Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What has happened to your local Woolies?

Another nostalgia thread time :-) It's now a year ago when branches ended trade in Dec 08 and Jan 09. What has happened to your local spot?

Mine in Stafford stayed empty for about half a year. In the summer, we had some new guys in called Sports Direct, but that's now closing down too lol.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's now a poundland
  • Options
    We just got a Clas Ohlson, ikea style homestore..it's pretty good :thumb:
  • Options
    ClickToSeeMore and Nikki* - you're both Stafford people. If you read this, what do you think our ex-Woolies/Sports Direct should become? It's a pretty big place innit. I reckon that the place ought to extend by a few floors, perhaps a basement too and make it into a Debehams. Stafford lacks a decent department store. Fact - we were going to have a Debs in Stafford in 2003 but it was deemed too small and it became New Look instead.
  • Options
    ours became a "Timmy worth it" everyone loves the name. It sells pretty much everythin woolies did, but is actually more expensive... Timmy not so worth it maybe.
  • Options
    Of the two I know of, one became a Waitrose and the other is still empty.
  • Options
    Still empty.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Iceland, Iceland and Iceland. Ha.
  • Options
    We got a Greggs and A TKMaxx where the 2 woolies used to be
  • Options
    Ours is home bargans or something like that. Its basically woolies
  • Options
    its empty still, but heard last week theyre putting an H&M there :yippe:
  • Options
    Braintree is an Iceland, Canterbury is still sitting empty.
  • Options
    Becoming an iceland. Cool.
  • Options
    Tesco and poundland!
  • Options
    One in Colchester is still empty i think and there never was one in Cambridge because its not posh or expensive enough
  • Options
    ours is still empty. it was quite a fair sized one with two floors so maybe they cant get anybody to fill it or something. it looks lonely with nothing in the windows.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    The ones I've seen have become "99p Stores" =\
  • Options
    What a nice, pleasant topic, Monserrat. :)

In Exeter, it's been standing empty for ages but perhaps now it's the Christmas season, they have a temporary let. I'm not really sure because I haven't been into the city centre in ages. Our Woolies was in a small centre and not right on the High Street so perhaps during this time of recession, it hasn't been too attractive a site.
  • Options
    mines is still empty, although i did see people in there recently so maybe its about to become something, probably a poundland lol
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    What a nice, pleasant topic, Monserrat. :)

In Exeter, it's been standing empty for ages but perhaps now it's the Christmas season, they have a temporary let.

Aww thanks Teagen :-) Talking of Christmas lets... there is a small deceased shop in Stafford which is currently open as a Santa's Grotto for the young 'uns. But yeah, judging by a lot of the replies here, Woolies seems to be hard to replace.
  • Options
    Tescos
  • Options
    One's a poundland, one's a WH Smith, part of one's gonna be turned into a WH Smith with the other part prob rented to businesses, one might be turned into student accommodation.
  • Options
    outs is a B & M now x
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »

Mine in Stafford stayed empty for about half a year. In the summer, we had some new guys in called Sports Direct, but that's now closing down too lol.

Our local woolies is now a WH Smith. A pretty decent swap tbh.

We have a massive Sports Direct in Brighton...I think they're 'closing down' too. But that building has always been sports shops for as long as I remember, they claim to be closing down for a couple of years with everything on sale.
  • Options
    Yeah Pill'ed - you had a good swap there, although Stafford has already got a WHS. Having said that, our town's main post office has moved in to co-habit with WHS a couple of years ago. That it makes WHS a smaller shop due to some space being occupied by the PO. The irony is that the PO's former building had remained empty since.
  • Options
    Mine stayed empty for about half a year. In the summer, we had some new guys in called Sports Direct, but that's now closing down too... ;)
  • Options
    One half is Heron (food shop) and the other half hasn't been taken yet.
  • Options
    Mine stayed empty for about half a year. In the summer, we had some new guys in called Sports Direct, but that's now closing down too... ;)
    Monserrat wrote:

Almost word-to-word! I'll let you off as we live both in the same town :-P
  • Options
    The Woolworths in Ayr changed premises not long before the company collapsed, so we both the original, and the "new" Woolworths are both empty. And MFI, Shoefare, Original Shoe company and Zavvi are all still empty.
  • Options
    ours is still empty. it was quite a fair sized one with two floors so maybe they cant get anybody to fill it or something. it looks lonely with nothing in the windows.

Damn that's a shame, especially given the size of it and how imposing it was on the street. Had my first job interview there...
  • Options
    the one in brum is still empty and sad-looking.