Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

So Long Privacy: Apple Bans Apps, Music for Customers Who Opt Out of Tracking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wow.. I never thought Apple could sink so low.
Big Brother Apple is watching you.

"Oh, cant you see; You belong to me... Every move you make... Ill be watching you."

Apple recently has come under fire for engaging in a campaign of moralistic censorship when it comes to the applications it allows on its mobile devices. That campaign is perhaps made more ironic by Apple's iconic 1984 commercial, in which it depicted itself as the face of freedom, taking down Big Brother. Now with a new announcement that it will be watching its device owners' every move, it seems unlikely that the accusation that it has become Big Brother will go away anytime soon.

The news that Apple would be collecting the "precise" "real-time geographic location" of its users' iPhones, iPads and computers was announced this week via the rollout of the company's new privacy policy.

Customers have the "option" to opt in, but Apple is reportedly punishing those who decline to accept the checkbox sort of privacy agreement. According to the LA Times, "Until they agree, they cannot download anything through the [iTunes] store."

That means no apps, music, or iBooks (from Apple) for those who opt out.

The company says there's no harm in letting it follow your every move. It says it will largely use the information for internal purpose such as MobileMe, the "Find My iPhone" app, and targeted advertising. It will also share the info with third-party app-makers who are looking to create location aware apps like social networking services or tweets.

The full agreement reads:
To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.

Some location-based services offered by Apple, such as the MobileMe “Find My iPhone” feature, require your personal information for the feature to work.

Customers do have the option to prevent third-party apps from collecting location data, which can be found under the "Location Services" page under Settings-->General on the iPad/iPhone. Still, this does not prevent Apple from collecting and using information internally for its own purposes, including advertising. Given Apple's language it is likely that the company does intend to collect and use this data, even when users disallow apps to access it.

Apple has not revealed how often it will poll its various devices for locations or how long it will store its logs of customers' movements.

By contrast Google's Android handsets do collect some of this information as well, but Google is more clear about exactly when you may be revealing your location. It writes:
If you use location-enabled products and services, such as Google Maps for mobile, you may be sending us location information. This information may reveal your actual location, such as GPS data, or it may not, such as when you submit a partial address to look at a map of the area.
For now, Apple users must face the music and decide whether they want to keep using their products and let Apple track them. As the classic Police song "I'll Be Watching You" goes, "Oh, cant you see; You belong to me... Every move you make... Ill be watching you."

source Daily Tech

Now I do not use apple products but I believe forcing them to opt into this agreement is a tad harsh, and banning apps is a bit harsh if you do opt out.

Comments

• Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Wow.. I never thought Apple could sink so low.

source Daily Tech

Now I do not use apple products but I believe forcing them to opt into this agreement is a tad harsh, and banning apps is a bit harsh if you do opt out.

:crazyeyes
  • Options
    See this is why I don't buy anything from Apple. Their entire philosophy is about dictating their customers' needs rather than meeting them, and the level of control they insist on having over their products is worrying. But put it all in a shiny package, and people will lap it up, I guess. Having said all that, I don't know enough to know whether this is the sort of thing that is in lots of companies T&Cs, or whether it's genuinely cause for concern.
  • Options
    So glad that the only apple product I have is a 5th generation nano.

Oh this has so put me off getting a new iphone.
  • Options
    I don't have those products but also don't think I'd care if Appl had that informaion about me either.
  • Options
    I would :) For good reason as well.

Even if not, its the moral point.
  • Options
    It's cheaper to throw a rock through a police station window and get tagged.
  • Options
    The company says there's no harm in letting it follow your every move. It says it will largely use the information for internal purpose such as MobileMe, the "Find My iPhone" app, and targeted advertising. It will also share the info with third-party app-makers who are looking to create location aware apps like social networking services or tweets.

Right, and this was EXACTLY how it was beforehand, so why change the Privacy Agreements and tell people "Accept or fuck off"? Honestly, I liked the new iPhone, I like my Touch, but I won't be buying a new one when this breaks. This has put me off getting a new iPhone (next year, not this years, the shit that has already surfaced about the iPhone reception problems, and Steve's advice is "don't hold it that way").

It's about time Apple were being investigated and charged for more than just false advertisement.

/e: Talking about Google in the post, Andriod has the ability to delete applications of your device remotely, at any time, by Google's discretion. Which is bull too, they won't disclose how often, or what information they are collecting at the time, since the blow up of the privacy breech with the Google Maps cars, it makes you wonder.
  • Options
    i don't see an issue here.

Apple is providing the product. So it's their right to do this if they choose.
  • Options
    I couldn't care a less what apple held on me. If I didn't like it, I wouldn't buy anything apple. Simples
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    i don't see an issue here.

Apple is providing the product. So it's their right to do this if they choose.

They havnt previously done this though. Its something new they have introduced to people who allready use the products as well.
  • Options
    It's still their product and their right.
  • Options
    Apple ties you to iTunes, if you refuse their barbaric new terms, that renders your product useless. If you jailbreak your device to not be tied to iTunes, you break the law and in the eyes of Apple, renders your product useless. I don't think you'd agree this is fine if it was a different time, different company [not sure if you do] or owned any of their products. Can't exactly say "I won't buy any" if you already own something.
  • Options
    So if it is their product and their right, would it be morally for a business to refuse to allow black people to use their products, after all it is "their" product.

