Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

HPV vaccine/Veganism

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kay, sorry. It just doesn't seem normal to me that a lot of people in my family have had cancer, that's all.
    X

has it just been cervical cancer?

There are two types of genetic changes or mutations:

those that are passed down from generation to generation (germline mutations)
    those that happen during the lifetime of a person and are not passed on to the next generation (somatic mutations).

somatic gene changes, only happens later on in life. Scientists are not sure what causes these genetic changes, but factors such as radiation or the exposure to dangerous chemicals (for example, through smoking) can play a part.
  • Options
    Since you are more at risk than many people your age, it is definitely more worthwhile for you to have the vaccine. It doesn't seem like you have all the info, so it might be worth having a chat with your GP about your options before refusing to have it.

We have to decide by tuesday.

We got a letter and a booklet about it, which I have read. And that tells you pretty much everything- but it's all written as a pro, and they don't give any cons. Apart from that there may be possible side affects.
    X
  • Options
    But as I vegan, I wont use eggs in cooking, or anything else...
    X
  • Options
    umm...if they do it how i think they do it then i think they use cell culture...which is not just using the egg but yeah.
  • Options
    umm...if they do it how i think they do it then i think they use cell culture...which is not just using the egg but yeah.

:yes: Animal testing and all aswell, I've written to the vegan socitey about it all. They emailed me this morning, I posted it some where.
    X
  • Options
    Yeah but you're not eating the vaccine through choice. You not eating eggs and you getting a jag which could save your life are very different things.
    x

But I wont have animal produce in or on my body.
    X
  • Options
    As a little devils advocate... say you end up getting cancer, or any infection or disease or sickness at all for that matter, are you opposed to treatment due to animal testing? I can't imagine there are that many medications and treatments that havn't been tested on animals... though honestly I do not know.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    As a little devils advocate... say you end up getting cancer, or any infection or disease or sickness at all for that matter, are you opposed to treatment due to animal testing? I can't imagine there are that many medications and treatments that havn't been tested on animals... though honestly I do not know.

:yes: As I have said before, if I got cancer I would wish to just die. And wouldn't take medicane. In fact, I'd probaly kill myself before I did die of cancer because it's a horrible illness to have.
    But no, I wouldn't take the medicane
    X
  • Options
    :yes: Animal testing and all aswell, I've written to the vegan socitey about it all. They emailed me this morning, I posted it some where.
    X

is animal testing involved? i thought the whole point of cell culture is to use less 'animal' because they would have to kill one cow and take the foetus and use that to get the right growth factors to grow the cells. And then do cell lines frim that so they can grow as much as they need although i suppose mammalian cells can only differentiate so many times...or i'm i on the totally wrong path? lol
    (one thing that does annoy me is the whole animal rights people that say use cell culture as it doesn't involve animal...when it clearly does - but thats a different thread)
  • Options

That one is my fault i think, i didn't research it, and said it was because i know thats the case for most vaccines, so i just assumed but might not be the case for this one
  • Options
    is animal testing involved? i thought the whole point of cell culture is to use less 'animal' because they would have to kill one cow and take the foetus and use that to get the right growth factors to grow the cells. And then do cell lines frim that so they can grow as much as they need although i suppose mammalian cells can only differentiate so many times...or i'm i on the totally wrong path? lol
    (one thing that does annoy me is the whole animal rights people that say use cell culture as it doesn't involve animal...when it clearly does - but thats a different thread)
    Yes, I belive they do test the ingretiants (can't spell!) on animals. But not neccerseraly the vaccine.

EDIT: In many countries it is a legal requirement that all drugs and vaccines (not just for HIV) are tested on animals to ensure safety. In the United Kingdom for example, the Medicines Act of 1968 1 states that all new pharmaceutical products must be tested on at least two different species of live mammal, one of which must be a large non-rodent
    http://www.avert.org/hiv-animal-testing.htm#
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_culture <--- cell culture.
    X
  • Options
    So you don't use paracetamol... or any medication at all?

I was interested so I found http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm143534.htm (sorry I don't know the UK guidelines) but it appears that for any medication to be approved by the FDA it first must pass the preclinical tests which are done on animals.

Investigational New Drug Application (IND)--The pharmaceutical industry sometimes provides advice to the FDA prior to submission of an IND. Sponsors--companies, research institutions, and other organizations that take responsibility for developing a drug--must show the FDA results of preclinical testing they've done in laboratory animals and what they propose to do for human testing. At this stage, the FDA decides whether it is reasonably safe for the company to move forward with testing the drug in humans.
  • Options
    No, I don't take medicane. I'm supposed to be on some for depression but said no for that reason.
    X
  • Options
    :yes: As I have said before, if I got cancer I would wish to just die. And wouldn't take medicane. In fact, I'd probaly kill myself before I did die of cancer because it's a horrible illness to have.
    But no, I wouldn't take the medicane
    X

oh god thats awful :no:
  • Options
    very naive to be thinking you wouldn't take the medicine.
  • Options
    All drugs are tested on animals before humans, it's the only way to ensure people aren't killed routinely by drug trials.
  • Options
    i'm confused. if the HPV virus is a virus and it can be passed from mother to child then surely it can run in the family like that? how long does the virus live for?

