Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What are your opinions on...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And there was silly old me thinking you knew... I myself am the child of a lesbian couple.
    Any further questions...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    It shouldn't be allowed full stop. Nobody knows the effects of having 2 same sex parents on a child from birth, and if those effects are detrimental or not.

Everybody complains about things like cloning and genetic engineering, but when something that is so plainly going against nature is discussed, but involves 2 homosexuals everyone suddenly goes very P.C and says it is ok.

I argue that having same sex parents, until it can be properly researched is ethically wrong. IF when it has been researched and it is found that there are no long term negative effects on the child it should be accepted, same as with cloning. Because at the end of the day it's exactly the same, but noone here wants to offend people so they're all taking the softly softly attitude.

Nice thinking, but if it isn't allowed to happen, how do you research it?

As for the difference between cloning ad single sex parents, how is single sex parents against nature? You still need male and female reproduction, the baby still needs a womb to evolve. The only change is that after birth there will be two parents of the same sex... There is nothing in nature which says that there must be one male and one female parent. that thought process you have outlined would also cover step parents, after all they aren't biological either...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nellyluva2
    And there was silly old me thinking you knew... I myself am the child of a lesbian couple.

I feel sorry for you....

I believe that is strictly wrong because it is nature's way that a male and female be the sole parents of a child, not single sex parents.

Nature may not have stated it, but it is clearly there. Science proves that a male is needed in a child's life just a female is to learn the basic necessities it needs to live on its own.
  • Options
    Originally posted by gi_janearng

I feel sorry for you....

Thanks but I wasn't asking for pity...
  • Options

I feel sorry for you....

I believe that is strictly wrong because it is nature's way that a male and female be the sole parents of a child, not single sex parents.

Nature may not have stated it, but it is clearly there. Science proves that a male is needed in a child's life just a female is to learn the basic necessities it needs to live on its own.

Many species seem to bring up their young very without the help of the male. And I don't think you can find anything in Nature that suggests humans need a male father figure for optimum upbringing.

As for you feeling sorry for someone being brought up by two lesbians, I'd feel much more sorry for a child being brought up by a married redneck religious fundamentalist couple; or by a marriage where the father is a wife-beating, abusive drunk; or in a marriage where both parents argue constantly and despise each other.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I couldn't give a toss, to be honest.

So you won't be donating then:D
  • Options

Nice thinking, but if it isn't allowed to happen, how do you research it?

As for the difference between cloning ad single sex parents, how is single sex parents against nature? You still need male and female reproduction, the baby still needs a womb to evolve. The only change is that after birth there will be two parents of the same sex... There is nothing in nature which says that there must be one male and one female parent. that thought process you have outlined would also cover step parents, after all they aren't biological either...

Maybe there is nothing in nature that says this, however for how long have children been raised by same sex parents?
    If opposite sex parents isn't the natural way of doing things then why do the majority of the world's population either have one parent or 2 of opposite sex?

Children were meant to be raised by 2 parents of different sex, it is the lasting effect of reproduction. The parents nurture the child to grow up and have its own children and raise them in the same way.
    Maybe to some this might seem like a homophobic attitude, trust me it isn't. However I have grown up believing that 2 parents, and possibly 1 are how things should be done, as have billions of other people.
    It's going to take a long time for any of you to convince me otherwise I'm afraid.

As for research, I suggest that the practice is stopped now, and children from previous lesbian/gay couples interviewed and their experiences looked into. Children like Nellyluva for instance, their experiences (truthful) would be invaluable in helping us to determine whether the practice should be allowed to continue.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere

Maybe there is nothing in nature that says this, however for how long have children been raised by same sex parents?
    If opposite sex parents isn't the natural way of doing things then why do the majority of the world's population either have one parent or 2 of opposite sex?

Children were meant to be raised by 2 parents of different sex, it is the lasting effect of reproduction. The parents nurture the child to grow up and have its own children and raise them in the same way.
    Maybe to some this might seem like a homophobic attitude, trust me it isn't. However I have grown up believing that 2 parents, and possibly 1 are how things should be done, as have billions of other people.
    It's going to take a long time for any of you to convince me otherwise I'm afraid.

As for research, I suggest that the practice is stopped now, and children from previous lesbian/gay couples interviewed and their experiences looked into. Children like Nellyluva for instance, their experiences (truthful) would be invaluable in helping us to determine whether the practice should be allowed to continue.

My God, for once you and I agree on something! :eek:
  • Options
    What you have grown up believing and what is actually natural can be two different things, of course.

It is society which dictates the male/female parenting role. Nature usually leaves this role to the female whilst the male is the gatherer, food supplier etc. Usually, children are brought up by a female "group" comprising mother, her sisters and her mother...

Personally, if I was asked a preference I would look for a male/female parenting role. I would also advocate adoption above IVF, in nearly all cases. What I won't do is rule out single sex parent, purely on the basis of sexual preference.
  • Options
    Nature is as nature does..

To think that we are somehow above the rules of nature and can act 'unnaturally' is a little arrogant to say the least.

Any human behaviour that exists, is natural. Anything that we have the potential to do, we were supposed to be able to do.

My own opinions are that this shouldnt be allowed if its going to be used to fertilize one of the lesbians....As the thread seems to have moved to gay couples again, i dont think they are very good as family units. Kids are much better off in a two parent, heterosexual environment.
  • Options
    All adults are responsible for all children!

And, while a 'normal' family setting has historically been found to be best I would have to say that any 'family' arrangement is to be preferred over an oprhanage or similar group home effort!
    :cool:
  • Options
    What you have grown up believing and what is actually natural can be two different things, of course.

