Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I've got myself into a bit of a mess

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is there any way you could look for another job or move to another office?
  • Options
    Thank you for the recent posts. You lot are actually really helping, so thank you very much!

Today hasn't been too bad at work. I've just got myself very focussed on my work.

I really love my job and the company I work for. It's quite a narrow industry, so I would struggle to find a job as good as the one I have. Most of my colleagues have worked at my company between 10 and 20 years so staff retention is excellent. I don't have any plans to move.

Do you think that if I could find closure in my head, and be very strong, we both could develop a friendship whereby we both know there will never be anything more than that between us?

I'm feeling particularly strong right now.
  • Options
    Er, no, I don't think that. You don't need to be friends with him, there are lots of other people to be friends with.

If you stay friends with him, you'll just keep hoping for more.
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    Er, no, I don't think that. You don't need to be friends with him, there are lots of other people to be friends with.

If you stay friends with him, you'll just keep hoping for more.

youve already screwed him over 8 times so why hold back now?:)
  • Options
    I do think that once a certain line has been crossed, it might be difficult to be friends.

But I think we both have respect for one another and each other's feelings. I feel he hasn't led me on else he would be trying to kiss me/sleep with me all of the time and he is not. In fact, he keeps saying he wants to do the "right thing".

I wonder whether, after time, we couldn't be friends? I'm unsure. Suppose it's just because I've had a positive day.
  • Options
    Jayne81 wrote: »
    Do you think that if I could find closure in my head, and be very strong, we both could develop a friendship whereby we both know there will never be anything more than that between us?

I'm feeling particularly strong right now.

You won't always be feeling strong, on a weak day he'll make a move on you and you won't be able to stop yourself.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    You won't always be feeling strong, on a weak day he'll make a move on you and you won't be able to stop yourself.

:yes:
  • Options
    what he really should do, is give you the cold shoulder and be nasty to you because it doesnt sound like youve really got the hint that he wants to stay faithful to his fiancée, even though he likes you.
    You need to totally back off.
    You cant change the fact that you fancy him, but you can change the way you act
  • Options
    I don't really feel like I'm acting in any way, and I have accepted his decision. I came on this messaging board for advice to help my mindset as it's very difficult to work in the same place. I also asked for advice as to what I could say to him before I back off. I feel like we have both been extremely adult with our situations, and you can't help your feelings sometimes.

I've been strong again today, and tried very hard to just concentrate on my work. I guess I just wanted support here!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    what he really should do, is give you the cold shoulder and be nasty to you because it doesnt sound like youve really got the hint that he wants to stay faithful to his fiancée, even though he likes you.
    You need to totally back off.
    You cant change the fact that you fancy him, but you can change the way you act

Woah harsh. :(

Jayne, great to hear you're being strong. Still stand by my point that I don't think you necessarily need a conversation with him though. If you focus your attention on other things then you're bound to feel better in the long run and there's probably other people at work that you don't talk to that often so perhaps you could treat him in that same way. :)
  • Options
    In a way, I agree with SCC. Thing is, is you don't WANT to back off, even though you know you should. Battle of heart vs head (and I know it, I know how you feel), so I think you need a harsh reality to kinda set it in your mind that it can't happen.
  • Options
    We started talking over a year ago, and I realised how alike we are. We seem to understand one another on so many levels. Over the past couple of months, things have been changing. We have increased the amount of talking, and have met up a few times after work. We really enjoy one another's company and have just talking about every day stuff generally.

I suppose it was about 3 weeks ago when I told him I fancy him. He told me he felt exactly the same, but he was going to do the right thing and not let anything happen between us because he is getting married. We did end up kissing that night, and afterwards he felt awful and really regretted it. We met up the next day and he said that he is "going to be good" but thinks we could have a fantastic friendship as he really cares for me. Nothing has happened between us since, just lots of talking and flirting.

I can't stop thinking about him. I really want to get to know him properly, and I feel like we could have such a great relationship. I can feel him watching me as I walk around the office, and whenever we are in a group situation, we spend the whole times making eyes at one another.

