Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Africa is not a country

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
But we all know that, right?

Vimbai challenges our perceptions of the continent:
http://www.thesite.org.uk/community/reallife/rants/africaisnotacountry

Does any of this strike a chord with you?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you want me to find the typos again?
  • Options
    **helen** wrote: »
    Does any of this strike a chord with you?

Not particularly. It might be true, but I'd suggest Sarah Palin is hardly a representitive example of the way people view Africa. But we do the same thing with everywhere else. Americans refer to Europe as a singular entity when it's convenient, and we do to America, despite also being massively varied state to state. We often talk about the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, the Caribbean, South East Asia, South America, Central America, the list goes on. And I don't see the issue with labelling someone "African." If they're from a country in Africa, they're African, just like British people are European. Unless you're blatantly getting it wrong (I wonder how many people in Africa would say "English" when they mean "British, for example). But I don't see why someone should have to choose the label "African." It only becomes an issue when you attach all of this baggage to the label that doesn't need to exist, which I suspect is her real issue here. People having a homogenized view of an entire section of the world. But again, that's nothing unique to Africa.
  • Options
    But again, that's nothing unique to Africa.

:yes: I totally agree - still think the issues specific to how people view Africa are interesting though.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Do you want me to find the typos again?

:lol: go head.
  • Options
    I had my fingers crossed (after reading the title) that the post was just going to be "Or is it..."

But alas. This was not so. :lol:
    Xx
  • Options
    I'd probably add some punctuation marks in somewhere in here. ETA, this one might just be a matter of 'taste' though.
    You may be thinking: Of course I know Africa is a continent, but have you really thought it through?
    didn't know Africa was continent.
    needs an 'a'
  • Options
    On Topic:

I would find it weird if someone refered to me as a European, and think being 'European' didn't really reflect me at all, whereas I don't care whether someone calls me Enlglish or British
  • Options
    I can name every country in Africa. True story.
  • Options
    You know what's really annoying?

The amount of times I have to remind people that Africa consists of more than just South Africa.

'Oh hey, didn't your dad live in South Africa?', or 'Does that mean your stepmum is South African?'

No. He lived in East Africa. No. She is Kenyan. South Africa is one tiny little part of a huge, huge continent that is diverse and amazing and wonderful.
  • Options
    I remember being in a club and this drunk prick was chatting up my saffa mate... He asked her where she's from, she told him South Africa and the genius asked "so how come you're not black then?"

I think that there is a misconception of Africa as being entirely black, war torn and impoverished.
    I would find it weird if someone refered to me as a European, and think being 'European' didn't really reflect me at all, whereas I don't care whether someone calls me Enlglish or British
    I used to know a yank who said "that's so European!" at some things I did and said that Wales wasn't part of Britain...

In fact that does annoy me... The idea that Wales is England, or that it doesn't have its own culture, national identity or language. I have for example, heard people say that they don't think people should have Welsh language radio stations because English is spoken in Wales...

Um excuse me... Why the hell not? :confused: Maybe we should all wallow in out Big Macs with cheese and not celebrate our culture
  • Options

needs an 'a'

Better that than "in" I suppose :)
  • Options
    On Topic:

European I find weird, but technically accurate. I do get pissed of when people get English and British mixed up; I'm British, I am not English...
  • Options
    Well I think the British / European distinction is a bit like South East Asia and Japan. It's technically part of it, but culturally different enough for people to mention it individually.
  • Options
    Unm, people from Africa are Africans, regardless of whether it's a country or not.
  • Options
    The post sums it up. It annoys me when people think it's a country that is ALL covered with poverty, starving chilren, AIDs ridden, war and violence, no electricity or homes.

It is kinda how the media passes it off as.
  • Options
    Not knowing that Africa is a continent just shows a rather limited knowledge of geography.

I find the need to define oneself as English, British or European, beyond banal.
  • Options
    Sorry to drag an old thread up, but I was just watching this interview with Emmanuel Adebayor, and it reminded me of something I was thinking about during the World Cup. Can anyone honestly say that after watching the World Cup, they would blame anyone for thinking of Africa as one homogeneous mass? And this wasn't just media representations, this was Africans talking about how important the World Cup is for Africa. Not South Africa, Africa. You didn't hear Chinese or Malaysian people saying how much it meant to have the World Cup in Japan and Korea a few years ago. When Ghana went out, all we heard was how it broke African hearts. Can you imagine the same being said about South America when Uruguay were knocked out? Why should anyone but Ghanaians care about Ghana going out? But I don't think this was my imagination that there were plenty of non-Ghanaian Africans that were fully behind the team. So while I agree that people often tend to be blind to the differences throughout Africa, I don't think the continent does itself any favours in that respect either. Which is fair enough. If you want to support a fellow African team doing well, go ahead, but I don't think it would happen in any other region in the world.

Did anyone else notice this when watching the World Cup?
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more.