It is society which dictates the male/female parenting role. Nature usually leaves this role to the female whilst the male is the gatherer, food supplier etc. Usually, children are brought up by a female "group" comprising mother, her sisters and her mother...

pretty much what I was going to say. The nuclear family is a relatively modern idea. It may be normal for us because thats how most of us were brought up, but there are all kinds of family units, and one particular kind of family unit does not neccesarily make for a more well rounded child. I think its important for a child to have many role models in its life of both genders.
    GIJane, would you feel sorry for someone who was brought up in a one parent family, or is it just homosexuals that you have a problem with?
  • Options
    I admit that I have a lot against homosexuals for many reasons.

If you are interested why, do a search on my name, cause I have had this discussion before.

I'm not willing to have it again, especially with someone whose moniker is that of a child that lives in a la la land with her little pony.
  • Options

I'm not willing to have it again, especially with someone whose moniker is that of a child that lives in a la la land with her little pony.

Pardon? :confused:

lol, I've exposed myself as the true freak I am. :o

But why, Balddog do you think that childre are better off raised in a two parent hetrosexual family? :confused:
  • Options

But why, Balddog do you think that childre are better off raised in a two parent hetrosexual family? :confused:

Because I feel that a man and a woman can raise a child better than two women can. There are things that a child needs to know that can only be provided by a man, just as there are some things that can only be provided by a woman.

There is also the bullying aspect which is important.

PS, I think gi_jane was talking about rainbow brite with the pony reference :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Balddog

PS, I think gi_jane was talking about rainbow brite with the pony reference :)

Yes, anyone who has seen that cartoon would know what I'm talking about.
  • Options

There is also the bullying aspect which is important.

I do understand what you are saying. Ever since I was about 11 I've been shit scared that people would find it out because I know I'd never live it down.
    But when you say there are things that a child needs to know that can only be provided by a man, I can't really argree, maybe because I'm a girl so I've been alright in that aspect.
    Anyway, all that never really bothered me, it was the AID that fucked me up. :o
  • Options

Yes, anyone who has seen that cartoon would know what I'm talking about.

Unfortunately, it seems as thought I have admitted doing just that...Oh the shame :o
  • Options

But when you say there are things that a child needs to know that can only be provided by a man, I can't really argree, maybe because I'm a girl so I've been alright in that aspect.

That would be the reason...Id also wonder how well lesbian parents could bring up their child with regard to boys. How do you teach your daughter about dating and everything if youve never done it yourself?..I think most lesbians have had experiences with men so thats less of a problem but im sure it could happen..

Annyway, all that never really bothered me, it was the AID that fucked me up. :o

AIDS? One of your mums has it? I guess that would put things in perspective. Sorry :(
  • Options

That would be the reason...Id also wonder how well lesbian parents could bring up their child with regard to boys. How do you teach your daughter about dating and everything if youve never done it yourself?..I think most lesbians have had experiences with men so thats less of a problem but im sure it could happen..

AIDS? One of your mums has it? I guess that would put things in perspective. Sorry :(

No, sorry. :o Didn't quite explain that one.
    Sorry bout that , I didn't mean AIDS, I meant AID, as in artificial insemination by donor, jeez, how embarassed am I??? :o:o
  • Options

No, sorry. :o Didn't quite explain that one.
    Sorry bout that , I didn't mean AIDS, I meant AID, as in artificial insemination by donor, jeez, how embarassed am I??? :o:o

ah gotcha....That was my fault :)

That sounds pretty weird as well...Have you looked for your biological father or are you even allowed to look?
  • Options

ah gotcha....That was my fault :)

That sounds pretty weird as well...Have you looked for your biological father or are you even allowed to look?

I haven't got a clue, I just thought I couldn't find anything out. I really don't know. :(
    It really does get to me, I feel more uneasy about it all, being mixed race, I can't really explain it, don't suppose you know anything....
    Sounds weird, thanks a lot! :p
  • Options
    I admit that I have a lot against homosexuals for many reasons.

If you are interested why, do a search on my name, cause I have had this discussion before.

ok i did a search and could only find that you were against homosexuals because of the bible.
    you obviously know more about `rainbow brite` the character, than I do, i just knew what she looked like, and me calling myself that was a play on my real name. funny you dont wish to discuss something with me because of it, considering ,most of us use pseudonyms rather than our real names on here.
  • Options
    I don't think it is wrong, as long as any child was brought up in a safe and loving environment. Surely the welfare of the child is the most inportant thing?
  • Options
    And, Miss Nellyluva2; I know that you have a great set of friends who would help you with anything!!!
    See? We all love you really........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Elizabeth_Bennet
    I don't think it is wrong, as long as any child was brought up in a safe and loving environment. Surely the welfare of the child is the most inportant thing?

I don't want you to think you have to say that y'know, but thanks for understanding! Love ya loads!!
    (What's 'inportant' all about?? Time for NAPS, methinks!) :p
  • Options
    I do not need NAPS young lady! Your friends are the best in the entire world (especially that one you have RE with.........)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Elizabeth_Bennet
    I do not need NAPS young lady! Your friends are the best in the entire world (especially that one you have RE with.........)

Who might that be...? :confused::p
  • Options
    I don't know, but whoever she is, she's gorgeous!!! ;)
  • Options
    only read page one and four so this is drifting a bit...but if you and your lesbian partner ordered sperm over the internet...who whould carry the baby? i mean which lesbian? cos if they wanted to have children together, the child would be of one woman and a stranger, which the other woman might feel strange about...?