Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnancy Test

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm not quite with it at the mo. Basically I did something horrendously stupid last night, and whilst I have the implant we didn't use a condom. I know, stupid. I'm more than a little petrified that I may have been unlucky enough to get pregnant. I know that I could take the morning after pill as a precaution but am unsure about this as it will already be less effective by the time I can get it. I'd wait for my period if it was actually reliable.

So basically I was wondering how long after doing the deed you had to wait until a test could be accurately done?

Gosh, I'm sorry, I know I've been a complete twit.

Comments

• Options
    sorry im no help with the other question but seriously, get the morning after pill. yes, it becomes less effective the longer you leave it but you can take it for up to 72 hours after unprotected sex and you might as well because it still a chance of working!
  • Options
    I get that at the chemist, right?
  • Options
    yep you can get it at some chemists but you have to pay for it, or you can get it from the doctors or a walk in NHS centre for free. when i got it i got it from the walk in centre. i got it off the nurse and they're usually reeeeally nice about it all. not embarassing at all.
  • Options
    Ah, ok, I was trying to think where on my route to work I'd be likely to get it, I know there is a chemist a couple of doors down so I could try them.
  • Options
    I thought the implant is to stop you getting pregnant? :S If you don't take the morning after pill your supposed to wait for your period and if it doesn't come get a test, I'm in the same boat as you, just waiting for the mo :/
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Instead of a pregnancy test (as you are on the implant so would be extremely unlucky as you are on effective contraception) I'd be more inclined to get an STD test.
  • Options
    whats the point of having the implant if you are petrified youll get pregnant without a condom. The implant is contraception in itself.
    STDs are more of a risk
  • Options
    give or take a month and a few weeks! but it would be best if you consult the doctor that you trust regarding your query!
  • Options
    Instead of a pregnancy test (as you are on the implant so would be extremely unlucky as you are on effective contraception) I'd be more inclined to get an STD test.

I would agree with this. The implant is a very effective method of contraception, more effective than the morning after pill!

I think checking for STI beasties should be your primary concern here.
  • Options
    I'm on the implant partly because I don't want to be pregnant and partly because my periods were hell. The injection didn't agree with me and I kept forgetting to take the pill.

In hindsight, last night's post probably made sod all sense as I'd just come home from work and I'd only had an hours sleep before going to work. Spoke to the chemist and they told me not to bother taking the pill.

Fear not, I fully intend to go and get tested, I'll know exactly who it was if I have caught anything as he's the only person I've had sexual contact with since my last one.

I know using a condom is the best idea, I always have done in the past. Not that it's any excuse, but being drunk and stoned does tend to make you lose all common sense. Well, I guess the fact I was drunk and stoned to begin with proves that point.

On the upside, this won't happen again soon, the hospital have advised me against having sex :(
  • Options
    *hugs* gutted hun. It's a silly mistake and these things do happen. Just try not to worry and wait for your next period...
    I really hope you dont get pregnant.
    At least you will always use condoms after this!!
  • Options
    I've always used them before this :(

This it'd be a lot easier if my period came a bit more regularly than it does.
  • Options
    you have to waite 2 weeks after you have had sex to take a pregancey test.
  • Options
    Thank you! *gives hysterical virtual hugs*!
  • Options
    Sorry to drag this up, but I'm all good :)
  • Options
    Awww good :-) You've learnt your lesson so I wont lecture you on STI's haha! Which is lucky for you... my lectures are quite long :-p But yea. as people said before... you do have an implant, and cos you're only sleeping with one person then you will be fine. Both of you should be checked for STI's tho, just in case.
    Crying-angel x
  • Options
    I've already beaten myself up about it. I'm going to get tested when I'm back at uni as I've been to the GUM there before. I doubt he'll get tested, he's not talking to me still.
  • Options
    aww hunni, well- when you're with your next partner it's good to get tested at the start of a relationship. If you need anything PM me :-)
    C-A xx
  • Options
  • Options
    .... I was just being nice!!!
    C-A
  • Options
    Why would Marina need to PM you for help?

I guess shes just trying to be nice.
  • Options
    yea! I mean, god am I not allowed to offer advice to people! I've been through all this and I know how hard it is! Tbh, I'm not going to start an argument, but girlwithsharpteeth needs to mind her on business
    C-A xxx
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    TBH I CAN OFFER ALOT OF HELP LOVE. I may be young but I've been through alot! I didn't necessarily mean on this particular problem, as she may come across other problems in the future. Who are you to question my good gestures anyway? Having had a miscarriage and a pregnancy test myself, I do understand how frightening it can be having unprotected sex and dealing with the possible consequnences. I say to every one that they can PM if they need any other advice, and it is there choice if they want to or not- not yours. Some people do PM about certain issues, and I PM people about problems of my own too. I'll certainly not be messaging you about any tho! I joined thesite to give advice and receive it too. Not to be told I shouldn't by you that's for sure.
    I'm going on holiday now so I'll continue this with you when I return.
    Crying-angel
  • Options
    hehehe
  • Options
    I joined thesite to give advice and receive it too.

Just wanted to stick my nose in and say advice is generally best given on the boards rather than by PM. People may be reading who would benefit from the public posts, and also it's easier for the mods to check people are being given correct advice :)

P.S. Watch out, GWST :p
  • Options
    Having had a miscarriage and a pregnancy test myself, I do understand how frightening it can be having unprotected sex and dealing with the possible consequnences.

I can't decide what's more hilarious, a twelve-year-old trying to play the life experience card or a twelve-year-old threatening an internet fight with someone twice her age.

Go away and play with your barbies.

P.S. Advice by PM is not what this board is about. Questions are asked publicly and answered publicly. Always seeking to send PMs is a bit sinister IMHO.

P.P.S. GWST is making the tea. I'm sure she'll deal with you later ;)
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    P.P.S. GWST is making the tea. I'm sure she'll deal with you later ;)

Am i at risk sounding like a right noob by asking what GWST stands for?!
  • Options
    It stands for girl with sharp teeth.