I think you would be silly not to have it done as you are already highly at risk. You might be vegan now but you might not be vegan forever, but you will be too old to have the vaccine. We always think that what we believe now is what we will always believe but as we learn more about life we realise that isn't always the case.

When i was twelve i had a very unhappy family environment that i truely believed was all my fault and i was a horrible person and nothing would convince me otherwise, now i'm older i don't believe that anymore, but the damage still remains. Take from that what you will, but don't think you won't regret/always think what you do presently.
  • Options
    You might be vegan now but you might not be vegan forever.

I will be, I think eating meat and using animal produce is awful. But we're not getting into that again! (see the thread "vegetarian")
    So, I will be vegan forever, and I know that.
    X
  • Options
    like i said, we always think we will believe what we believe now forever, everyone does it. Still think it would be a bad idea not to have the vaccine though.
  • Options
    No, seriously, I've never eaten meat. And my mum and dad where veggie from the age of 13/14.
    So I grow up this way. And even if I go back to being veggie, I wouldn't have vaccines because of animal testing.
    Xx
  • Options
    at 12 i thought everything i was doing was going to be forever, and now im nothing like i was at 12, same at 14 even though it was vastly different from 12, and im nothing like i was then
  • Options
    at 12 i thought everything i was doing was going to be forever, and now im nothing like i was at 12, same at 14 even though it was vastly different from 12, and im nothing like i was then

Hold.On.One. Seconded. Why does every body doubt my ability to stay vegan?

Vegetarianism was how I was raised, and I was vegan as a baby.

Trust me on this- I will never eat meat or fish. And if I do, I give you premision to cut of my arms and legs.
    X
  • Options
    I don't think people are doubting you I think they are just pointing out that people and circumstances change.
  • Options
    No, seriously, I've never eaten meat. And my mum and dad where veggie from the age of 13/14.
    So I grow up this way. And even if I go back to being veggie, I wouldn't have vaccines because of animal testing.
    Xx
    You've already had several vaccines, do you feel bad about receiving them?

Another thing to consider is that being vaccinated doesn't just protect you, it protects others you might infect. For example with many people now refusing the MMR vaccine, they are much more likely to catch a disease like measles or mumps and pass it on to others. The overall effect of this is the diseases spread more rapidly in the population.
  • Options
    yeah, the whole MMR autism thing that has been pretty much completely disproven, it was my generation that didn't take all the jabs, and then it was my generation that ended up getting mumps during high school/uni. My boyfriend had the MMR still got mumps, and is now deaf in one ear, slightly different, but still shows the same point as wooooooooah is making (dont think ive got enough o's in there though)
  • Options
    Exactly. I'd rather be altruistic to my fellow humans than a chicken, frankly.
  • Options
    No, I didn't have all my vaccines as a baby. I think I only had one, not sure or two not sure.
    And yes, I do feel bad about them, and my mum says that if it was just up to her then I wouldn't of had them. I think I needed one of them to get into pre-school.
    Anyway, I've made my choice. I'm not having them. Thanks for all your views
    X
  • Options
    No, I didn't have all my vaccines as a baby. I think I only had one, not sure or two not sure.
    And yes, I do feel bad about them, and my mum says that if it was just up to her then I wouldn't of had them. I think I needed one of them to get into pre-school.
    I just see no sense whatsoever in this. For a parent to deny their child any vaccination is completely reckless and unnecessary.
  • Options
    I don't think people are doubting you I think they are just pointing out that people and circumstances change.

exactly my point.
  • Options
    Just to clear something up from waaaay back. (I know you've made your decision blah blah blah but in case anyone else reads it.)

About the whole sexually active thing... I could be wrong but this is my understanding of it.

It is given to girls at a young age because its been proven to work best that way, and also it is less likely they will have been sexually active. But still... just because someone has been sexually active doesn't mean there is no point getting it. (Otherwise why would they be bothering to do a catch up programme with 17/18 yr olds getting it)

The HPV virus can cause some types of cervical cancer... (aswell as other stuff) and is passed on through sexual contact. And yeah... its not like just because you've suddenly had sex the vaccine doesn't work. Its simply might be less likely to work because you might have contracted one of the strains of HPV already. But you might not... and there are several types anyway. Sooo yeah. :thumb: