Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Africa is not a country

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote: »
    oop, there's Madagascar, I always used to take that when playing Risk.

You're better of going to Australia, harder to attack and once you get it yoy get an extra 2 units per turn. They who rule Australia rules the world :D
  • Options
    I just used think Madagascar was cute, it wasn't very tactical.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    If you judge it against western standards...

What does that mean?

Using standards such as public services, healthcare, education, etc. What other metrics should be used?
  • Options
    Well, you put etc. therefore I'm sure that you can think of others. Also, when you consider a concept like 'education', it can be measured against varied standards, Western or otherwise.
  • Options
    What do you mean? Are things like life expectancy Western Standards? Child mortality? Running water? Literacy?
    kira wrote: »
    What does that mean?

Using standards such as public services, healthcare, education, etc. What other metrics should be used?

I mean that depends on what you consider good "living standards" to be.

Greater life expectancy means we have to work harder, to be able to afford to live longer. Healthcare means that we live longer, but with greater infirmity in older age. For example.

Take our oil away and just how high a standard do you think you will be living at then? Why do you think that Govts were so scared of "Swine Flu"?

Does literacy help you catch more fish, care for farm animals etc?

Life is so very different across the two continents that you really cannot say that our standards are "better", just that our values are different as a consequence of the lifestyles we lead.
  • Options
    Living standards are defined via material possession. In that sense, determining which region is richer is a no-brainer.

I would agree that quality of life is subjective. But most of the world seeks Western living standards, since there is at least a relationship (but not a total one) between living standards and quality of life.
  • Options
    Living standards are defined via material possession.

No, material wealth is calculated on that basis.

A lonely millionaire with a big house and all the gizmos he could ask for is still lonely.
    But most of the world seeks Western living standards, since there is at least a relationship (but not a total one) between living standards and quality of life.

Why do you think that some people crave the western approach?
  • Options
    But most of the world seeks Western living standards, since there is at least a relationship (but not a total one) between living standards and quality of life.

A lot of people see the Western approach as immoral.
  • Options
    I mean that depends on what you consider good "living standards" to be.

Greater life expectancy means we have to work harder, to be able to afford to live longer. Healthcare means that we live longer, but with greater infirmity in older age. For example.

Take our oil away and just how high a standard do you think you will be living at then? Why do you think that Govts were so scared of "Swine Flu"?

Does literacy help you catch more fish, care for farm animals etc?

Life is so very different across the two continents that you really cannot say that our standards are "better", just that our values are different as a consequence of the lifestyles we lead.

Frankly I bet most African's would be willing to work harder for longer life expectancy (and to be honest our life in the office isn't hard if you compare it to working in a sweat shop or trying to eke out a subsistence living with farming implements we gave up with in the nineteenth century).

Now I'd accept your argument that we're only one step away from barbarism, but its not relevant

And ask any farmer whether literacy helps you care for farm animals. Coming from a farming background my grandpa would always call on vets educated to a post-graduate level, rather than an illterate. Animal husbandry is much better in the West.

I can quiet easily say our standard of life is much better. I suspect few Africans would disagree
  • Options
    No, material wealth is calculated on that basis.

A lonely millionaire with a big house and all the gizmos he could ask for is still lonely.

Well, quality of life is relative.
    Why do you think that some people crave the western approach?

Reaching Western living standards one of the aims of China and India. I think the "some" in that sense is literally hundreds of millions of people.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    A lot of people see the Western approach as immoral.

In terms of social freedoms, perhaps. But not in terms of living standards/economics.
  • Options
    In terms of social freedoms, perhaps. But not in terms of living standards/economics.

People's attitudes to money, and possessions are often seen as immoral by various other cultures.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    People's attitudes to money, and possessions are often seen as immoral by various other cultures.

I disagree, at least partly. It's not only western countries that are wealthy. Japan culturally is not Western, but is a first world country. The same with South Korea. I think the main reason is because (according to other cultures) we're too sexually liberal, give gays rights, etc. People from more conservative cultures dislike this.

I don't think many cultures hold an issue with wealth per se. Since most cultures in the world are poor, then growing their economies and increasing the economic pie (so to speak) is the only way to improve their living standards.
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    But we all know that, right?

Vimbai challenges our perceptions of the continent:
    http://www.thesite.org.uk/community/reallife/rants/africaisnotacountry

Does any of this strike a chord with you?

Why don't you say that you are not well with black people.Africa is a nice country with lots of animals.I think the government is not good.
  • Options

:yes: There have been numerous studies done by the New Economics Foundation and the Happy Planet Index which show how material wealth and wellbeing actually have an INVERSE relationship once you pass the poverty line. Once basic needs are catered for, the richer the country then the more social inequality there is, the more widespread crime is, and the more time is spent doing things that do not fulfil people.

Once basic needs are met, money doesn't have as much of a bearing on well-being as people want to think.
  • Options
    I don't think many reckon that living standards and quality of life are the same thing.

Quality of life is relative. Everything in life is relative.
  • Options
    I though Africa was a country x
  • Options
    garfield2 wrote: »
    Why don't you [**Helen**] say that you are not well with black people.
    It's probably not a good idea to accuse one of the forum moderators of being a racist...
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    It's probably not a good idea to accuse one of the forum moderators of being a racist...

Sorry for that.
  • Options
    Why don't you say that you are not well with black people.Africa is a nice country with lots of animals.I think the government is not good.

AFRICA ISN'T A COUNTRY.
  • Options

:rolleyes:

Sorry about this chaps and chappesses, but I think one of my children has started an accout.

Oh wait, they've worked out Africa isn't a country... Thank God for infant school education
  • Options
    *Alarna* wrote: »
    I though Africa was a country x

Yes it is a country where there are many people there.It has been formed by the eruption of volcano and people has started to live there.Recently the Fifa 2010 has been held there and many people were present.The weather is good there and the animals also.:hyper:
    :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Don't be alarmed.
  • Options
    troll
  • Options
    Yes it is a country where there are many people there.It has been formed by the eruption of volcano and people has started to live there.Recently the Fifa 2010 has been held there and many people were present.The weather is good there and the animals also.:hyper:

Don't be alarmed.
    gtfo
  • Options

Don't be alarmed.

Is it just me or do there seem to be more trolls about than usual at the moment? I'm getting a bit gribbly about all this; all the good'uns are leaving and we have this irritating rubbish on the invasion.
  • Options
    Is it just me or do there seem to be more trolls about than usual at the moment? .

Mods seem to be doing fuck all about it.
  • Options
    Is it just me or do there seem to be more trolls about than usual at the moment?
    There are. I wouldn't especially mind myself if they were any good, but they're terrible.

Education isn't what it used to be.
  • Options
    Yes it is a country where there are many people there.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt because English doesn't seem to be your first language.

Africa = whole continent, many countries
    South Africa = country that hosted World Cup
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Mods seem to be doing fuck all about it.

We could start a bring back JimV campaign :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    We could start a bring back JimV campaign :D
    We start with a plot to get him fired from the other place. :D