Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Lockerbie bomber released on compassionate grounds

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8197370.stm

I'd imagine this will divide people up pretty sharply.

Even if the man was guilty (which he isn't) I would still have approved of this. He's not long for the world anyway.

I should imagine some will disagree though.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't remember the case very well, where does the doubt on his guilt come from?
  • Options
    I don't believe he is guilty either. He ain't going anywhere except Deathville and so it is right that he is released. It's just a tragedy that he won't be able to clear his name.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    I don't remember the case very well, where does the doubt on his guilt come from?

There is lots of information on the net but have a read through this for starters :

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/hugh-miles-lockerbie-was-it-iran-syria-all-i-know-is-it-wasnt-the-man-in-prison-1206086.html
  • Options
    There is certainly enough doubt to suggest his conviction is unsound, not that the Americans want to hear that though. But having said that its not surprising, if you lost loved ones you'd want to think he was guilty and he was going to die in prison.

Ten years inside isn't much for 260+ lives, but as Aladdin rightly points out he's not long for this world and its pretty likely he didnt actually do the crime anyway.
  • Options
    What was the exact crime was he found guilty of?
  • Options

murder; conspiracy to murder; and, a breach of the Aviation Security Act 1982 I believe.
  • Options

He was convicted of 270 cases of murder.
  • Options
    I think this is absolutely disgusting. Where is the justice for the victims families? I don't know enough about the case to say whether I believe him to be guilty or not, but how awful for the families who have to live with the fact that the person convicted for murdering their loved ones has been freed and also the fact that lots of people believe him to be innocent. If he didn't do it then who did?

If you murder someone you should be killed. Instead he has lived off taxpayers money and now made an absolute mochary of the justice system. Why should a murderer be treated like a human and given compassion? :banghead:

I'm embarassed to be British right now. The Americans have got it right, over there you commit a crime you get punished, this is an absolute disgrace.
  • Options
    death penalty doesn't work though, not a proven deterant and not to mention the state cant say "its wrong to kill people" then turn around and go "but if you do, its alright for us to kill you."

You cant have it both ways, either he says in prison and keeps wasting tax payers money, or we send him back to libya where hes going to going to die anyway, we'd be wasting tax payers money for the next couple of months when he dies in one of our prisons, where our system is probably paying for his cancer treatment/painkillers etc

Also even if i lost people i think i'd rather have someone convicted who was without a doubt guilty, rather than just bunging someone in prison, just to have someone in prison for it
  • Options
    death penalty doesn't work though, not a proven deterant and not to mention the state cant say "its wrong to kill people" then turn around and go "but if you do, its alright for us to kill you."

You cant have it both ways, either he says in prison and keeps wasting tax payers money, or we send him back to libya where hes going to going to die anyway, we'd be wasting tax payers money for the next couple of months when he dies in one of our prisons, where our system is probably paying for his cancer treatment/painkillers etc

Also even if i lost people i think i'd rather have someone convicted who was without a doubt guilty, rather than just bunging someone in prison, just to have someone in prison for it

I don't think the death penalty should be used just as a deterant though, it should be used to stop law abiding, hard working citizens having to pay to house and feed murderers.

Yeah I take your point about can't have it both ways, and yeah I would rather know the person convicted definately commited the crime but perhaps the victims families do believe it was him, the majority no doubt will, so it is really not fair when people are doubting he his guilty.
  • Options
    Why isn't it fair? It should be about justice, not about what percentage of the public believes in what.

And the fact remains there are extremely serious doubts about the conviction. Put it this way: even if the man had done it after all, he should still never have been convicted on the basis of completely unreliable witnesses and evidence that should have never been admitted.

As for who actually did it, everything points out to a Palestinian group acting on behalf of Iran, who had seen the US mistakenly shoot down an Iranian Airbus the previous year killing hundreds. However it was not politically convenient to blame Iran at the time, but certainly was to to blame Lybia.
  • Options
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    it should be used to stop law abiding, hard working citizens having to pay to house and feed murderers.