Those words almost echo a conversation I had during the tournament.
  • Options
    Yes I noticed that from the fans and players. When Ghana beat the USA, after the final whistle Sulley Muntari looked at the camera and patted his chest with pride whilst saying... "Africa!"
  • Options
    "I'm sure I wasn't alone in cringing as a result of both shock and embarrassment when it was revealed Sarah Palin, former Governor of Alaska and John McCain's running mate, didn't know Africa was a continent."

Sarah Palin wouldn't know how her elbow from her arse, never mind anything about basic geography.
  • Options
    .....but because by incorrectly viewing Africa as a singular country people are ignoring the continent's diversity. Suddenly there's nothing special about Egypt's pyramids, Namibia's sand dunes or Tanzania's Mount Kilimanjaro. They are all the same and, worse still, they are overridden by stereotypical ideas. Given the constant bombardment of images of countries wrought with wars, poverty and corruption, when you mistake Africa for a singular country you reduce a whole continent to a country of starving communities with shoddy hospitals, wells that are twenty miles away and schools with no desks. It's also perceived that middle-class communities are non-existent, or that the small group in existence is corrupt, and anyone outside that corrupt group is extraordinarily poor with only two pence to survive on a day and living in a mud-hut.

I get what she's saying, and yes it is annoying when people lack such basic geographical knowledge, but she seems to be clumping two irritating things together, which don't have a necessary logical link.

It's annoying when people think Africa is a country, and it's annoying when people think everyone in Africa is either poor or corrupt. But I don't think the second incorrect perception is contingent upon the second. I have a friend who thought Africa was a country (she also thought Amsterdam was in Denmark and that Vietnam was fictional :rolleyes: ) but who certainly wouldn't categorise all Africans into the 'small-child-with-flies-on-face' or 'corrupt-politician-with-blood-on-hands' boxes.

I also wouldn't consider that thinking of Africa as a single entity undermines the cultural and historical value of things like the Pyramids or Kilimanjaro. It's misguided, yes, but again not predicated on the assumption that Africa is one country.

I'd like to see world history paid its due attention in schools; a programme where the histories and interconnections between African countries, and indeed between Asian countries and world continents, are taught with the same interest and rigour that children are taught (and then re-taught, and then re-taught) about the Tudors and WW2. Maybe then there would be a better understanding of the way that countries are linked, and the parts that continental identities play in politics and societies. Part of my dissertation was focused around the relationship between Rwanda and Uganda at the time of the genocide, and also on the relationships of the DRC with its neighbouring countries during its conflict. I remember sitting there devouring tons of books and articles on the subjects and thinking "this is SO interesting and SO important. Why the hell didn't I learn this in school?"
  • Options
    Can anyone honestly say that after watching the World Cup, they would blame anyone for thinking of Africa as one homogeneous mass? And this wasn't just media representations, this was Africans talking about how important the World Cup is for Africa. Not South Africa, Africa.

I noticed this, but I took a different tack. I think it underlined the sense that Africans have about being always percieved as "Third World", corrupt violent tribal lead idiots, incapable of running a country.

Then taking pride in the fact that this was the first time a major sporting occasion had taken place on their continent and they did it pretty damned well, thank you very much.

It actually highlighted that what they had in common was more important than national divisions. Shame Europe has never learned that, really.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    It actually highlighted that what they had in common was more important than national divisions. Shame Europe has never learned that, really.

To be honest, looking at many African countries it's a shame neither have they
  • Options
    Say any one of us went overseas, and the locals asked us that since we're British and the UK is in Europe, does this mean that Europe is a country? What would you think about their comment?

It's basically ignorance that makes people believe that Africa is a country. Africa certainly not is a unified sovereign country.

And Adebayor was simply voicing a comment that many Africans, namely being a common African identity. This is not the same as Africa being a country though, since it comes in part from experiences of colonialism, and the fact that Africa today remains a poor part of the world (well, the poorest part).
  • Options
    kira wrote: »
    Africa today remains a poor part of the world (well, the poorest part).

:yeees: Unfortunately by making that comment you're doing precisely what pisses the writer of that article. off. 'Africa' is not the poorest part of the world. The ten poorest countries in the world are IN Africa.
  • Options
    Context

africa_pol_2003.jpg
  • Options
    It depends how one defines poorest.

Asia has poor countries, but it also has highly wealthy ones such as Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and large emerging economies such as China and India. Africa has none of these.

In a generalised sense, the living standards of Africa as a continent are lower than other parts of the world.
  • Options
    kira wrote: »

In a generalised sense, the living standards of Africa as a continent are lower than other parts of the world.

If you judge it against western standards...
  • Options
    oop, there's Madagascar, I always used to take that when playing Risk.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    If you judge it against western standards...

What do you mean? Are things like life expectancy Western Standards? Child mortality? Running water? Literacy?