Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Does anyone here ever buy anything from door to door Salesmen?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Bit of a rant...
A couple of guys in suits knock at my door just now- from Npower
Before he even starts I say "not interested I'm afraid", he then starts to say some stuff as I am just about to shut the door, something like "do you not pay the bills?" I again said, "I'm not interested thanks" as I'm shutting the door he starts speaking again, so I say "please don't call again, thanks" all perfectly polite, if a little jaded, then I hear loud giggling as I shut the door, so I open the door again and say "please, whatever you do don't laugh at me mate" and they both pointed at each other and said "it was him", so I again repeat "please don't call again"
Like a pair of 12 year olds, honestly.

They probably won't call again and as usual whenever I have any confrontation or slightly cross words end up feeling bad and remorseful within seconds.
Does anybody ever buy anything from dorr-to-door salesmen?
I never have and I probably never will, if I want something I'll seek it out, not wait until someone knocks on the door offering it to me...:banghead:

Comments

• Options
    They wouldnt have actually been from nPower, they would have been from a marketing firm that has a contract with npower to try and get people to change suppliers.
  • Options
    I've never brought from a door to door salesman, although I got a call afew weeks back from Everest asking if I wanted a free quote for a new front door. I had just been talking to my husband about how we still needed a new door, so we offered them round to give us a quote and ended up buying the door and paying way more than what we expected!

It really bugs me how they knock on your door, always at tea times or early evening when you are busy at home! A guy once came round from a charity and he was like 'we're doing all these wonderful things in your local area to raise money' and I lived with my mum at the time and she was like what things? And he couldn't answer! She said tell me what things you do then and he then started going off on one about how for the price of a box of tea bags she could do this that and the other to help whatever charity it was. I'm all for helping others but I was like who does he think he is!?

Know what bugs me even more? When you are shopping and they come over asking for donations, so you give them a couple of quid and they're like paper donations would be much appreciated, and when you say you have donated all you can they're like 'enjoy the rest of your shopping, don't buy too many clothes' making you feel guilty. How rude and ungrateful!

Kinda wishing I hadn't read this thread now, I need to get off my high horse now.
  • Options
    Never. Usually double glazing but just tell them we rent and they fuck off.
  • Options
    They try to sell my parents double glazing when they allready have it.

Heh tis post 15,000 !!
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Never. Usually double glazing but just tell them we rent and they fuck off.

That's the best way to get rid of them. I look quite young for my age so sometimes they ask if mum or dad or home so I just say no!
  • Options
    Luckily, I've never had it happen at my own house, but I would say the same as Rubberskin - say that I just rent the place.

A few weeks ago in town (Stafford), I had a girl called Jessica (yes name and shame) who was collecting money for the NSPCC (children). After she attempted to pursuade me for a few minutes, I kindly asked for one of their leaflets or just their web site and I would think about it. But no, she was pressing for my bank details so that she could enter it into a handheld device that she was carrying. When I said that I didn't know my bank details, she then continued "let us both go to your bank then and sort it out there." That is not freakin' NSPCC! Next day, I reported her to our local NSPCC unit, and the charity confirmed that real NSPCC wouldn't press for bank details.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Yes. I sold milk rounds for dairycrest door to door for a few weeks. Had loads of people sign up.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    No I haven't personally, but I worked for one of those marketing companies promoting an electrcity company in Australia for a few weeks. It was the only kind of work I could get as a traveller, and I hated it. I was actually fairly good, got a fair few sales but it was commission only and there was alot of pressure on me to get more sales than I did the day before. Sometimes you'd have a shit day in a shit area with some real fucking rude CUNTS opening their doors. I understand it can get annoying having someone knock on your door, but please I'm just trying to earn a fucking living, no need to be a cunt.
  • Options
    I don't understand the story. Were they door to door or phone sales people? Why did they laugh?

Don't think I've ever had a door to door sales person as long as I've lived at my current place and I don't answer the phone so don't have to worry about that.

I wouldn't answer the door unless I was expecting somebody anyways.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    They try to sell my parents double glazing when they allready have it.

We've had that before too hehe. They only have to look at our house to see we already have it.
  • Options
    We get people trying to sell paintings they have done, and if you say no they get really shity. I feel bad but you have to shut the door on them.
  • Options
    We get them all the time. The only one I've ever had any business off was the window cleaner.

The rest are just a pain in the arse.

"Do you want cheaper gas or electricity?"

"Not interested"

"So you're happy paying over the odds?"

*shuts door*
  • Options
    Pretend you don't speak English :thumb:

They probably won't believe you, but what can they do about it? It's like when chuggers ask you in the street if you're over 18. I always say no, even though i blatantly am.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    We bought our facias in our old house from a door-to-door man.

It was a reputable company, one we had heard of before, and ours really needed doing. They came, gave us a quote, we said 'aye, right', haggled a bit, got a good deal and then we had sparkly new facias put in, which increased the value of the house.

It was something we were planning on doing at some point in the near future (given that some of the pieces were falling down!) and they came round and got our business.

It's not something I generally do, as a rule of thumb, because 9 times out of 10 they are selling something you are genuinely not interested in. However, in this case, they scored.
  • Options
    only the avon lady occasionally
  • Options
    We usually get these. Sometimes "the home-owner (parents) isn't in" works, but other times it doesn't.
  • Options
    Melian - if the homeowner/parents trick doesn't work, what do you tend to say to them next?
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Melian - if the homeowner/parents trick doesn't work, what do you tend to say to them next?

"Not interested, sorry". Most of the time it will work though. I think one time I told them we couldn't help and shut the door. Got told by mum "we already do that anyway".
  • Options
    I don't understand the story. Were they door to door or phone sales people? Why did they laugh?

They were door to door salesmen.

I don't know why they laughed.
    I was just in the middle of trying on my girlfriends underwear when I answered the door, nothing strange or out of the ordinary....:D
  • Options
    You answered the door in your gf's underwear?
  • Options
    You answered the door in your gf's underwear?
    I do so on a daily basis.

No mate, just kidding :)
  • Options
    Thanks Melian! It's good to know in case it happens in the future * thumbs up *
  • Options
    No. And I generally have no qualms about telling them to fuck off if they start being cunts.
  • Options
    I want the two evangelical american girls to come back around again, they were around last time I was on leave. They were nice.
  • Options
    I want the two evangelical american girls to come back around again, they were around last time I was on leave. They were nice.
    Now thats something I'd be happy to open the door to even if I was in the middle of my tea or fragging yanks on Xbox Live.

I think there should be a law passed that all door to door sales people must be female with a fitness rating of 9 or above.
    There would be a special uniform for the job also.
  • Options
    I've had plenty of conversion attempts from evangelicals, so I wouldn't be happy to get a door-to-door from one. I've not yet had an evangelical but I did get a couple of Johova's Witnesses in 1995 while I was still a minor.
  • Options
    I never do, I wouldn't anyway, but when they ask 'are your parents in?' that normally pisses me off enough to be rude to them aswell. I'm 22 and havent lived with my parents for 4 years now.
  • Options
    Ive never bought anything from door to door salesmen... co'z they can't catch me at home. :hyper: I've always wanted to buy fresh milk though...chill it straight to the fridge and drink it with no chemicals added.
  • Options
    only the avon lady occasionally

I was an Avon lady for about 3 months - hardest, most miserable job I ever did...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I was an Avon lady for about 3 months - hardest, most miserable job I ever did...

You're a lady?!