There are lots of arguments for having a death penalty. However this one is a completely incorrect assumption.
    In the USA it costs more to execute someone than it does to leave them in prison until they die.

As for the Lockerbie guy, if he was guilty beyond all doubt then he should have been left to rot in prison. He isn't guilty beyond all doubt, and he's going to die anyway.
    One of the strongest advocates of his innocence was actually a parent of one of the victims anyway.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    One of the strongest advocates of his innocence was actually a parent of one of the victims anyway.
    It's a tough situation for the relatives because they would really want to have closure, and the last think they want to have on their minds is the thought that the real culprits are still at large and unpunished.

Megrahi has just released a statment about his release. Here's an extract:
    I cannot find words in my language or yours that give proper expression to the desolation I have felt. This horrible ordeal is not ended by my return to Libya.

It may never end for me until I die. Perhaps the only liberation for me will be death.

And I say in the clearest possible terms, which I hope every person in every land will hear: all of this I have had to endure for something that I did not do.

The remaining days of my life are being lived under the shadow of the wrongness of my conviction.

I have been faced with an appalling choice: to risk dying in prison in the hope that my name is cleared posthumously or to return home still carrying the weight of the guilty verdict, which will never now be lifted.

The choice which I made is a matter of sorrow, disappointment and anger, which I fear I will never overcome.

The full statement is compelling and moving: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8212910.stm
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8197370.stm

I'd imagine this will divide people up pretty sharply.

Even if the man was guilty (which he isn't) I would still have approved of this. He's not long for the world anyway.

I should imagine some will disagree though.

I don't know whether he's guilty or not (though a trial and appeal found him so). But assuming he is he should have rotted in jail until he died, this was the biggest mass murder on british soil ever, not something that should be forgiven and forgotten about...
  • Options
    I don't know whether he's guilty or not (though a trial and appeal found him so). But assuming he is he should have rotted in jail until he died, this was the biggest mass murder on british soil ever, not something that should be forgiven and forgotten about...
    To be fair the fact that he might be innocent should not be an influence on the decision to whether to release him, as far as the law is concerned. It should be done solely on the basis of whether it is right to do so even if he was guilty.

What I find interesting is the discrepancy in policy. Perhaps in Scotland things are different, but you couldn't really see the likes of Myra Hindley or Ian Brady having been released because they were about to die.

I personally don't have a problem with somebody who is about to die to be released on compassionate grounds if they're no longer a danger to others.

Regarding whether the man might have been innocent or guilty, I won't bore you with the full details with suffice to say that the only evidence with which he was convicted was the testimony of a single, highly unreliable witness fromn Malta who reckoned saw him in his shop buying some clothes which were allegedly found in the suitcase where the bomb was. The witness omitted to say he had seen images of the man prior to the trial. In all it was a sick joke, and would have been thrown out of any normal court in the civilised world (by normal I mean one that was free of massive political interference).
  • Options
    The first I heard of this was this afternoon. I was covering someone's break outside and the radio was switched onto Radio 1. Newsbeat came on and this was the second story, the first being the A-Level results. Unsurprising given the mainly youth-orientated audience of the station. Regardless, it was absolutely dead outside - who wants to jump on a trampoline when you've got massive winds and rain on the way?

So I sat outside listening to the report, drinking a nice cup of tea. I heard that this decision was made by some Scottish minister called Kenny MacAskill. Not a UK matter, it seems. I almost spat out my tea in shock when he said: "Mr al-Megrahi did not show his victims any comfort or compassion. They were not allowed to return to the bosom of their families to see out their lives, let alone their dying days. No compassion was shown by him to them. But that alone is not a reason for us to deny compassion to him and his family in his final days."

Sorry, but what the fuck? This cunt (for there is no other word for someone who was responsible for killing 270 people) has committed a heinous crime against humanity. As for this claim that he's innocent, that he's actually a fluffy little bunny who hasn't done anything wrong in his life, don't make me laugh. If you have evidence of his innocence, produce it. As far as I'm concerned, he should be thrown back into prison and left to die. To hell with him.

