Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What are your opinions on...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Lesbians being able to order sperm over the internet.
Personally I hate the idea, doesn't seem right, maybe its just me?
What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    what?! sounds odd
  • Options
    is it only lesbians who are allowed to do this?
    would you mind if it was straight people ordering it?
  • Options
    im not saying its wrong....i just think its weird. I take it their gona use it for concieving a child (or some strange lesbian practice but probably not) if a gay/lesbian couple have a child....wont it be weird for them....when they get to school and see everone with a mum and a dad. Also it would just be another thing kids would make fun of the kid for
  • Options
    They order it and what. They recieve it at home?

"Hi. You ordered a pint of Sperm Hut extra special spicy sperm?"

"Yeah"

"Where do you wannit?"

"Where do you think?"

If they want it let them have it...

If the question is if a homosexual couple can have children... obviously yes. It doesn't matter if you have two daddys or two mummys. What's important is the love they give the child.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    What's important is the love they give the child.

Fair enough, the kid may be loved but a bit of normality is needed as well? Children don't like feeling different.

I can't say it's something I agree with and I find it quite disgusting. I suspect I'm gonna get some abuse for saying it but I'm not gonna apologise for it.

I havn't got a problem with gay people on the whole but because I've never had any such thoughts myself, I find it very difficult to understand them. I'm not homophobic and I have quite a bit of respect for many who are, at times it must be quite difficult, but as far as I'm concerned gay couples having kids is wrong.

Apart form the fact that it just doesn't seem right it's unfair on the kid. Whether you like it or not, homosexuals are still looked down upon by many people in society, and until that changes is it really right for a gay couple to bring up a child that will most likely get bullied and teased? NO!!
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    There are a lot of thing that society doesn't like...

With that idea a inter-racial couple wuoldn't be able to have children (or not even be a couple)... no more examples, you see where I'm heading...

You have to change society not let it change you...
  • Options
    With that idea a inter-racial couple wuoldn't be able to have children (or not even be a couple)

There's a hell of a difference between having straight parents of mixed race, and having parents of the same sex.
    You have to change society not let it change you...

At what cost to the kid? You'd have to change society first.

It'd be a nightmare for the kid, I'm sorry but I wouldn't be selfish enough to put a kid through that. Being a parent means wanting the best for you child.. They may have all the best intentions but when it comes down to it it's still unfair.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ok so I need more examples...

A kid can be laughed at for having gay parents, for being half black and half white (or whatever), for being too fat, too slimm, for being a foreigner, for having a funny name, for having only one leg (or whatever), for not playing football well enough...

None of these children should go to school!
  • Options
    There may be many kids in a school that are overweight, can't play footie etc... but can you imagine what it would be like for a kid to be the only one with two daddy's?

Kids understand about being fat, being from another country, they know that some people are better at things like football and to a certain extent they can understand divorce.

Homosexuality is totally different because it invovles sex, which kids generally don't, and shouldn't learn about until they're old enough. A gay couple could explain to their kid from the start all about homosexuality, but that doesn't help the kid explain why he's got two daddy's to his or her friends. Can you really not see the problems it would cause.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'm with Skive on this one.
    Originally posted by xicoperez
    There are a lot of thing that society doesn't like...

With that idea a inter-racial couple wuoldn't be able to have children

The main difference is, inter-racial couples can have children, by laws of nature, if they want. Lesbian couples cannot.

I'm not homophoibic either, but also find it very hard to understand the basic mentallity.

This is going to sound like a very primative statement, but nevermind...

In real lesbian couples (not the stunning blonde ones on Channel 5 :p), there often tends to be a 'normal' looking woman, and one who looks butch, and basically, like a man. If the 'normal' woman wanted to go out with someone who looks like a man, why not actually go out wit one?

Same applies with homosexuals, guys dressing up in drag etc.
  • Options
    1. If sperm arrives by post is it still able to create a child?
    2. If lesbians can order it then anyone can and so what
    3. Perhaps if it's a bad idea there should be a law stopping people from selling it in the first place?
  • Options
    I couldn't give a toss, to be honest.

That said, if you want a child so badly, why not adopt?

Nice to see so many open minds here still. Children will get the piss taken out of them for a multitude of reasons, normally those they cannot affect themselves. I wore glasses and used to get abuse over that. Should my parents not bother to send me, should we stop children with poor eyesight being born?

No, of course not. Grow up guys. If your only objection to homosexuals having children is that they might be bullied then you really only have a weak pathetic argument and seem to be as much of the problem as anyone else.
  • Options
    Hurray for Man of Kent - perhaps that'll be the end of this silly topic now!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Grow up guys.

