Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vegetable Soup

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Am thinking of making some homemade soup since its cheap and healthy, just checking on the recipe.

Do i basically dice a load of veg and boil with some vegetable stock? Is there anything else I need to add to thicken it or anything or will that do?

Also, how can I store it? I dont have much fridge space, maybe enough to store about 2 litres at a time if i get the right containers. How long will it last?

Comments

• Options
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Am thinking of making some homemade soup since its cheap and healthy, just checking on the recipe.

Do i basically dice a load of veg and boil with some vegetable stock? Is there anything else I need to add to thicken it or anything or will that do?

Also, how can I store it? I dont have much fridge space, maybe enough to store about 2 litres at a time if i get the right containers. How long will it last?

I would put the vegies in blender, thin with water till desired consistency is reached, leave a few veges out if you want to give it some crunchyness, or just add them to the blend later, add what ever spices... garlic, curry, keep the salt to a minimuim.... eat cold, more nutritious, more filling, easier.. if you have a blender? if not, just eat the veg..

Yes i have been eating a 95%+ Living food diet the for over a month and have never felt better... here's a link..

http://www.rawfoodtalk.com

Voila!
  • Options
    I made leek and potato soup for bonfire night ans was v.yummy.

Simmering is the key, not boiling.

Soup freezes really well, but in plastic container as water expands when it freezes.
  • Options
    If you make it and it's too thin add a bit of cornflour in water
  • Options
    I just chop the veg, cook it in stock cubes with herbs and a bit of tumeric, i like my veg chucky and a watery sauce so i leave it, but you can blend it to make it thicker. It freezes very easily and lasts for ages in the freezer xx
  • Options
    I make a very simple vegetable barley soup. onion, carrots, celery, potato and barley in vegetable stock and water. Season with salt and pepper, you can also add chicken and it tastes good blended. Sometime i add a little chili paste too
  • Options
    I made a stew... vegi soup with meat I guess :p It was pretty much just that and broth and added thyme, rosemary and oregeno, and a full bulb of finely chopped garlic sauteed with equally finley chopped onion for flavor. Was quite tasty. IF it is a store bought broth, watch out, though, many are very high in sodium.

Blended soups :sour: Soups should only be liquid if there are liquid only ingrediants ;)

And I third or fifth or whatever number it is at for the freeze them. My freezer is filled with soups cuz I cook for an army and it is really just me.

And like RS says, simmer... unless you have a crockpot, oh everything comes out just right.
  • Options
    whatever vegetable soup you make, blend it in the blender and put potatos with it because they make the soup thick yum yum!

sometimes coliflower thickens the soup too if you don't want to have potatos. hmmm need some lunch I think....this is making me hungry!:heart:
  • Options
    Leek and potatoe soup is for winners.
  • Options
    One way I've found to make storing it easier is to make it really thick and concentrated then thin it with water or milk or stock or whatever just before you eat it. I've often frozen more of a puree than a soup when making vegetable soup.
  • Options
    My favourite 'soup' type dish is a kidney bean stew I make with Caribbean spices...

I add okra to thicken it.