Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Let's talk happy drugs? Ranty thread.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long have you been on your anti-d's for? Or how long have you been off them?

I started on fluox when I was 17 - I'm about to turn 21 and in varying doses of varying types I have never been off them. It feels like an absolute lifetime especially as I find it quite hard to achieve orgasm on them (well I became sexually active after I got on them so not really sure) - does anyone else have side effects from theirs? Any success stories?

Feeling the need for a little rant/motivation right not

Comments

• Options
    hmmm, not sure if i'll be much help, i've been on Effexor since early 2008 and i can't fuckin get off the bloody stuff! i've tried twice to cut down my dose, and each has ended me in hospital :( I reckon the only way i will be able to do it is substitute it with something like prozac and taper off that... it's just ridiculous! it's such a small amount anyway (only 37.5g per day) and yet it has such massive withdrawal effects on me :(
    I think the longest i've been off anti d's was when i was 22-25, so i think that is quite good, but i have been taking them (in different pill shapes/colours) for 11 years now, so i am quite worried about the effect this has had on my brain chemistry.
  • Options
    My worst side effects are currently:
    * feeling really off balance, my sight not moving at the same time when i move my head
    * feeling sick/being sick (i can pretty much guarantee that even w/food i will feel somewhat nauseous from my anti d every day :(
    * feeling anxious, but physically anxious, so shakey hands, hot/cold sweats, racing heart, but no 'emotional' anxiety
    * bursting into tears at times of small stress (like being unable to parallel park, if i generally feel tired) when i've forgot to take meds
    * strong, constant palpitations, that didn't go away with beta blockers :/

Ooooh what fun reading the 'side effects' list is! my friend laughed when she read 'excessive yawning' but it's just annoying, i have no idea what is real feelings (physically) and what is side effects :/
  • Options
    I get funny concentrated head rush thingies in parts of my head if I forget a dose, its really hard to explain. If a brain could twitch I'd say it was doing that. If, like on holiday last year, don't have any access to them it develops into nausea and aches as well. I get heart palpitations sometimes but I've always had that. It comes with stress I think. At least I don't get a 'black, hairy tongue', which is on the list of side effects. Its so gross, google it!
  • Options
    i've been on various SSRIs continuously for 6 years and i'm only 20. any attempts to come off them have made me very mentally ill. although i don't feel i'm on the right drug at the moment (or even the right class of drugs) but that's a whole other story.

not going to rant about it though. it's just one of those things.
  • Options
    oh and the concentration! lets not forget that! I was being overdosed before it was terrible then but still pretty bad now. Especially with the FRIGGIN ASSIGNMENT DUE IN TOMORROW!
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    not going to rant about it though. it's just one of those things.

every now and then, a rant does the world of good
  • Options
    Evenstar wrote: »
    every now and then, a rant does the world of good

there's no point getting myself worked up over it, it won't change anything.
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »
    there's no point getting myself worked up over it, it won't change anything.

I find it lets off steam, stops me getting too stressed. But we all have our own coping mechanisms
  • Options
    Was on fluoxetine but they gave me panic attacks and i felt all on edge and horrible.
    I'm on sertraline now, much better. Certainly speak my mind more.

these pills are just crazy... O.O
  • Options
    Evenstar- I totally know what you mean by a brain twitch!!! I think my worst withdrawal effect is the combo of the balance and concentration loss, it makes me feel like i'm tipsy, but not in a good way, in a 'i've had my drink spiked' way :/

and I agree, a rant about this stuff to other people who understand always makes me feel better ( cuz i always think people must think i'm an alcoholic if i forget to take my dose during the day :/ shakey and twitchy and not-quite-there :/)
  • Options
    I'm back on Citalopram. Again. For the fourth time. He even asked me if it had worked before and I said 'no'. But eugh.

DO NOT WANT.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I'm back on Citalopram. Again. For the fourth time. He even asked me if it had worked before and I said 'no'. But eugh.

DO NOT WANT.

just see it as something to get you through your exams. x
  • Options
  • Options
    on and off. dr tried putting me on fluoxatine fairly recently but the side effect it produced just wasnt worth it. was feeling particularly anxious about everything anyway and it just made me feel naueseaus. went back to dr (a diff stupid dr but still) and she told me to keep going with them and it will stop eventually. er no.

i think im alright off them at the mo :)
  • Options
    on and off. dr tried putting me on fluoxatine fairly recently but the side effect it produced just wasnt worth it. was feeling particularly anxious about everything anyway and it just made me feel naueseaus. went back to dr (a diff stupid dr but still) and she told me to keep going with them and it will stop eventually. er no.

i think im alright off them at the mo :)

what dose did you start off on? it took me MONTHS to get over the prozac nausea.

skakitty! I'm not the only one! So glad! obv not that u experience this side effect but still. glad you posted I'm on citalopram though not effexor

I'm also on Neulactil or Pericyazine which is actually an antipsychotic :S if you take it regularly but I take it as and when for anxiety. Pericyazine is in my mind 'the deadening' because it just blocks out emotion - I felt this to an extent with antid's but it is majorly so with Pericyazine. I'm anxious, I take it, I am aware that there are things that should make me anxious but have more of an observer reaction to it than experiential.

