Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dear, fatty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I suppose it's time to admit I may have a small problem... But just a little one.

Now me and food have never really had a good relationship. I've always either refused to eat or eaten loads.
But recently I have been talking to friends and they are adimant that I'm not fat. I can't help thinking that's what they think they should be saying.

It's not that I'm saying I'm fat to get the "ohh you're not" reaction. I really genuenly think I am.

I find myself slowly eating less, I now no longer take money to school so I can't buy lunch. At tea I find my self strugling to eat the food and really want to go sick it up. And if someone asks me if I have eaten I say yeah even though I haven't.

I'm quite hungry at the minute but if I go into the kitchen and look for food I can't bring myself to eat it.

I have a bit of a problem don't I? ... Shit

I have no idea what to do!

Comments

• Options
    *HUGS* maybe councilling about the issue will help? talk it over?
  • Options
    Hi nuan,

Admitting you have a problem is the first and biggest step. It's great that you have been able to come here and be so honest with yourself.

As you have said - you and food have never had a healthy relationship and it seems like you have recently been misleading people when they ask if you have eaten and also eating less. It's really positive that you have recognised these changes and have seen them as a problem. It is not a case of if you are overweight or not, it is about how you see yourself, and as you have said, you see yourself as fat. Your friends and family's words cannot change this perception you have, it has to come from you.

You may want to check out some of the information we have on eating disorders on Thesite - some of this may help you? There is a link to the 'Beat' website - which has a really useful helpline.

You could also try talking to your Doctor about how you feel towards food at the moment, how would you feel about doing this?

Please keep posting, take care - :)
  • Options

But recently I have been talking to friends and they are adimant that I'm not fat. I can't help thinking that's what they think they should be saying.

It's not that I'm saying I'm fat to get the "ohh you're not" reaction. I really genuenly think I am.

I have no idea what to do!

Hi there! I don't know what weight or height you are? If your friends tell you, you're not fat, then you're NOT! I know how you feel about the " eating nothing or eating loads". I can be a bit like that too, but I've learned that starving isn't the answer. I know you are young, but not eating well can take it's toll on the body. The one thing that it can affect is fertility. Lets just say I've been pregnant twice & still have no baby! Before we try again, I have to improve my eating.

If you are within your weight range, then you are lucky, because it means you are healthy. Please look after that:)
  • Options
    Thanks for the links.
    You could also try talking to your Doctor about how you feel towards food at the moment, how would you feel about doing this?

Hmm...I don't know. It's like i don't think i need to go to my Gp because i look like i don't have a problem with food. Even though today i have no breakfast or lunch, and had hardly any tea and i feel proud of that. And i know that sounds stupid but i dunno it's complicated.

I was kind of talking about a friend about it today, as she knows some one else who has a problem with food. But as soon as she said the words eating diorder i was like nooo! mine isn't that far! but in my head i know i have probably got one / developing one. But at the same time i can't really admit it, or change it because then i'm admitting it. If that makes sence?

:/
  • Options
    I think it would be good to talk this over with a councillor whilst you have the insight to think 'hmm... i might be developing a problem with food' rather than further down the line where you may go into denial? *hugs* again :)
  • Options

Even though today i have no breakfast or lunch, and had hardly any tea and i feel proud of that.

:/

This isn't good. You won't be able to function properly for very long without eating! I really think you need to visit your GP & have a chat about your issues & try to get to the root of why you feel like this. Do look after yourself.
  • Options
    skakitty wrote: »
    I think it would be good to talk this over with a councillor whilst you have the insight to think 'hmm... i might be developing a problem with food' rather than further down the line where you may go into denial? *hugs* again :)

mmm may be a good idea :|
    I shouted at you the other day because of your wee comment and honestly we don't say because we should say it, we say it because it's the truth. You are NOT fat.
    Honestly, you just need to get that image out of your head that you are because everybody has got things they hate about themselves but can't change them. Believe me i have my fair share!
    You have just got to keep an eye out for yourself. You can't not eat for long periods of time because it's really not good for you.
    Try drinking more water because you'll end up getting really dehydrated (spelling?) and it also might help with your headaches.
    Don't let me worry about you anymore than i already do! lol
    Just wanna make sure your ok... x

