Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

London north & south of the Thames

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The northern half of London seems to have so much. Most of the tube network, the West End, 2012 Olympics in NE, Parliament on the north bank , home of the Queen is there and even London zoo

I've lived in inner South London for 16 years and what have we got? Crystal Palace Park with the dinosaurs plus IMAX ciema in Waterloo. Still I know Southern London best and like where I live

Comments

• Options
    People in the north pay more rent for the better facilities. North all the way for me though :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    People in the north pay more rent for the better facilities. North all the way for me though :thumb:

Expensive areas in the south too- you're obviously a dweller in North London and avoid the Southerners
  • Options
    The North/South half of the Thames reminds me of that Doctor Who episode Turn Left.
  • Options
    North London :heart:
  • Options
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    The northern half of London seems to have so much. Most of the tube network.
    But south London has far more miles of mainline train lines served by ample local stations.

It also has the Millenium Dome, the gigantic Richmond Park, Wimbledon Common, Oxleas Wood and the second biggest shopping and nightlife area in the southeast outside of the West End - Croydon.
  • Options
    West London baby! Born and raised in Ealing Broadway.... end of da line! lol
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    North London :heart:
    Look north, sail north and northbound on Jubillee line
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    West London baby! Born and raised in Ealing Broadway.... end of da line! lol

there's that bit of SW London south of the Thames too, even though most of the 'west' postcode is north of the river
    Goldsword wrote: »
    But south London has far more miles of mainline train lines served by ample local stations
    Still, most big stations like Kings cross and Paddington are north of river- even Charing Cross, just about!
    Goldsword wrote: »
    It also has the Millenium Dome, the gigantic Richmond Park, Wimbledon Common, Oxleas Wood and the second biggest shopping and nightlife area in the southeast outside of the West End - Croydon.
    yeah you're right- maybe it isn't that bad down here :)
  • Options
    SW London, thought the bit that's actually north of the river.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I don't like it south of the river... It smells funny.
  • Options
    Anytime someone uses Croydon to reinforce a positive, you know that the argument is lost ;)
  • Options
    ^^

Thats what i was thinking

Even though south london is the best :heart: there are loads more lovely places compared to croydon.
  • Options
    SW is best. As mentioned, north of the river, ofc.
  • Options
    West London is my birthplace, but i also really like the area of Hackney/Bow around victoria park, they've got a great bagel shop and weird 'organic' pubs :p

Also lived in Elephant- ughhhhh never again.

My friend lived in Shadwell, i liked it there as well, 20mins to Bank and a bus ride away from oxford st etc, oooh and i love the DLR haha
  • Options

My friend lived in Shadwell, i liked it there as well, 20mins to Bank and a bus ride away from oxford st etc, oooh and i love the DLR haha

The DLR network spread its tentacles south of the river only later- again the hub is north of the thames
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    The soil south of the river isn't as good for tunnel building as it's northern counterpart, hence the lack of tube lines.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Anytime someone uses Croydon to reinforce a positive, you know that the argument is lost ;)

:mad:

I was born there and lived in Croydon for a few years.
  • Options
    :mad:

I was born there and lived in Croydon for a few years.

Doesn't make it a nice place, you were just a golden nugget in a pile of shit.
  • Options
    and i love the DLR haha

I also love the DLR on the rare occasions I actually use it (normally to and from City airport). Being driverless, it means that you can sit at the very front and pretend you're driving the train.
  • Options
    I live in North London and have done since I moved to London 7 years ago.

I do frequent a pub in Vauxhall though, South of the River.
  • Options
    I also love the DLR on the rare occasions I actually use it (normally to and from City airport). Being driverless, it means that you can sit at the very front and pretend you're driving the train.

Yes I love the DLR for that exact reason plus as it goes up and down its a bit like being on a really slow roller coaster!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Yes I love the DLR for that exact reason plus as it goes up and down its a bit like being on a really slow roller coaster!
    I do not love the DLR, as I once drunkenly got on it when I was supposed to be going to Elephant and Castle (don't ask). I ended up in West Silvertown in the wee hours, and had to get a cab back to Highbury :(
  • Options

Exactly!!! :heart: i remember my first experience when i was 11, i thought it was so amazing it had no driver, we went to canary wharf to this really empty shopping centre.

I still think it's cool :D
  • Options
    Brixton
    Carnaval del Pueblo
    Synergy Centre used to be in Camberwell
    Borough Market
    Some cool places around Vauxhall and London Bridge
    Tate Modern
    British Film Institute at South Bank
    Greenwich park
    Richmond Park
    Battersea power station
    Tooting Bec lido

I've lived in South London almost five years (four in Kingston, one in Tooting). I have to say I prefer Tooting to Kingston, love hanging out in Brixton and have a mate who lives near Peckham (which, despite its reputation is a friendly area).

I haven't lived up north, but used to go out in Camden. I have mates in various parts of North London, but when I go to their areas they feel a bit souless (apart from Hackney). However, I haven't lived north of the river, so can't say for sure how good it is.

I quite like South London, but not the posh bits... I hated working in Richmond. The gritty bits in Lambeth and Southwark, or lazy days on Tooting Bec common. It's friendly and quite an interesting place to be. Having less transport and maybe less attractions (depending on what you like) doesn't bother me so much. I don't think the London lifestyle caters for that much free time, so I enjoy what I can get.
  • Options
    This thread makes me realised that I've ventured south of the river maybe four or five times in my life. I've lived in North London for 22 years.

I have no idea if it's good or not.
  • Options
    TintedLens wrote: »

I have no idea if it's good or not.

Its not. :thumb:
  • Options
    it's weird, being from Ealing, i've always considered Richmond and Kingston as 'West London' :/

oooh, i have lived 'south' of the river, when i lived in Staines, i lived next to the river in a lil cottage, on the south side! lol
  • Options
    it's weird, being from Ealing, i've always considered Richmond and Kingston as 'West London' :/

oooh, i have lived 'south' of the river, when i lived in Staines, i lived next to the river in a lil cottage, on the south side! lol
    and theres SW London north of the Thames- Hampton court
  • Options
    I was born and lived in Hackney. (1987 till about 1994). It was rough! We lived on an estate and part of the reason we moved was because of the violence. It was weird though because there was such a community spirit on that estate bar a few dodgy families. My parents always had people over in the evenings and all the kids played together. A really good mixture of people too, there was a bbq once and I remember a Jamaican woman bringing over jerk chicken :yum: my first taste of it. It might sound namby pamby but it really was multi-cultural there and I had a pretty good childhood. But we left because the estate was getting rougher and rougher, after we left there was a shooting.

I've been back to the area where I lived once (Stamford Hill). Apparently Hackney is all arty farty now. I didnt realise there were so many Jewish people there. I dont remember seeing Orthodox Jews when I was little, haha.
  • Options
    I was born and lived in Hackney. (1987 till about 1994). It was rough! We lived on an estate and part of the reason we moved was because of the violence.

heh did you live on the Homerton estate?