No it wouldnt be ok.

Its almost a black mail situation, its one thing laying down conditions, its another being able to say we wont let you use our products unless you let us collect all the informatioon we want from you, and nothing in future will remain private. I doubt apple with stop at location data.
  • Options
    G wrote: »
    So if it is their product and their right, would it be morally for a business to refuse to allow black people to use their products, after all it is "their" product.

No it wouldnt be ok.

In theory, yes.
    Its almost a black mail situation, its one thing laying down conditions, its another being able to say we wont let you use our products unless you let us collect all the informatioon we want from you, and nothing in future will remain private. I doubt apple with stop at location data.

Then people shouldn't buy Apple products.
  • Options
    1. People bought apple products before they brought this into force, people have had these products before conditions are imposed.

2. Theres nothing legal about discrimination against blacks, its racism.
  • Options
    Apple owns the products, so they should be able to determine their usage.

And in theory, a firm has the right to deny they choose service.
  • Options
    So you think it is okay for someone to be able to track your location and follow you?
  • Options
    G wrote: »

Oh do fuck off, there's no comparison with not allowing black people to use products, you twat.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    So you think it is okay for someone to be able to track your location and follow you?

If users accept, then yes.
  • Options
    I always thought Gates was the bigger twat than Jobs, but recent events have made me wonder...
  • Options
    Some people have no sense of privacy any longer.
    Privacy could be said to be one of the hallmarks of a civilised modern society as opposed to a tribal society.
    But no longer.
    Some people want cameras everywhere ...if I'm doing nothing wrong what do I have to fear .... ...isn't very bright.

Why do you not mind faceless people in a far off land following your every move ...checking out your habits ...presumably your conversations too?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Oh do fuck off, there's no comparison with not allowing black people to use products, you twat.

There isnt but Kira still agreed that apple would be allowed to get away with it. Its called baiting.
  • Options
    If users accept, then yes.

but when they shell'd out hundreds of pounds to start with THEY DID NOT AGREE TO IT. but to carry on without having a brick you have to agree to it.

heck if they want to force it, fine but at least have the common fucking courtesy to give refunds to the people who've now got bricks
  • Options
    Maybe I'm being a fool, and maybe I'm being too trusting, but I must say I really couldn't give any less of a fuck whether the Apple Corporation can track my movements or not.
  • Options
    Citezen Smith will be turning in his grave.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being a fool, and maybe I'm being too trusting, but I must say I really couldn't give any less of a fuck whether the Apple Corporation can track my movements or not.

Would it make a difference if it was a government saying the same thing?
  • Options
    Apple owns the products, so they should be able to determine their usage.

Err, no they don't. It's a lump of plastic and metal. I bought it from a retailer, who bought it from Apple. I think you'll find that I own it. And since I own it, I should be able to do whatever I want with it. I bought a phone, I didn't buy usage rights to the phone. I bought usage rights from the network, from whom I'm more than happy to accept terms about my usage.

But of course what I physically do with my lump of plastic and metal is secondary to what I do to the software on it. If I choose to unlock and artificial restrictions Apple considers necessary, but I don't, it's none of their fucking business. However, this isn't where the story ends, because what we're actually talking about here is usage statistics in terms of iTunes and the App store, and the applications they provide. And of course, here we're into a different territory, because they are now providing me a service, and should be fully within their rights to offer a set of T&Cs that include collecting usage data about me. However, what they shouldn't be allowed to do, which to my knowledge they currently are doing, is preventing any other company from opening their own app stores, with their own selection of apps, with whatever T&Cs they consider appropriate. Again, they've overstepped the mark from dealing purely with their dealings with the customer, to trying to dictate the customer's dealings with other companies in relation to that little box of plastic and metal, just because they happen to be the manufacturer.

It really is as ridiculous as buying a Sony DVD player, and finding out that you can only play DVDs published by Sony's film company (or non-Sony films they deem worthy), and can only buy them from Sony shops (which of course can then charge ridiculous prices because they have a monopoly). I absolutely guarantee that if this was happening, it would be struck down by every law governing free and fair competition in both America and the EU. And it's not just that. It's that Apple have the power (and have used it) to censor things they deem "inappropriate." So not only are they anti-competition in every sense of the word, they also have ambitions to be our self-elected moral police. But thankfully, they're getting trounced in the smartphone market by Nokia, so it seems the main users of these devices have a bit of sense.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Apple ties you to iTunes, if you refuse their barbaric new terms, that renders your product useless. If you jailbreak your device to not be tied to iTunes, you break the law and in the eyes of Apple, renders your product useless.

Are you quite sure about that? I would've thought it's no different from unlocking your phone from a network, multi-regioning your DVD player, or taking the artificial speed limits you get on German cars. They can put these things in place as standard, but I'd be very surprised if they'd managed to get a law in place that says it's illegal to circumvent such measures. But again, it's all about companies trying to control what people do with things they own, which is ridiculous, and it certainly shouldn't have laws enforcing it.
  • Options
    You have a friend request from Apple. Accept or Ignore? You cannot view Apple's profile, nor can you view Apple's wall - in Apple World, the wall views you.

Thank fuck I'm not subscribed to iTunes. It would have been the biggest mistake of my internet life. I'm glad the likes of Beatport and 7Digital don't want to track me around.
  • Options
    eh? Wtf difference does it make if Apple know where you are and what music you listen to?