Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can this affect my chances?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't have a clue where to put this, but it's kinda health related?
Anyhoo, when I'm on my laptop sometimes I'm lying down and it's resting on my stomach and my mums really 'worried' that it's not good for me and that it'll affect my chances of having kids or they'll have birth defects!?
Can having my laptop on my stomach do that?
I said that it's fine and won't harm me or whatever, but now I'm thinking about it.. I'm 15 atm so I'm not even thinking about it.. but in the future I do want children will I have ruined my chances?

Comments

• Options
    I have never heard of that being an issue with women, i believe there is some concern over it affecting men and sperm production but even there i don't think there is any real evidence
  • Options
    Heat affects sperm production so I can see how a laptop over your testicles could cause short term disturbances to sperm production. Don't know about anything else though. My mum always used to tell me that itting too close to the tv would give me square eyes, and mine are still rugy ball shaped...
  • Options
    The heat issue is why guys are not meant to wear tight underwear as well but i'm not sure if its a permenant thing or just untill it all cools down again but are'nt testicles supposed to regulate the heat ?
    Maybe the op concerns are about wifi etc a bit like the concerns over mobiles frying your brains
  • Options
    My mother got really worried when she found out that the wifi box was in somebody's bedroom, because of some research she'd heard of. It might be that that she's worried about?
  • Options
    Something about the radiation and stuff...
    somewhere said i have more chance getting my fertility affected my watching t.v or standing by the microwave..
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Fertility issues aside, a laptop is supposed to be on a hard flat surface for its own sake. Your stomach doesn't (hopefully) fit the bill.
  • Options
    Fertility issues aside, a laptop is supposed to be on a hard flat surface for its own sake. Your stomach doesn't (hopefully) fit the bill.

Why is it called a laptop then?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    grace wrote: »
    Why is it called a laptop then?
    Beats me. The fact remains that no opening on its bottom part should be blocked.
  • Options
    Just to be clear, you will not get cancer or any other random disease from mobile phones, microwaves or wifi routers. Anyone who says otherwise is deluded.*

*as far as good research has shown ;)
  • Options
    Old thread, I know ...

Bleepy, I doubt very much that lying with a laptop on your stomach will affect your fertility. However, it will certainly affect your back and neck. Although, at 15, you will have quite supple joints and muscles so probably wont notice any strain now, you could still be storing up all sorts of random health problems as you get older. I've never had kids, but I can imagine carrying a baby with a bad back would be no fun at all.
  • Options
    bleepy wrote: »
    Something about the radiation and stuff...
    somewhere said i have more chance getting my fertility affected my watching t.v or standing by the microwave..

I wouldn't worry about it.

The year before I conceived I had 3 chest CT scans and an angiogram. Each CT is equivalent to about 3 years background radiation, and the angiogram was equivalent to about 7 years, so quite hefty doses of direct radiation. I had no troubles getting pregnant, and my baby is totally fine. I asked my doctor if that kind of radiation would affect fertility, and she said it was highly unlikely, so something as safe as a laptop will be no issue at all - just scare stories!

I'm with Indrid - the biggest risk you're facing here is that your laptop will overheat and break :p