You tell me to grow up but this is me being honest, basically I just find the whole idea very wrong. It's not gonna change becasue you disagree and tell me to 'grow up'.

MoK you must see that wearing glasses or being fat... etc, is very different from having gay parents,
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Originally posted by Skive

You tell me to grow up but this is me being honest, basically I just find the whole idea very wrong. It's not gonna change becasue you disagree and tell me to 'grow up'.

MoK you must see that wearing glasses or being fat... etc, is very different from having gay parents,

How? They are both things that you can't [realistically] change. same as if you were mixed race etc.

And can I ask exactly how many lesbian couples you know? i must know at least 5 or 6 [that i can think of right now] and in 2 of those you have a semi butch thing with one, but with most of them you couldn't tell they were a couple. and you do talk a load of crap about gay men as well, only SOME gay men do the drag thing, just like some STRAIGHT men dress up as women - at the end of the day, what matters is the equipment that is there or not.....

in other words, grow up and actually speak what you fucking know rather than the stereotyped bullshit that you have been told.
  • Options
    Originally posted by nosferatu1000

How? They are both things that you can't [realistically] change. same as if you were mixed race etc.

As I said before kids can more easily understand about being fat and so forth but homusexuality is a different matter. You can explain to them from the start about sex and how some people prefer it with the opposite sex but would that be right? Teaching kids about sex until they're old enough is a bad idea IMO. Can you not see how confusing it would be for child.
    in other words, grow up and actually speak what you fucking know rather than the stereotyped bullshit that you have been told.

What i know? I am speaking honestly, these are my own thoughts and no one elses. You may be offened, but too be honest I don't give a shit. ;)
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    You don't need to teach kids about sex, you teach them about love, not hate and discrimination. Things will never change if everyone takes a defeatist attitude. Children are abused daily by their natural parents, are they better off there than with a loving gay couple?

Take racism- small children are NOT racist, they learn it. They also learn homophobia.
  • Options
    I think it's really dangerous NOT to teach children about sex - or at least try not to make it seem like something dirty or to be ashamed of!
    Some parents think its bad for their kids to see them in the nude - I mean how crazy is that!???

By teaching your kids that Homosexuality is something to be ashamed of you are making life difficult for them, particularly if they happen to have been born gay!

Some people are born with serious gender issues and it is a parents duty, surely, to let them feel able to express themselves openly!

I have a friend who's dad left her mum to have a relationship with another man. They are still together and my friend is still happy to see her father. She was young when it happened but neither her father nor her mother lied to her once the truth was out! She's fine, she wasn't bullied because at the end of the day he's her dad.
  • Options
    My opinions is on Lesbians being able to order sperm over the internet is that it wrong I don't blame the lesbian, non can you blame the male donors. Its these sick companies fault! What will there not do to make money?

I agree with MoK on adopt if the lesbian want kids so much

But I also think One of the Lesbians wants to carry the child and give birth to it, that seem the general idea of it.

Maybe the Lesbians want to take turn in who carries the child
    ;):D

Then its her own kid but then it also ask all strange question like who would the kid go with if the Lesbians split up?? and who side do the law take.

Its much more trouble then its worth in my view. Too many question and not enough answer. Damn the Government for not banning it when they had the chance!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    Take racism- small children are NOT racist, they learn it. They also learn homophobia.

Proof?
    Originally posted by Harmless
    Then its her own kid but then it also ask all strange question like who would the kid go with if the Lesbians split up?? and who side do the law take.

A child might have two female guardians, but it has at most one mother -- the creature that carried it to term. That (most probably, knowing as we do about the huge pheremonal effects between mother and child shortly after birth) is the 'parent' to which the child will have greatest attraction, and vice versa. I imagine that the law would (should? is this any of the law's business?) take this into account.
  • Options
    Why did I know people would only read the "Grow Up Guys" part?

I don't expect it to. But having an opinion doesn't mean that you are mature either. Its sad that you see someone's sexuality as the only barrier.

Actually its not sad, its just plain pathetic.

Only if you are an adult. Children don't automatically see such difference, they only see a difference and they use them as weapons. Its no difference for single parent familes, or those of mixed race.

So my next question is this: What if a "normal" family breaks up and the children goes to live with their mother and her lesbian lover...would you have that child taken into care? Surely they would face even more abuse, now that they also have the "divorce parents" stigma too...

Narrow minds are an adult thing.
  • Options
    What about the lack of suitable role models.

