Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If we gave you £500...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Na on a Rock.

I think the problem as much as it is a smart idea with things like memberships etc is they are orientated towards particular people, for example if it was a survay/competition about movies/film industry a Annual cinema pass is a good prize, but a lot of people might not be into the cinema, the same with sports etc.

just my views though so I may be wrong and I suppose the same can be said re. holiday/techie stuff.

people are into travelling though..for freeeeee!
  • Options
    TV :p
  • Options
    Well, thesite is a place for giving advice right? For helping people. For character building in some ways. What about sending the winner on one of these volunteering missions where they go build a school in south america?

Not sure how much of a budget there is to go with it, but there are pros:
    - good way to raise profile / involvement with thesite / youthnet
    - helping needy people
    - building character and helping young people more than giving them the latest gadget ever could (get them to write a blog!)

Obviously the cons are the cost and the increased difficulty in organising it. food for thought.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well, thesite is a place for giving advice right? For helping people. For character building in some ways. What about sending the winner on one of these volunteering missions where they go build a school in south america?

- helping needy people
    - building character and helping young people more than giving them the latest gadget ever could (get them to write a blog!)

Obviously the cons are the cost and the increased difficulty in organising it. food for thought.

that's a really really good idea
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    If you gave me £500 then I'd probable piss it up the wall or put it up my nose.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    If you gave me £500 then I'd probable piss it up the wall or put it up my nose.

Mental imagery of you with a wad of £20s trying to force them up there :p hahaha
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »

- helping needy people

That would be so cool! but a group of people in my school went to Peru for 2 weeks and it was £2000 per person. And thats not including all the injections they needed and some of them were like £50. :(
    But it could be less as the insurance they needed because technically they were going with the school, so the insurance coasted more.
  • Options
    That would be so cool! but a group of people in my school went to Peru for 2 weeks and it was £2000 per person. And thats not including all the injections they needed and some of them were like £50. :(
    But it could be less as the insurance they needed because technically they were going with the school, so the insurance coasted more.
    Yup, this.

My trip to Peru cost me ~£700, plus injections (which luckily I didn't need because of my dad), the backpack (which again, I didn't need because my sister had one), spending money and appropriate clothing. That was massively subsidised by the college though, and we did a *lot* of fundraising (I think we raised over £10k but I don't really remember).
  • Options
    £500 Argos/Currys giftcard then people can get what they want but obviously only from those stores.
  • Options
    Don't wait too long putting the survey up as I'm 26 in 13 days :p hehe.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Don't wait too long putting the survey up as I'm 26 in 13 days :p hehe.

hahahaha your gonna miss it :p
  • Options
    i would put it towards my car, tax, petrol blah blah blah. - but thats the boring side of what i would do with it :P

or, get a swanky SLR camera for my studies or an iphone ;D

but in an ideal world, as silly as it sounds i wouldnt mind getting a tiny studio somewhere and rent it to do some of my own projects in :D
  • Options
    OMG yes do like a year/2year contract for an Iphone (depending how much it costs) OMG that would rock....
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    (well if you're 16-25)
    NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :crying: :crying: :crying:
    Xx
  • Options
    And bear in mind you could have a good chance of actually winning this (well if you're 16-25) ;)

Roll on equality legislation :crying:
  • Options
    an annual bus pass :p or train ticket.

i dont know how much they cost nowadays... or annual cinema/gym membership. membership to something!

Thats a good one...unless you live on a rock.

But yeah, more or less what has already been mentioned sounds good.
  • Options
    WELL if I was to win a £500 prize I would love the prize to be a new laptop :D I love my Vaio but I have almost filled my gigabites up and need a new one ;)
  • Options
    A prize up to £500? I would want amazon vouchers worth £500.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind getting to spend 500 quid on amazon. :hyper:

Giftcard with an airline perhaps?

Phones, cameras, consoles and stuff is probably desirable for most people. If you don't want to own it you should be able to sell it ;)
  • Options
    Holiday voucher. Do such things exist?!
  • Options
    I have been dealt a double blow by this thread.

Not only are you NOT giving me £500, I can't even entertain the possibility of winning goods to the value of because I am outside of the target age group.

Woe :(
  • Options
    i vote for a holiday voucher to spend on going where you want...you could have a loooooovely minibreak with £500.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a bad suggestion but I wouldn't like a holiday voucher as I have no interest in holidays.
  • Options
    A holiday voucher is cool, but if a 16 or 17 or 18 person won it, it might not be *as* good?
  • Options
    If I were given £500 just now; I'd travel into the City of London, find 10 people whom have become homeless or are homeless; unkempt and and purchase clothes; amenities; bread etc. to give to them and give advice to them; treat them as human beings; tell them I thought them as being important as individuals and I cared about them despite not having talked to them or met them beforehand; to be able to give them opportunities to smile and to be appreciated by another person.

Love is an eternal, wholesome; human gift which cannot be broken; torn; disheveled; disgraced; usurped or told is otherwise null and void.

Love is?

Excuse me; I think I'm going to shed a tear.

:frown:
  • Options
    What about putting it on one of those prepaid credit cards, which could help you get funding from visa/mastercard type companies ;)

I would personally spend it on music equipment for the boy/clothes/shoes/accesories or baby things
  • Options
    Okay folks, thanks for all the suggestions. It's given us a lot to think about :)

For now we're going with a simple prize draw for 5 PS3's for a money section feedback survey, and a £500 travel voucher/fund plus £500 worth of £5 vouchers for a major new feedback survey for TheSite as a whole. Apparently we're psychologically incapable of providing prizes that don't feature the number 5 ;)

We'll then see how that goes and look at other suggestions for the future. I'll post up the surveys when they go live so everyone can take them (though again they will be restricted by funders to UK peeps who are 16-25)

cheers again
    :thumb:
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    With 500 quid? I'd pay for a return flight to my next travel destination. So either Brazil or China, and then still have a little bit left as spending money, depending on how well I hunted for cheap flights.
    The best prize I ever got was £500 travel vouchers, got me to New Orleans and back :)
  • Options
    Okay folks, thanks for all the suggestions. It's given us a lot to think about :)

For now we're going with a simple prize draw for 5 PS3's for a money section feedback survey, and a £500 travel voucher/fund plus £500 worth of £5 vouchers for a major new feedback survey for TheSite as a whole. Apparently we're psychologically incapable of providing prizes that don't feature the number 5 ;)

We'll then see how that goes and look at other suggestions for the future. I'll post up the surveys when they go live so everyone can take them (though again they will be restricted by funders to UK peeps who are 16-25)

cheers again
    :thumb:

OMG OMG OMG woohoo, I am going to enter, hack and close your website down so I can win all the prizes for myself, WOOHOOOOOO
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    Roll on equality legislation :crying:

I've just noticed that my TheSite profile is showing my wrong age - it has me at 27 for some silly reason. I am in fact, rather conveniently, only 25. Maybe MoK, if you were to check your profile you'd also find that your age has been entered incorrectly, as you too are indeed, I'm sure, only 25.