Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Long Term Relationship Break-Up (Your Experience)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last week I ended a five year relationship. It wasn't a nasty break up in the slightest, we'd had a weekend away and everything was just as it usually was, except at the end of it we broke up, it was expected, we both knew it was going to happen. It was my decision, he just wasn't right for me long-term, and even though I was happy, it wasn't fair to stay in the relationship when we could both be finding someone more suitable. However, I really miss him and can't imagine right now that I am going to get over him, it sounds stupid I know, when it was me that ended it.

What I'm asking is, anyone that has experienced a long term relationship break up, how long did it take you to move on from it? I feel so alone right now and all I want is for him to be here to hold me and make everything alright again. I think it's harder due to the fact that I was happy with him and it didn't end horribly.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    Its hard to say, there was a certain point where I looked back and realised Id been over things a while, without realising it.

I think with these things, its not a case of black and white, theres grey in the middle, and some of that grey, you are over it, but without realising, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    It's just like an addiction. You could never imagine to live without the stuff when you are on it, but as soon as you give it some time and abide, you won't be able to feel how you used to. It goes past, but it's not like a flu were you can feel it getting better every day for a bit.
  • Options
    As the others have said really its not like you notice and difference over time just eventually you will look back and realise that you're fine without the other person and that you're actually happier for it.
    When i broke up with an ex after 3 years it took me about 3 weeks for it to even sink in....then probably about another month until i was over it enough to see other girls, it was kinda messy for me though as we kept meeting up occasionally and always ended up sleeping together which pretty much also always led to one of us getting hurt..we just lost contact in the end though and so didnt speak for ages, bumped into her about a month ago on a night out and it was really really surreal, didnt feel any emotion for her at all, it was just strange.
  • Options
    The thing to remember is that when you've been with someone that long, you're not just mourning the loss of your relationship (even if breaking up was what you wanted!) you're also leaving your whole lifestyle behind. Things will be different from now on, and different is scary. Even good different is scary! I 100% know how you feel.

This is all complicated more by the fact that you obviously still like your ex and care for him a lot. It probably seems like it would be easier if you were just with him again, and it undoubtedly would, but the easiest path is generally not the right one.

You just have to remember that you broke up for a reason, and keep reminding yourself that this will suck for a while, but it will be worth it in the end. Maybe try to avoid having contact with your ex for a while, too. It may just confuse you.
  • Options
    i know how you feel as i feel like im in exactly the same situation as you. its not a bitter breakup and we both still care about each other we just know its not going to work longterm, and we dont really have a future.

not to depress you but i personally have found it harder the longer its been! i thought it was meant to get easier. we split up 2 and a half months ago now and at first i was sort of relieved, and feeling positive but as times gone i find myself really missing him. i dont know whether its missing him though or just the comfort of having someone to talk to all the time and share your worries with, and cuddle up to at night. its just the idea of him i miss i think.

i think the one thing thats made it easier for me is having no contact...at first we tried to stay friends but it made it harder so we made the decision not to speak for a while. we've not spoke for about a month now and its been hard but i think it would have been harder carrying on talking all the time, it sort of makes it feel as if we're properly broke up if you see what i mean.
  • Options
    Definitely. That's what I miss. I feel so alone, I have no one that is there for me all the time and to just do nothing with. It's all the little things too. As well as the thought of him being with someone else, I try not to think about that though. He's said he doesn't want to talk for a while because it's too weird, which as you say isn't a bad thing but I can't get him off my mind. I suppose it has only been a week though. I do have someone to go to for cuddles etc though and if I ever need a chat, which is nice, but I don't want to become a burden!
  • Options
    Bless you :( I'm in the same situation too - just come out of a five year (off and on) relationship and although we still really get on and love each other both know it just wasn't working. It is really hard - I don't have any magic words unfortunately that will make it get easier, but I know that it does and it will because I've seen friends go through the same thing and come out of it OK. It will take time, and it will be hard I'm afraid. I've had to move in with somebody I don't really know as I was living with my boyfriend and I do find the nights on my own quite difficult and sometimes the sadness hits me at unexpected moments. You just need to look after yourself, lean on your friends, cry when you need to, drink wine and eat chocolate when you need to, and don't beat yourself up about feeling down. It's not a great time to break up with a long term partner (although there's no "good" time I suppose) because Christmas makes it harder, but try to keep yourself busy and remind yourself of the reasons why you felt it wasn't right. I'm just reiterating the good advice of all the others, I know - but keep your chin up, you (and I, and Firey) will get there :) Keep posting too, writing down how I feel often helps me feel better.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great replies everyone, they've really helped. I do keep reminding myself of why I did it, but it's hard when you're also seeing all the negative aspects of being single at the same time! I'm put off from relationships for a while I think, until I meet someone I REALLY REALLY like that is. Hopefully one day I will find 'the one' and then I will definitely know that I made the right decision :)
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    I do keep reminding myself of why I did it, but it's hard when you're also seeing all the negative aspects of being single at the same time!
    You're forgetting all the positive aspects! You can go out where ever and whenever without worrying about what the oh thinks and you can pull who you want :D.
    You probably want be too bothered about that just yet but being single makes nightclubs a whole lot more fun!
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    You're forgetting all the positive aspects! You can go out where ever and whenever without worrying about what the oh thinks and you can pull who you want :D.
    You probably want be too bothered about that just yet but being single makes nightclubs a whole lot more fun!

