Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

quick question about grammar...!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm getting myself confused... is it "an X-ray" or "a X-ray"? Neither sounds right to me!

Comments

• Options
    An??? Well... that sounds better when you say it at least...
    Xx
  • Options
    well i though an sounded a bit better but written down it looks the same and well, X isn't a vowel. Maybe it's an exception...

Speedy reply btw!
  • Options
    Im sure it's an. :)
  • Options
    I think its 'an' because when you say X, you pronounce it 'ex', and words beginning with vowels have 'an' before them
  • Options
    The way you pronounce it.. it's an "ex ray", therefore the word is "an".

I've got an iPod.
    It's an HP printer. ("an ache pee printer")
    He's an MC. ("he's an em see")
  • Options
    Speedy reply btw!

It was a matter of urgancy :lol:

And, I never knew that rule that everyones posted! Does that apply for everything in English? Or is it just another of those "I before E except after C" rules that hardly ever work...
    Xx
  • Options
    Thank you!!! :D
  • Options
    well i though an sounded a bit better but written down it looks the same and well, X isn't a vowel. Maybe it's an exception...

Speedy reply btw!
    EDIT: 'kay, fixed.
    :D And it's absolutely "an" X-ray.
  • Options

And, I never knew that rule that everyones posted! Does that apply for everything in English? Or is it just another of those "I before E except after C" rules that hardly ever work...
    Xx

yeah one of those. If a word starts with A,E,I,O or U it's "an". There are a few exceptions. Like "it's an honour" and "an x-ray" apparently :)
  • Options

Xx
    When it comes to a/an it's all about pronunciation. If you pronounce "herb" with a silent H it's an herb - but if your accent dictates that it starts with an "h" sound, it's a herb. It allows for smoothness of speaking - "an cat" or "a X-ray" would require an unnecessary pause, whereas "a cat" or "an X-ray" can be said quickly. So it's not about the letter, it's about the letter sound.
  • Options
    yeah one of those. If a word starts with A,E,I,O or U it's "an". There are a few exceptions. Like "it's an honour" and "an x-ray" apparently :)

Because of the way you pronounce them, 'honour' sounds like 'onour', vowel sound, so its 'an' and the same with 'ex' - ray :)
  • Options
    I always think of "in a nurry" - if the word really were "nurry" that would be right, but as "hurry" it's still pronounced the same. You just fix it so it's always A and then a consonant sound.
  • Options
    Haha, I've never understood these rules... I've got a very strong Nottingham/London accent (Dads from Notts, Mums from London) and I speak in slag a lot! Never botherd paying attention to grammer.
    Xx
  • Options
    Language is by its very nature supposed to be easy to speak - usually what "sounds right," is.
  • Options
    SteelWool wrote: »
    Language is by its very nature supposed to be easy to speak - usually what "sounds right," is.

Well, that's not quite true otherwise languages wouldn't have grammar - and you wouldn't have words like 'floccinaucinihilipilification'. ;)
  • Options
    :lol: I'm not really referring to made-up or recently-imported words though, I mean the little basic parts of a sentence like a/an, me/I, even who/whom to a degree. If you've learned a reasonable amount of the language, much of spoken grammar is intuitive if you don't get bogged down in "rules." Writing gets tricky.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    like 'floccinaucinihilipilification'. ;)

Ohh I can say the other one as well.. the longest one.. It means lung cancer or something
    Xx
  • Options
    On the subject of rules, I get annoyed by things like, people insisting you always have to use "[noun] and I." It's simple enough to check a sentence - take away "[noun] and" and see if it sounds right.
  • Options
    Yes, it's 'AN x-ray'.

As has been said by someone (Lexi, i think?) it's 'an' before a silent consonant preceding a vowel, or a vowel sound.

So 'A HP printer', 'A herb' (UK only) and 'A hurry', as none of these have a silent h ;)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Yes, it's 'AN x-ray'.

As has been said by someone (Lexi, i think?) it's 'an' before a silent consonant preceding a vowel, or a vowel sound.

So 'A HP printer', 'A herb' (UK only) and 'A hurry', as none of these have a silent h ;)
    Well, the H in "HP" isn't a "huh" sound, it's an "aych" sound, but otherwise agreed. 8)
  • Options
    SteelWool wrote: »
    Well, the H in "HP" isn't a "huh" sound, it's an "aych" sound, but otherwise agreed. 8)

Well I'm northern and common, so it's a haitch sound to me ;)
  • Options
    Same kaff! Thats why I get confused...
    Xx
  • Options
    The grammar pedants among us will be happy to know I googled the HP issue, and in fact both 'a HP' and 'an HP' are correct.

When deciding whether to use an or a before an acronym, you can either verbalise the first letter of it, or the first word as it would be written out in full.

So we can all sleep soundly tonight :thumb:
  • Options
    Teacher: Is you mum in?
    Student: She ain't in.
    Teacher: Where's your grammar?
    Student: She ain't in either.

:-)
  • Options
    so who here says aitch and who says haitch then?

I use both.
  • Options
    so who here says aitch and who says haitch then?

I use both.

I think i use both too :S
  • Options
    Well I'm northern and common, so it's a haitch sound to me ;)
    'Kay, I only know the particulars of accents from around where I live. ;)

And like I said, if the pronunciation varies regionally then the a/an ought to vary as well. Otherwise it just sounds weird. :D
  • Options
    a lemon is spelt with an L
  • Options
    It absolutely is.
  • Options
    Yes, it's 'AN x-ray'.

So why is it 'an historian' then, Ms. Grammar Expert :p? Because even though that's got an 'i' after the h, you do actually say the h. Unless you're particularly common, but even you aren't that bad ;).