P.S. You know things are fucked up when I agree with Tom Harris on something. But even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This cunt (for there is no other word for someone who was responsible for killing 270 people) has committed a heinous crime against humanity. As for this claim that he's innocent, that he's actually a fluffy little bunny who hasn't done anything wrong in his life, don't make me laugh. If you have evidence of his innocence, produce it. As far as I'm concerned, he should be thrown back into prison and left to die. To hell with him.
    Er, no, it doesn't work like that. You have to provide evidence that he is guilty, and the evidence has to be comprehensive and solid enough.

Are you aware of the "evidence" on which this man was convicted, SG?

You'd get a fairer trial in a corrupt banana Republic than he did. The conviction was a disgrace.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    In the USA it costs more to execute someone than it does to leave them in prison until they die.

How does that work? :confused: What are the figures to substantiate that? (I'm only asking. I'm not pro-death penalty)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    How does that work? :confused: What are the figures to substantiate that? (I'm only asking. I'm not pro-death penalty)

I've had a look online and yes, the facts do seem to indicate what you say. :thumb:

Its costs around $90 000 more per year to keep an inmate on death row .. although they do keep condemned people on death row for a stupid amount of time before the execution is carried out.
  • Options
    BBC Thought of the Day on the 19th was interesting on this. Think it's still on iTunes as a podcast.
  • Options
    Its costs around $90 000 more per year to keep an inmate on death row.

It obviously does not need to, but the prison industry is not complaining.
  • Options
    I've had a look online and yes, the facts do seem to indicate what you say. :thumb:

Its costs around $90 000 more per year to keep an inmate on death row .. although they do keep condemned people on death row for a stupid amount of time before the execution is carried out.

I think it's the additional legal costs that are the issue here. Obviously the safeguards for the death sentence have to be that much higher than for life imprisonment, so it takes a long time to go from sentencing to actually carrying it out.

Anyway, I'll just echo what others have said. From what I can tell, the conviction was utter bullshit and he was used as a convenient scapegoat for the incident. But that's what the appeal courts are for. If someone is found guilty of a murder of this type, he shouldn't be let out on compassionate grounds. There's a hospital in prison if you're sick. A convenient conviction and a convenient reason for release without having to admit to the BS conviction, by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I personally don't have a problem with somebody who is about to die to be released on compassionate grounds if they're no longer a danger to others.

I agree with you, and I agree with Rev Ian Galloway:
    Mr Galloway said the decision "sent a message to the world about what it is to be Scottish", and predicted it would be a "defining moment for all of us".

He said: "We are defined as a nation by how we treat those who have chosen to hurt us. Do we choose mercy even when they did not chose mercy?

"This was not about whether one man was guilty or innocent. Nor is it about whether he had a right to mercy but whether we as a nation, despite the continuing pain of many, are willing to be merciful.

"I understand the deep anger and grief that still grips the souls of the victims' families and I respect their views, but to them, I would say justice is not lost in acting in mercy.

"Instead our deepest humanity is expressed for the better. To choose mercy is the tough choice and today our nation met that challenge."

In some ways the reactions remind me of when Michael Portillo went to the states to learn about the most humane way to kill a human, believing that the reason for the death sentence was about removing a dangerous individual from society. The closing scenes of the documentary were of him interviewing someone a prison governer, who said that a humane way to kill a human would be horrendous. Because he thought, execution was about revenge.

And ultimately that's what this comes down to, whether you believe the justice system should be humane (and it's hard to argue that releasing someone who is about to die is inhumane) or whether it should not.

Regardless, the decision has been made and I expect people would have been disappointed either way. Some people would think it would have been cruel to keep a human being - an evil one or a whatever but still a human being - incarcerated while they were sick and blatantly no threat to anyone at all. Some people would and do think that releasing him is an injustice to the victims, that the victims family deserve some justice exacted by leaving this man to die in a prison cell.

