Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lockerbie bomber released on compassionate grounds

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Scotland's not short of oil - it has the North Sea. Whilst pissing of the Americans is a possibility given how much Labour and the SNP hate each other, it's more likely to be pissing off Brown et al
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    EXACTLY! That was my thought to.

Fuck is this about mercy. It's about political assertion of power. And how sad that this is the arena that the Scots decided to do this in.

Also him not posing a threat? Physically maybe not, but as far as I understood his part was one of logistics. Just saying.

But if it was the other way round we could equally accuse the Scottish of playing political games in order to show defiance to Libya and cosying up to the Americans.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's obviously complicated and either way you can say there were potentally political reasons, but none of us have a shred of evidence to suggest any political reasons except for our suspicions.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But if it was the other way round we could equally accuse the Scottish of playing political games in order to show defiance to Libya and cosying up to the Americans.
    What would the Scots have to gain from cosying up to the Yanks? That excludes one particularly obnoxious and bonkers Scotsman called James Gordon Brown - he who, for a man who normally airs his opinion about everything to anyone within a hundred miles of himself, has remained conspicuously silent about this issue - who was always attempting to cosy up to one American called Barack Obama. Although since Obama's approval ratings fell to some of the lowest ever seen for US presidents, Brown no longer mentions his newest best friend. Funny that.

There's a fair amount of evidence to suggest a stitch-up here. Lord Mandelsnake of Corfu (he who is most likely running the country from his hospital bed tonight, if the rumours are true) recently met with Gaddafi's son. Strangely enough, releasing the Lockerbie bomber was in the news back then. I wonder why...
    Scotland's not short of oil - it has the North Sea. Whilst pissing of the Americans is a possibility given how much Labour and the SNP hate each other, it's more likely to be pissing off Brown et al

Are BP et al really satisfied with a resource which is running out? I doubt their shareholders are if nothing else.
    budda wrote: »
    Are BP et al really satisfied with a resource which is running out? I doubt their shareholders are if nothing else.

I imagine that's why they explore new oilfields, research extraction technologies and are investing in renewables

However, BP are not the Scottish Government