
    They contain water :p, I usually have a glass with my tea.

Tea and coffee do actually count :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    lipsy wrote: »
    Tea and coffee do actually count :)
    They do, but I'm pretty sure you're supposed to drink "just" water as well. Can't remember why, it could be simply that the amount contained in other stuff is significantly less than in a glass of "just" water.

In any case, for some reason it seems absurd to me that someone could only drink things that contain water and not water on its own. :eek:
  • Options
    Well, tea and coffee are just water infused with other stuff, same as squash.
  • Options
    I think it's because the caffeine dehydrates you..or something.
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure unless you drink a pretty vast amount of caffine it does more to hydrate you than dehydrate you.
  • Options
    I do like water on its own, I just tend to drink it in tea and coffee.
  • Options
    I never drank water until one year I got pneumonia and dehydrated and ended up in the hospital... ever since then I love water... drink nothing but. Juice when I'm hungover but otherwise water 24/7 (since we aren't including alcohol in this poll) Rarely juice, no milk, the only time I have pop is if captian coke is the special for the night. I have a 20oz mug at work and I'm always filling it up... and always dumping out the old so couldn't even guess how much water in a day... plus the 2 mugs of coffee... cut down a lot on that!
  • Options
    It used to be maybe 2 cups of tea a day and a few glasses of squash. Now maybe because of the heat it's mostly water. Now the tap is finally fixed at home in our kitchen I have no excuse and I'm starting to appreciate how refreshing it is. I'm sure I heard that healthy pee is supposed to be completely clear too. Again I dont have a source but apparently that means you are drinking enough throughout the day. :chin:
  • Options
    I drink mostly water, but I have a smoothie in the morning and up to two coffees a day (or a red bull... I know it's full of chemicals)...

Water... I'd say I usually drink between 2-4 litres a day, depending on how much I am exercising and the weather.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    I think it's because the caffeine dehydrates you..or something.

It's a diuetric

i.e. increasing the amount you urinate.
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure unless you drink a pretty vast amount of caffine it does more to hydrate you than dehydrate you.

well there was a big poster up in my gym advertising some seminars and it said on it that it took 36glasses of water to neutralise the effects of one can of coke. i was under the impression that tea and coffee did more dehydrating than the water contained in the product.

Anyway, i quite often forget to drink then get to the end of the day and think "i haven't drunk today" so try to have some then. If i'm trying to be health conscious then i will do my best to have at least 1.5litres of water or squash per day.

I remember watching doctor Hilary on GMTV and he was talking about the importance of drinking enough fluid and i was amazed at the things he was saying that lack of fluid consumption effects. i knew it can make it hard to go number two and digest food as well as flushing toxins out kidneys etc, but i didnt realise til i saw him talking that it puts extra strain on your heart etc if you are dehydrated.

Aparently as well if you wait til you are thirsty you are already very dehydrated - i still struggle to remember to drink sometimes though.
  • Options
    I'm sure I heard that healthy pee is supposed to be completely clear too. Again I dont have a source but apparently that means you are drinking enough throughout the day. :chin:

:yes: Well, I've read that if your pee is dark it means you're not drinking enough water which I guess is the same!!
  • Options
    Not sure if this is medical fact but I remember being told by a nutritionist that a thirst is healthy but I guess an excessive thirst is also cause for concern :chin:
  • Options

:yes:

I know a couple of people who only ever drink caffeinated drinks and they're not dead yet! Obv it's not great for your body, but the idea that you need to drink an extra glass of water for every cup of coffee is a fallacy. I remember watching something once where they got twins, told one to drink her 8 glasses a day, and one to just drink when she felt thirsty, and tested them both before and then a few months later, and there was no difference at all between them afterwards. Your body is clever - it knows what it needs and will tell you. As long as you're not ignoring it when it does, you're good :thumb:

Answering the question, I used to drink nowhere near enough - maybe a couple of glasses of squash a day and occasionally a can of coke with lunch. But now I'm breastfeeding, so thirst is kicking my ass. I'm up to about 4 or 5 pints a day now, as long as I can find the time! Rarely drink just water, though. Mostly fruit juice or squash.
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    :yes:

I know a couple of people who only ever drink caffeinated drinks and they're not dead yet! Obv it's not great for your body, but the idea that you need to drink an extra glass of water for every cup of coffee is a fallacy. I remember watching something once where they got twins, told one to drink her 8 glasses a day, and one to just drink when she felt thirsty, and tested them both before and then a few months later, and there was no difference at all between them afterwards. Your body is clever - it knows what it needs and will tell you. As long as you're not ignoring it when it does, you're good :thumb:

YES- this was that Richard Hammond series!

Linkie:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/shouldiworryabout/water.shtml