Yeah, I'm sure it will be fun eventually, however, as you say right now it's kind of the last thing on my mind. Well it's not, I am human after all, but it's a little too soon, I would feel like I was cheating on him even though I'm not with him now, which is strange. Plus I feel it would be a little harsh to be with someone so long and be with another man so soon after. I just hope he hasn't gone out and pulled someone just yet also ...
  • Options
    i know this probably sounds sad but i made a list of things that i didnt like about the relationship and all the reasons we broke up and i put it in the drawer next to my bed, if i ever feel reeeeally sad and like ringing/texting him i get it out and read it and convince myself its for the best that we broke up! most of the time it works but it still sucks, im just hoping it does get better :) i mean dont get me wrong it is a lot better than when we first broke up, but...i dont know.

i think one of the hardest things is going from knowing everything about somebodys lives, like where they are, what they're doing, little things about their day etc and then you know nothing! its weird to share somebodies life so much and then go to not talking to them at all.

also there are SOME positive points to being single. obviously its too soon yet but you know that feeling you get when you like someone and they like you too...its so exciting and makes your stomach feel full of butterflies! i havent experienced it fully yet but i have a teeny bit. and its quite exciting.x
  • Options
    icey wrote: »

Oh it really does ;) :yes:

I split up with my bf of three years about a month a go and am loving the single life! We ended on really good terms and it was a mutual thing and we are friends still and I know sometimes it's hard not having that person there but it does get better. The worse part is if they meet someone else...thats hard :(
  • Options
    i know this probably sounds sad but i made a list of things that i didnt like about the relationship and all the reasons we broke up and i put it in the drawer next to my bed, if i ever feel reeeeally sad and like ringing/texting him i get it out and read it and convince myself its for the best that we broke up! most of the time it works but it still sucks, im just hoping it does get better :) i mean dont get me wrong it is a lot better than when we first broke up, but...i dont know.

i think one of the hardest things is going from knowing everything about somebodys lives, like where they are, what they're doing, little things about their day etc and then you know nothing! its weird to share somebodies life so much and then go to not talking to them at all.

also there are SOME positive points to being single. obviously its too soon yet but you know that feeling you get when you like someone and they like you too...its so exciting and makes your stomach feel full of butterflies! i havent experienced it fully yet but i have a teeny bit. and its quite exciting.x

Nah, I think that's a good idea, the list thing, I might do that :)

Definitely agree about the last part, I do miss that. I do have a friend who has been through this kinda thing before so he is great to chat to when I'm feeling down and gives me lots of cuddles which helps etc and makes me not feel entirely on my own, but it's still not the same but better than nothing I suppose.
  • Options
    Haha well i finished with my boyfriend a while ago, and how i got over it? We got back together lol
    It's just one of those things. I know we won't be together for ever because we want such different things and i know i'll be in your position soon enough :( x

Why put yourself through all the pain again then? Surely the longer you're together the harder it will be when you come to breaking up. If you know you're not meant to be then why not be out there looking for the person that is meant to be? :)
  • Options
    just thought id put this here instead of a new thead - what do you do when your recent ex starts seeing someone new? :crying: how do you handle it?

im really upset over it because we've had this conversation about how none of us can even imagine being with anybody else for a while, its too painful etc. we split up at the end of september. then i heard off a couple of my friends (we have the same big circle of friends so i was bound to hear sooner or later) that hes been kissing this girl and been on a few dates with her etc. so obviously hes not that bothered!

what makes it worse is that recently (before i found out about the girl) iv been thinking maybe we should just try again and give it a another go, and now that i know its even worse. i texted him (about something unrelated) and he told me in the text that he'd been seeing somebody and that hes moved on, he still really cares about me but hes let go. i dont know what to do :( i wish i could just forget about everything and be positive again but all i can think of is him with her and i keep remembering all of the good times we had together. arghhh how to become a rational person again?!
  • Options
    it just takes a long time :( it really really sucks when your ex is seeing someone new... the only thing you can do to try and preserve your sanity is to try to put your ex out of your mind. You need to refocus your life on yourself and see what else is going on around you other than your ex.

It's not as easy as that, I know, but that's the aim I guess... that you get through a day or two without even thinking about your ex, and just enjoying life with your friends, and doing things you want to do.

