Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If we gave you £500...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey all,

We're just about to go live with a new survey and we were wondering about something. If, on top of a pile of £5 vouchers, we also had a star prize worth £500 - what prize would you want?

And bear in mind you could have a good chance of actually winning this (well if you're 16-25) ;)

So let us know and I'll let you know when the survey goes live

Comments

• Options
    I like the £5 vouchers and i have just remembered i have one :hyper:
    But £500 would get a lot more people to do the survey me thinks :chin:
  • Options
    Ah sorry, not clear enough there -

Question is what should we spend the £500 on? We'd still have the £5 vouchers but then we'd also have a more expensive star prize.

So what we're trying to figure out is what big star prize to have - as we can't justify handing out quite that much cash to one person as well as the vouchers :)
  • Options
    ohh my bad. although £500 would be great ;)

I have no idea. I will have a think :)
  • Options
    You could split the cash prize between say the top ten people so they only get £50 each, not so extravagant then...

Hmm i'm not sure what you could spend that amount of money on that wouldnt also seem like an over the top prize
  • Options
    Hmmm £500 is a lot.... Only things I can think of are techy things... like camera/phone/laptop/games console or something.
  • Options
    Hmmm £500 is a lot.... Only things I can think of are techy things... like camera/phone/laptop/games console or something.

Thats the only type of thing i could think of too.

I like Lexi's idea
  • Options
    These would do me nicely...but I'm 28 so my opinion's not valid ;)
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    These would do me nicely...but I'm 28 so my opinion's not valid ;)

lol!

yeah something tech related would be the best and easiest. or maybe a few things, like an ipod and a games console. or an electric guitar :D
    £500 is a lot though!
  • Options
    An ipod touch and a laptop would be great. Maybe a HDD recorder and a nice TV.
  • Options
    an electric guitar :D

Got my vote! like this one! clicky :D

DSi
    one of those electronic book thingys
    a WII with assorted games
    ipod touch
    Laptop
    Blu-ray player (how much are they?)
    Or You could do it like the gadget show and have a lots of prizes that add up to £500.
  • Options
    Without seeming like a party-pooper, TheSite is a charity. I think you should keep the money for your continued upkeep. I already think the £5 vouchers are generous enough already.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Without seeming like a party-pooper, TheSite is a charity. I think you should keep the money for your continued upkeep. I already think the £5 vouchers are generous enough already.

Party pooper :p

But seriously, nice thought man, but there's one thing thats really important to remember about the way we're funded. Often money is given by trusts or organisations with a specific understanding of how different elements are spent.

So for example we may be given, as part of a wider bid, a few grand for incentives. In return there's a specific target we have to reach, with surveys, user panels, focus groups, etc.

If that money isn't spent, then it's often taken away from us the following year and if we fail to reach the targets in surveys then that can have an impact on future funding from the same bodies.

So any bid will include money for general upkeep, or core, funding, specific project work and also money marked specifically to be used to get people involved. It's important for us that if money comes in based on the contribution of you peeps (as in the case of doing surveys) then the bid should properly reward your effort.

Now if you did the survey and didn't ask for the voucher, then it's a bit easier to use the money for something else, but don't worry nothing is coming out of our money to keep the services running in order to pay for a prize.

In fact a big prize and a big uptake on a survey actually helps bring in much more money in the long run :)
  • Options
    With 500 quid? I'd pay for a return flight to my next travel destination. So either Brazil or China, and then still have a little bit left as spending money, depending on how well I hunted for cheap flights.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    An XBox360 elite with a years sub to XBox-Live? Or as has been said before, something in the tech vein. Tech is fairly expensive these days and very desirable. So would probably be your easiest option.
  • Options
    Google Nexus One mobile phone would be awesome :thumb:

Or £500 worth of drugs so I can stop worrying. :/
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Or £500 worth of drugs so I can stop worrying. :/

:thumb: yes! because then you'd have to use TheSite boards more, to get peoples help to kick the habit, get general advice when it all goes wrong etc etc. Therefore, in the long run, TheSite benefits!

Maybe Jim needs to make a note of this one :p
  • Options
    Got my vote! like this one! clicky :D

I'd go for this one: Click Here!!
  • Options
    You could buy me a camera with it Jim :flirt:.
  • Options
    un techie related, which is weird for a tech head like me, what about a holiday? weekend away or something like that?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    un techie related, which is weird for a tech head like me, what about a holiday? weekend away or something like that?

Yeah I was going to say, going on from my travelling thing...how about a city break somewhere in Europe for a long weekend?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Party pooper :p

But seriously, nice thought man, but there's one thing thats really important to remember about the way we're funded. Often money is given by trusts or organisations with a specific understanding of how different elements are spent.

So for example we may be given, as part of a wider bid, a few grand for incentives. In return there's a specific target we have to reach, with surveys, user panels, focus groups, etc.

If that money isn't spent, then it's often taken away from us the following year and if we fail to reach the targets in surveys then that can have an impact on future funding from the same bodies.

So any bid will include money for general upkeep, or core, funding, specific project work and also money marked specifically to be used to get people involved. It's important for us that if money comes in based on the contribution of you peeps (as in the case of doing surveys) then the bid should properly reward your effort.

Now if you did the survey and didn't ask for the voucher, then it's a bit easier to use the money for something else, but don't worry nothing is coming out of our money to keep the services running in order to pay for a prize.

In fact a big prize and a big uptake on a survey actually helps bring in much more money in the long run :)

Ohhh! Ok! Well, that makes sense. Thanks Jim. :)
  • Options
    I'd spend it on a deposit for a holiday for myself and the missus as we haven't been away in over 4 years!
  • Options
    well, i need a new laptop so i'd spend the £500 on one ;)
  • Options
    Laptop, digital cameras, wii, phones, ipods .. something techie i would say. Would deffo get loads of people taking the survery with one of those as prizes.
  • Options
    Seems to be split between Holiday/Techie stuff,

What about 1 main prize of around £300 worth of stuff and 2 runner up prizes of £100 a peice, so sharing the wealth?
  • Options
    an annual bus pass :p or train ticket.

i dont know how much they cost nowadays... or annual cinema/gym membership. membership to something!
  • Options

i dont know how much they cost nowadays... or annual cinema/gym membership. membership to something!

Thats a good one
  • Options

no that idea suck, we dont get trains here, or cinema and I get gym free and I WILL WIN so thats a sucky prize :(
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    no that idea suck, we dont get trains here, or cinema and I get gym free and I WILL WIN so thats a sucky prize :(

yeah but you live in the sticks...i think?
  • Options
    yeah but you live in the sticks...i think?

Na on a Rock.

I think the problem as much as it is a smart idea with things like memberships etc is they are orientated towards particular people, for example if it was a survay/competition about movies/film industry a Annual cinema pass is a good prize, but a lot of people might not be into the cinema, the same with sports etc.

just my views though so I may be wrong and I suppose the same can be said re. holiday/techie stuff.