I'm also a member of the www.depressionforums.org (havent been on in a while) and would recommend it to anyone still struggling with meds. I like the site more though, you're more like real people :D
  • Options
    20 mg one a day. it probably is worth it but im a pansy and cant deal with that particular side effect. it just exacerbates my anxiety too.
  • Options
    20 mg one a day. it probably is worth it but im a pansy and cant deal with that particular side effect. it just exacerbates my anxiety too.

they fucked up a bit there - doctors that know about this sort of stuff will start you on 10mg and build you up to 20. no wonder you're feeling rough! I found that eating stem ginger and fizzy water really helped me.
  • Options
    im on 1mg of fluanxol a day and 100mg 5htp

I can do without the 5htp if i wanted, but it increases my quality of life. If i come off the fluanxol i go really mental. I tried coming off them for a while a few months back, and although i didnt get withdrawal symptoms, i was really unstable. My anxiety went through the roof and I couldnt sleep at all.
  • Options
    I'm on citalopram (anti-depressant) and risperidone (anti-pyschotic). I get on well with both. The risperidone has probably made the biggest difference in terms of my happiness as I was paranoid before and it has really helped. I thought I was evil, deserved all the bad things that had ever happened to me and I thought that my neighbour wanted to rape my cat. Now I'm so much happier, I don't think I'm evil, I've managed to get my life back together, I have a lovely boyfriend who really understands me, things are going well. Main bad point for me is I've put on a few stone in weight with the risperidone but I was anorexic before too. I'm a size 12 now.
  • Options
    How long have you been on your anti-d's for? Or how long have you been off them?

I started on fluox when I was 17 - I'm about to turn 21 and in varying doses of varying types I have never been off them. It feels like an absolute lifetime especially as I find it quite hard to achieve orgasm on them (well I became sexually active after I got on them so not really sure) - does anyone else have side effects from theirs? Any success stories?

Feeling the need for a little rant/motivation right not

I just wanted to add that I have had a lot of problems with orgasm too although there are several factors involved for me. I hope this gets better for you soon.
  • Options
    Haven't been on ADs for about 6 months now and I think everything is good with me :) .

I worked my way through a few, and got a bit fed up of spending 2 weeks with quite a few side effects, and then waiting for another 6 or so weeks, really hoping they'd make a difference. And then they didn't. The dose would get upped, I'd reach the maximum and start on another one. And more side effects. It ended up with me being on ADs that were giving me horrible headaches to the point that I'd be sick, and I couldn't get an appointment with a doctor, so had to come off them without any support or advice. That sucked.

In fact... maybe one of you guys will be able to answer a question I've had for a while but never got round to asking. *Starts a new thread*
  • Options
    I was just looking at some of the brand names happy drugs have here:
    http://www.depressionforums.org/articles/366/1/Medications-A-Z/Page1.html

who in the hell comes up with them? Is there a little man in a room somewhere coming up happy and dramatic sounding names? They have nothing to do with the chemical names
  • Options
    they fucked up a bit there - doctors that know about this sort of stuff will start you on 10mg and build you up to 20. no wonder you're feeling rough! I found that eating stem ginger and fizzy water really helped me.

haha really? ah well, if i ever need to go back on them i'll ask for a lower dosage :)
  • Options
    haha really? ah well, if i ever need to go back on them i'll ask for a lower dosage :)
    If they made you feel anything like how I'm feeling right now (am lying in bed with a pounding headache trying not to throw up), I wouldn't bother. I took half of a 20mg tablet as he told me to do.

So much for fucking revision.
  • Options
    what dose did you start off on? it took me MONTHS to get over the prozac nausea.

Were you give any anti sickness stuff to help?

I'm not on anything and was offered something last month. I'm not sure if I want to go on anything - I have serious issues with side effects; (I always get them) however, going on something might stop the awful feeling of needing to run away again - I dunno though.
  • Options
    no, melian they didn't give me any :(

clemantine - prozac doesn't come in 10mg pills so you get this file minty liquid which tastes like the devils backwash. :yuck: the very taste of that stuff makes you feel sick, but it doesn't last as long as the higher dose stuff
  • Options
    ah i know the type you mean! i think my bro has it. he's weird and cant swallow pills so has to have it in liquid form. im the complete opposite :yuck:
  • Options
    Re- sickness as a side effect- i once went to the pharmacist with this issue, i told her i was on effexor and she told me there wasn't anything i could take, 'because it was a side effect' and not 'proper nausea' :/ ...is this correct?
  • Options
    clemantine - prozac doesn't come in 10mg pills so you get this file minty liquid which tastes like the devils backwash.

:yes: it's absolutely vile. tbh i think it's quite rare for them to prescribe less than 20mg because it is pretty small dose anyway. i had the syrup when i was on 50mg i think.
  • Options
    I was on that syrup fluoxetine (60mg) because I'm vegetarian and the capsules have gelatine in them. It tasted gross but good gross.