Unfortunately, I must agree with the others. Re-reading your original post above, I think the line has already been crossed. The problem is not so much the kiss, but the fact that you have been sharing your feelings for so long. You obviously really WANT each other, so unless one of you backs off completely, i.e. no heart to heart chats or explanations, this situation is just going to endure indefinitely. One of you really needs to be cruel to be kind.

Do you have any leave due? My advice would be to get yourself away from the work environment for a week or two. In fact, in view of the distress the situation appears to be causing, I might be inclined to take some sick leave on the grounds of "stress". No one need know the exact cause.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    In a way, I agree with SCC. Thing is, is you don't WANT to back off, even though you know you should. Battle of heart vs head (and I know it, I know how you feel), so I think you need a harsh reality to kinda set it in your mind that it can't happen.

In hindsight think I do actually agree too - I think it was just the idea of someone being 'nasty' that got me questioning... I think it's possible to be straight down the line with someone without being horrible. :chin:
  • Options
    i dont think i was being harsh.
    The guys off limits and hes been very kind and nice about how he likes you too, but is doing the right thing etc. What hes actually saying is he wants his fiancee, not you, but hes trying not to hurt your feelings.
    The problem is, being nice is just giving you false hope.
  • Options
    The guys off limits and hes been very kind and nice about how he likes you too, but is doing the right thing etc. What hes actually saying is he wants his fiancee, not you, but hes trying not to hurt your feelings.

Well that isn't the message I'm getting from Jayne's posts. As far as I can see, all this "I'm doing the right thing" and "I'm going to be good", is just lip service all the time he continues to make eyes and flirt with you. Those are not the actions of someone who is simply "trying not to hurt your feelings". If he intends to make a go of his marriage, HE should be the one cutting contact. He is sending mixed messages. On the one hand he is saying, "I shouldn't be doing this" while, on the other, he is leading you on. God help his fiancée!
  • Options
    Hello again,

Overthehill - thank you for understanding me, him and the situation!

I have just got back from work. He asked me to go for lunch with him today, which I did and we had a nice time, just talking about every day stuff and not flirting or anything. Then he asked me to go for a drink after work which I did, and again we just had a nice chat about normal stuff. When we left the pub, he told me he is thinking about me a bit too much, and he is starting to question his relationship. I told him I will back completely off as he needs to sort this himself without me and my feelings involved.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions, support, advice and ears. I will be back when I know what's happening in his head!
  • Options
    yeah it sounds like i did get the wrong end of the stick a bit sorry.
  • Options
    It's fine SCC. It's so difficult to try to get across feelings on here, and to read things with no tone or anything, that it's easy for people to read things differently.

That is actually what makes it good to get advice on message boards - as everyone who posts has a different angle to share!
  • Options
    Hi. I just found this thread and it sounds really similar to a situation I am in. I'm sat here on Valentine's Day on my own and wondering what I should do for the best. I dont want to hurt the other girl but we have something - an amazing connection and I know i could make him happier than he is now. Your post was from the beginning of January and I was wondering how things have progresses over the last two months - did you back off or did he choose you?
  • Options
    wow. all too familiar!!!

i can relate to how you feel but
    to be honest...there's nothing much that you
    can do that will leave YOU happy

hate it or not thats someone else's man
    and i bet you hate how that sounds
    (trust me i DO TOO!!!!)

its very sad b/c in this situation
    you feel like IF YOU GUYS COULD
    GIVE IT A TRY--GREAT THINGS WILL HAPPEN!!!!

(i feel like this guy is my SOUL mate!--how crazy is that???) :banghead:

O Lord, i feel you.

so would suggest:

to get him alone again and tell him exactly how you feel. all cards on the table....and let it play it out. see what he does and react then go ffrom there. i cant promise you that the outcome will be to your favor.

i hate how its ez for ppl to suggest to drop him and shit, but i knoe that thats the last thing you want!!!