My personal feeling is that I'm saddened that so many people find an act of unconditional compassion so disgusting.
  • Options
    I think it's the additional legal costs that are the issue here. Obviously the safeguards for the death sentence have to be that much higher than for life imprisonment, so it takes a long time to go from sentencing to actually carrying it out.

:yes: Yeah, I saw that bit too, thanks.

Anyway, I think death is an easy way out. Lifetime imprisonment must be awful.
  • Options
    although they do keep condemned people on death row for a stupid amount of time before the execution is carried out.

You can't execute someone until all legal appeals have been used up, which is only a little longer than the appeals process for someone locked up until they die.

The alternative of course is to execute everyone and just "hope" that the person you kill wasn't innocent.
  • Options
    Tbh, while I don't approve of the state killing citizens in general because of the possibility of miscarriages, etc, if someone could benefit a tangible benefit to it, there might be some argument there. Like if it was actually proven to cut crime rates. Hell, even it being cheaper would be something, even if it's a pretty dubious reason for killing convicted criminals. But as it is, the only argument seems to be from a position of revenge. Even people who wrongly argue that it's cheaper probably don't actually think that would be a deciding factor on such a massive ethical issue.
  • Options
    What I'm kind of surprised by is that no one has yet brought up any implication that the Scottish government might have released him a) because they knew it would really irritate the americans, and b) to make friends with Libya because they have lots of lovely oil.

Call me a cynic and all.....
  • Options
    What I'm kind of surprised by is that no one has yet brought up any implication that the Scottish government might have released him a) because they knew it would really irritate the americans, and b) to make friends with Libya because they have lots of lovely oil.

Of course oil had a lot to do with it, and of course there is the issue of his appeal. His barrister basically said in court that they had dropped the appeal 'to help this release' - so in other words he's been told to drop his appeal and he will be released. That is a diabolical way to treat justice.
  • Options
    Tbh, while I don't approve of the state killing citizens in general because of the possibility of miscarriages, etc, if someone could benefit a tangible benefit to it, there might be some argument there. Like if it was actually proven to cut crime rates. Hell, even it being cheaper would be something, even if it's a pretty dubious reason for killing convicted criminals. But as it is, the only argument seems to be from a position of revenge. Even people who wrongly argue that it's cheaper probably don't actually think that would be a deciding factor on such a massive ethical issue.

Yea it's a tricky one really, because to start off you need to say whether it's revenge or justice - if it's the latter then surely common decency says any judgements need to be carried out humanely in just the same way we would conduct ourselves in any other area like foreign policy or trade or whatever. Whether that's the case is often a second issue, but that in my mind is the principle.

Then, if you consider that the death penalty is a form of justice because it is the cheaper option or because it is more effective in some cases, there is the second big question - is it moral to take the life of another human being regardless of their crimes, when other options are available?

Just like we happily leave someone's ventilator switched on and give 80 year old people with weeks left tens of thousands of pounds of treatment to try to give them a few extra days, sometimes we can be irrational - we must be irrational - to appeal to the sense of decency and 'doing what is right', over what is the best case economically or financially.

I think this is the same in this situation (but this in my opinion and I respect that many people don't agree), that we have to choose the uncomfortable option of letting a guilty man go, a man who caused terrible suffering to the families of the 270 dead, because - it is just the right thing to do to let a terminally ill, dying man go home to spend their last days.

I hope nobody calls me out too severely for saying that, as it is just my opinion - ultimately this is a question of opinions because there is no right or wrong answer. I am just of the opinion it was the humane thing to do and it is a credit to our society that we even treat monsters humanely.
  • Options

EXACTLY! That was my thought to.

Fuck is this about mercy. It's about political assertion of power. And how sad that this is the arena that the Scots decided to do this in.

Also him not posing a threat? Physically maybe not, but as far as I understood his part was one of logistics. Just saying.