I know you guys say i'm not, but today someone said that i was and they will have to roll me everywhere because i'm so fat. Now i know it was a joke and i was suposed to take it as a joke but i couldn't and it made me feel so rubbish!
    I just had tea and i really feel like going and bringing it back up.
    I don't think this is something i can just change and be fine the next day.

water makes your hips bigger! :p

You dont need to worry about me lol
  • Options
    mmm may be a good idea :|

I know you guys say i'm not, but today someone said that i was and they will have to roll me everywhere because i'm so fat. Now i know it was a joke and i was suposed to take it as a joke but i couldn't and it made me feel so rubbish!
    I just had tea and i really feel like going and bringing it back up.
    I don't think this is something i can just change and be fine the next day.

water makes your hips bigger! :p

You dont need to worry about me lol
    Ignore that idiot.
  • Options
    :yes: what lea said.

Naun - maybe instead of having big meals far apart from each other, work on having several small meals throughout the day. Then you won't feel like you're eating LOADS and if you miss one it won't be so bad. Start by working at it in steps. Small meals at first, then getting bigger until you feel able to eat normally again.

Also, from your pictures I assure you that you are NOT FAT. You're GORGEOUS.
  • Options
    It's like i don't think i need to go to my Gp because i look like i don't have a problem with food...

...I was kind of talking about a friend about it today, as she knows some one else who has a problem with food. But as soon as she said the words eating diorder i was like nooo! mine isn't that far! but in my head i know i have probably got one / developing one.

There are degrees of problems. Like there are degrees of illness. Some people break their leg, but it doesn't mean they don't need or deserve help just because some people don't have legs at all.

You need to think about getting help NOW, even if you think you don't need it, so you don't ever get to the stage where you can't be helped. Eating disorders ruin lives and they kill people, and if you have any chance of avoiding that, you should take it and run.

I know getting better's not easy, and it definitely won't happen overnight, but it WILL happen. You just have to want it to.
  • Options
    please get help before it gets any worse
    im stuck ina world were i cant get rid of food im constantly thinkn about food and being sick after every meal and i only eat soup

and i hate it im too embarrased to go the doctors but you seem to be a strong good person

take care
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

Also, from your pictures I assure you that you are NOT FAT. You're GORGEOUS.
    Thank you!
    Glad i'm not the only one who thinks so! x

:blush::lol:
    Ignore that idiot

:thumb:

I'll try the eating small meals, but i'm slightly worried i wont be able to. But if one more person asks why i'm not eating at luch i may force feed myself lol...
    I'm a bit worried that i will start to sick up food, i mean the urge to do it was a bit scary but i managed not too.
    I have also got into the habbit of weighing myself and writing if i have had meals and how long i have went without food. It seems to feel like I'm more in control if i do. :(
  • Options
    Well that's what it comes down to isn't it? control?
    Maybe you feel like in other areas of your life you lack control, but food is one thing you can control.
    I would still recommend talking to someone?
    also, when I don't feel up to eating much, i find saltine crackers good :)
  • Options
    Yeah, i suppose i feel lack some control in other areas. It's like i havent SH-ed in like 9 months (if i dont include the other week - which i'm not :p) but i feel like i'm not quite incontrol of stopping for good, but when i don;t eat even though technically it is a form of SH i feel like i'm in control in that area in my life. It was always not eat or SH when i got really stressed and becuase i have stopped one the other seems to have completely taken over with out me really noticing. and then added with my insicurities its just continued in a cycle.

if i feel rubbish i will not eat and if i can exercise so then i feel completely drained, and by this point i don't want to eat anyway. And it goes around like that. :/
  • Options
    Water makes your hips bigger....thats a load of crap! It's proven that water flushes out toxins & is essential to survive. Where is education going these days! My "thinnest" friend is 5 foot 5 inches & 8 & a half stone & she drinks bucket loads of water every day, & has no womanly hips at all! Thank you & good night.
  • Options
    No need.

I thinkthe :p showed that I wasn't really concerened about that

Don't patronise me about it.
  • Options
    No need.

I thinkthe :p showed that I wasn't really concerened about that

Don't patronise me about it.