The bond a child has with their mother is without a doubt one of the strongest there is. That is why custody is usually given to the mother when parents seperate. Where is the mother in when both parents are both gay males.

Likewise where is the male role model when both parents are lesbians. A father is also very important, especially for boy's.

I'm not saying that there would be any difference in the amount of love a child would recieve but kids don't just only need love, they need to be guided as well. Surely a staright parent situation has much more to offer a child, and I think it would be dangerous and wrong to just 'presume' that gay parents wouldn't affect the child.

Byny, from what age do you think kids should be taught about sex? I agree that kids need to be taugh about both hetrosexuals and homosexuals in an unbiased way, but IMO teaching kids about sex too young would be a shame, sex robs them of their innocence.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

The bond a child has with their mother is without a doubt one of the strongest there is. That is why custody is usually given to the mother when parents seperate

No. There are many fathers who deserve to get custody of their kids, but don't because the system is just very unfair. But that's another story! :p
    Surely a staright parent situation has much more to offer a child, and I think it would be dangerous and wrong to just 'presume' that gay parents wouldn't affect the child.

Skive, I was just wondering what 'extras' would straight parents be able to offer a child, cos you say they have more to offer, I'm just curious to what they are.

I think it would be dangerous and wrong to just 'presume' that gay parents wouldn't affect the child.

Could you elaborate on this? Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult or anything, but I'm curious to know different peoples views on what 'effects' a gay couple raising a child would have on them?

:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by go_away
    Skive, I was just wondering what 'extras' would straight parents be able to offer a child, cos you say they have more to offer, I'm just curious to what they are./B]

I thought my last post explained what I meant. There's a good chance a child is gonna lack a role model if both parents are of the same sex.

Imagine the situation where you have a boy with a couple of lesbian parents. This kid is going to lack having the father figure that all his friends have. He's gonna miss out on all the things that fathers and sons do together, such as play football etc, and it works the other way too.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

The bond a child has with their mother is without a doubt one of the strongest there is. That is why custody is usually given to the mother when parents seperate. Where is the mother in when both parents are both gay males.

not neccesarily true. my brother has sole custody of my nephew. they are extremely close. much closer than my nephew is to his mother. A childs main caregiver doesnt have to be its mother, and the child will form its strongest attachments to whoever looks after it the most.
  • Options
    I thought my last post explained what I meant. There's a good chance a child is gonna lack a role model if both parents are of the same sex.

Imagine the situation where you have a boy with a couple of lesbian parents. This kid is going to lack having the father figure that all his friends have. He's gonna miss out on all the things that fathers and sons do together, such as play football etc, and it works the other way too.

Imagine a family where the father is absent through work, or a single parent family, or even a family where (al though he is there) the father has no active role in his children's lives...

Or you could apply those rules to a mother too...

What about if two gay men a male child or two women a femal child, does that mean that they would have the right role models?

And you still haven't really managed to explain why a straight family is better than a homosexual one, except to expose your own prejudice. But then it's easy to let prejudice get in the way, if you don't think your arguments through.
  • Options
    'Skive' made a point about a kids needs for normality, but it is this dependance on conformity and regulation that creates difficulties in the foirst place. If it were realised that we are all fundamentally different and that those differences should be celebrated and nurtured to create a tolerant and open society.

On the topic of phone-order spunk, however, i have to say that it is alright i suppose, but there are so many unloved children in orphanages around the world that couples, gay or straight, could caree for, surely there is no need to get pregnant in this manner. as long as there are so many aboned children, some living in the most awful conditions (believe me,i've been to romania and macedonia myself to work in orphanages), then we should take care or them before all this artificial insemination etc.
  • Options
    It shouldn't be allowed full stop. Nobody knows the effects of having 2 same sex parents on a child from birth, and if those effects are detrimental or not.
    Everybody complains about things like cloning and genetic engineering, but when something that is so plainly going against nature is discussed, but involves 2 homosexuals everyone suddenly goes very P.C and says it is ok.

I argue that having same sex parents, until it can be properly researched is ethically wrong. IF when it has been researched and it is found that there are no long term negative effects on the child it should be accepted, same as with cloning. Because at the end of the day it's exactly the same, but noone here wants to offend people so they're all taking the softly softly attitude.
  • Options
    In my experience, kids with same sex parents aren't affected by it. The only thing that troubles me is the fear of anyone else finding out because I know some complete tossers that would never leave me alone for it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nellyluva2
    In my experience

Which is...?
    Weekender Offender