*hugs*
  • Options
    Oh no :( I'm so sorry hun - having gone through the same thing recently that is the one thing I know would really, really hurt and upset me so I totally understand how you feel. You just have to try to look at it from an objective point of view if you can and look at it as a clear sign that he is not the right guy for you and your break up was the right decision for you both. At least you hadn't said anything to him about giving it another try; it would be worse if you had. There is no magical way of forgetting it all and stopping feeling the way you do, but you WILL get over it, it will just take some time. All the old usual cliches apply here I'm afraid: see your mates, keep busy, look after yourself, have a cry if you feel like it. Although it may not seem like it right now, this is a positive thing to have happened, because it has provided you with closure on the relationship and as I said it is a positive indicator that you did the right thing in the first place by ending the relationship. You seem like a really lovely person and the fact he's found someone else is no reflection on you - you just weren't right for each other and you're now free to properly move on and start getting ready for the person who is right for you. Try to focus on that instead - you (we) will be OK :) xx
  • Options
    Well that's not what I was trying to convey at all! My break up has been surprisingly amicable - we are still good friends and I think we'll manage to maintain that for a good long while yet. What I was trying to say is that while it hurts now - and I think all break ups hurt, no matter how amicable - it will get better, and quicker than you think.
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Oh no :( I'm so sorry hun - having gone through the same thing recently that is the one thing I know would really, really hurt and upset me so I totally understand how you feel. You just have to try to look at it from an objective point of view if you can and look at it as a clear sign that he is not the right guy for you and your break up was the right decision for you both.

aw thank you that post was so lovely and cheered me up a little :) the thing is...im trying to look at it like that, the fact that hes moved on so quickly meaning that hes not the person for me but a mutual friend of ours reckons hes just on the rebound. so what if theres still a chance for us? i'll just never know!

the real test will be tonight, im going out and i know he'll be there too as we go to all the same places, usually its not a problem we say hi, little chat etc thats it but im thinking he'll be with that girl tonight...the thought of it makes me feel sick but iv made sure i look bloody good (in a totally non bigheaded way haha) and i'll just try and be strong. arghhh.x
  • Options
    After reading this, i think id rather commit suicide than go through a break up like those.

Quite a depressive thought.
  • Options
    To those going through shitty breakups - just remember that you were fine before they came along, and you will be just as, if not more fine after they've gone! You dont need another person to make you feel happy, it's all in your mind
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    After reading this, i think id rather commit suicide than go through a break up like those.

Possibly the most emo thing I've ever read in my life. :razz:

No, but seriously Jordan - sometimes the emotions people experience during break-ups are some of the most intense they'll ever feel. However, that's not saying for one second that you can't feel stronger, happier and find something just as, if not more rewarding in another relationship.

People who come out the other side of serious relationship break-ups having learned from them, having let go of any bitterness and having a real sense of themselves are often strong, loving and interesting people.

Anyone in this thread who has found the strength to leave something that wasn't right for you - I salut you. Sometimes people do find their way back to an old flame and for the better after a chance to re-evaluate - but this is a rare thing.

Fireyfirenze, that might be you one day - but for now it sounds like the waters are way too muddy. While getting on with some new interesting things, take some time to really think about what YOU want in your life and whether or not this guy is really that. If he is, then letting things just be for a good few months at least will show whether there's a chance. Take this new girl out of the equation - sure it hurts, but to be honest she's nothing to do with you or this fella at such an early stage and worrying about that is just an unhealthy distraction from the real issues.

*big hugs* all round.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Possibly the most emo thing I've ever read in my life. :razz:

:lol: Too right!
  • Options
  • Options
    break up

feel for you guys too, we've have just bitterly ended a three year relationship today...as a few people have mentioned in this thread they either felt they should of done it a good while ago or that both knew it was over. As much as I loved him there was just no way we could of spent the rest of our lives together..we'd argue alot! Over stupid things. He was depressed and very very negative person..and thats hard to live with sometimes especially when they refuse any help!
    It sounds awful but it feels like a little relief to be single again...you miss them but you know all the problems you had are now over...see it as a clean slate. And like someone said before you cant wait for the tingling feeling to come back when you meet someone new!
    As for imagianing him with someone else just try to block it out...if he;s already with someone else you may feel a bout of jealousy now..but just wait till you find someone else and he's the one feeling it.
    Enjoy single life while you can!
  • Options
    My 'ex' now wants to meet up for sex. Would any of you consider it?
  • Options

risky.. if there is still feelings either side?
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    risky.. if there is still feelings either side?

That's my argument. I know he still loves me, he admitted this the other night, but says that he'd be able to put them aside for sex. I'm not sure how easy I would find it to walk away from him afterward either.

He only wants it because he's not getting it after being able to for the past five years when we wanted. And if I wasn't getting it now, I would probably jump at the chance, but because I am, I'm not that bothered whether we do or not.
  • Options

No!!!
  • Options

No, too painful! Too many memories! Best to make a clean break.