HMM, I don't think you have a serious problem with food if you are being flippant about things.:confused:
  • Options
    I wasn concerned as I know it doesn't. I have had this conversation with friends before about water weight and stuff and I know I can burn it off. Considering I'm eating one meal aday and exercising.

Fine you don't think I have a probelm. Maybe I should just get worse and then maybe I can get help seen as I'm too flippant. Even though you do not to ow me at all and have no idea what I'm like. I joke a lot it helps. So what?

:(
  • Options
    NavyBlue wrote: »
    HMM, I don't think you have a serious problem with food if you are being flippant about things.:confused:
    One flippant comment =/= her entire attitude.

Comments like this are the reason people don't get help ffs.

NAUN - even if it's just an apple and a cereal bar for lunch, eating SOMETHING will kick start your metabolism and actually eating small meals would stop you gaining weight when you start eating regularly again. Hope you're ok and please ignore the quoted comment :heart:
  • Options
    Thank you franki. :)

I know I shouldn't let that comment get to me but it really did. But I guess it's me I have to prove myself to, not others.
  • Options
    Sometimes a person being flippant can be their way of dealing with something or them not understand how big the problem is. I think it's pretty dangerous saying someone doesn't have a problem when they themselves have trouble recognising that they have one.
  • Options
    See now i'm confused! if i dont even sound like i have a problem then maybe i don't. arrhhggg
  • Options
    See now i'm confused! if i dont even sound like i have a problem then maybe i don't. arrhhggg
    And this is exactly why posts like that are so dangerous.

You do have a problem. Maybe it's not as bad as it could be......YET. Admitting you have a problem with food is the first step and taking a step back could make it a million times worse and nobody here wants to see that happen.
  • Options
    i think admitting you have a problem at this stage is better tbh, at least it hasn't progressed to such a terrible place yet, and although it'll still be difficult to get better, its probably a bit easier to get better from this point before it spirals too far

And NavyBlue, a lot of people make jokes about serious issues to avoid confronting the real issue they have! I think NAUN does need help and has made a huge step admitting she needs help and doesn't need you coming in and making her think "Oh well maybe my problem isn't serious enough to warrant seeking treatment."
  • Options
    It's like you fall over and scrape your knee..you put a plaster and germolene on the scrape, you don't wait until it gets infected, before going into hospital on antibiotics etc. Nobody's gonna judge you for having a problem less severe than other people.

And NavyBlue, Jesus Christ, that's the most USELESS thing you could say.
  • Options
    I notice that you said you might consider seeing a counsellor to get some support naun...anymore thoughts on that?

It seems to me that you started this thread to get some help with your concerns around your eating patterns and fear of food and somewhere that's got lost. Where are you up to today with that? Any clearer as to what you might need to do next? Have you had a chance to look at the B-eat site recommended?

Take care and let us know how you are. :)
  • Options
    I don't even know what i think anymore, had a bit of a crap day tbh...

which involved a friend getting pissed with me cause i didn't want luch. which made me feel worse. I had a free lunch today and everything - as i was on duty. And i still couldn't bloody go get food.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    One flippant comment =/= her entire attitude.

Comments like this are the reason people don't get help ffs.

NAUN - even if it's just an apple and a cereal bar for lunch, eating SOMETHING will kick start your metabolism and actually eating small meals would stop you gaining weight when you start eating regularly again. Hope you're ok and please ignore the quoted comment :heart:

well we're all entitled to our opinions & I feel that a serious issue like having a major problem with food, usually isn't dotted with light-hearted comments. I was 17 once too & sometimes alot of this is attention-seeking, plain & simple. We actually have no idea what weight she is, so we don't know if she is underweight or not. A major problem IS nothing to joke about. I've had a thread on here about my 2 miscarriages & never once have I made light of it, but that's just me! :chin:
  • Options
    OK it seems like I've upset alot of people on this thread, & i'm sorry if I've offended anybody - ok. I've had a hard time myself with the miscarriages & I suppose I feel thats it's worrying when you see younger people struggling & I hope she will be happy in life.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    And NavyBlue, Jesus Christ, that's the most USELESS thing you could say.

With all due respect, I've had 20 more years experience on this earth that you have & I know what I'm talking about;)