Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Windows 7 - buying?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    minimi38 wrote: »
    IE's superor tab system.
    You mean the tab system Firefox had a long time before IE?
  • Options
    Why would I care who invented it first?

Firefox inanely adds all new tabs on the the end, IE adds them after the tab that they were opened from, much more orderly.

When Firefox comes up with something better i'll use that.
  • Options

Firefox inanely adds all new tabs on the the end, IE adds them after the tab that they were opened from, much more orderly.

You can get a FireFox addon to add the tab next tot he one you are viewing
  • Options

Firefox has loads of options for handling tabs ...take seconds to add on.
    There are thousands of addons available to make it look and behave as you wish plus it is far more secure than IE.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    You can get a FireFox addon to add the tab next tot he one you are viewing
    Or just click and drag the tab to move it, tbh it isnt hard and firefox is way better than IE, without a doubt
  • Options
    I'm out of breath just reading that lot:thumb: :razz:
  • Options
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    Can i explain a few things to you guys:

Never pay for New versions of Windows... (Just get them free, download it, you'll feel much better when you can spend that £100 on your girlfriend instead? Or that new iPod whatever)

The other things.

Windows Vista needs 2GB of ram and a good proc to run WELL.
    If you have a SHIT PC, windows is going to be SHIT.
    Down't blame WINDOWS, because windows, works fine on my beast of a computer. If you have SHIT computer, get Windows 98. Or BUY a new computer with the NEW WINDOWS, which should work well.

Basically, im really pissed off because. Windows 7 is amazing compared to XP or Vista.

I loved XP, and hated every moment of vista. But now running Windows 7, it's fast, blah blah. It works really well, it's all the good bit of XP put into the VISTA, without the bad bits of Vista.

If you DON'T like updates, TURN THEM OFF... Every feture on windows can be turned off. USE GOOGLE.

If you computer BSOD's (Blue Screen) or CRASHES etc
    You either:
    Have got a virus/spyware/adware/worm etc etc
    Not enough RAM
    Old Processor
    Or you've fucked with something you shouldn't have.

Just to let you know, i this is my PC:

Windows 7, Windows Vista, Win XP, Ubuntu 9.04, Mac OSX
    3GB RAM
    500GB SATA HDD
    3.6GHZ Dual Core
    1084mb AT1 Radeon GFX Card.
    £350 in total (Encluding Monitor, speakers, keyboard mouse)
    So it's cheap PC, all brand new stuff about 4 months ago.

I have over 60,000,000 files.
    I have 6 operating systems
    I have over 10/15 programs running at once
    I use various computer intensive things (3D modelling, WoW etc)
    I have 482 Programs installed

On Linux and MAC, i run 2 operating Systems at once.

So i can tell you that Windows 7, is very nice. I'm not a windows fan boy - i fall out with it ALOT, hense the other operating systems on my PC. It's worth the money - if you feel like buying it. Just don't blame microsoft if it doesn't work. Because your HARDWARE is rubbish.

Anyway For the FireFox debate.

Firefox > I.E > Safari

Firefox:
    Easiest, faster, much nicer and safer.

I.E:
    Very dodgy, looks naff. Slower, tries to do toooo much for me. Stop it.

Safari:
    This is like the kid firefox gave birth to, but wanted an abortion. It's everything firefox is, but with a chrome feel, some mac buttons and a lot of problems. No addons, JAVA, flash, PDF, shockwave ISSUES... Slower memory leaks. Safari was never ment for windows. However on Mac computers. It's bloody brilliant :D
    What a load of crap, well most of it,
    You either:
    Not enough RAM
    Old Processor

Thats wrong, there are times when operating systems will fail, not because of the stuff above but because of other reasons or a corrupt system file caused by the OS

My Pc is clean, has the top Anti Virus, Spyware and Adware, 4 gig of ram and a dual core 3.8ghz pro and it sometimes crashes, Coding in the operation system can cause crashes
    You either:
    Not enough RAM
    Old Processor

Just to let you know, i this is my PC:

Windows 7, Windows Vista, Win XP, Ubuntu 9.04, Mac OSX
    3GB RAM
    500GB SATA HDD
    3.6GHZ Dual Core
    1084mb AT1 Radeon GFX Card.
    £350 in total (Encluding Monitor, speakers, keyboard mouse)
    So it's cheap PC, all brand new stuff about 4 months ago.

I have over 60,000,000 files.
    I have 6 operating systems
    I have over 10/15 programs running at once
    I use various computer intensive things (3D modelling, WoW etc)
    I have 482 Programs installed

On Linux and MAC, i run 2 operating Systems at once.

Not boasting much no? is this ment to impress me? hardly, it seems to me 90% of your posts include a little segment of "How cool am I, look at me"

I can say I am not the only one who thinks this is getting tedious
    Windows Vista needs 2GB of ram and a good proc to run WELL.
    If you have a SHIT PC, windows is going to be SHIT.
    Down't blame WINDOWS, because windows, works fine on my beast of a computer. If you have SHIT computer, get Windows 98. Or BUY a new computer with the NEW WINDOWS, which should work well.

I think people get pissed off with the fact that there computers have the "recomended" system requirement which is alot lower than what you have stated and it doesn't work properally, let alone the "minimum" system requirements which it is dismal on, MS should have raised the recomended system requirements on Vista before release.

I think the only thing in this post that I agree upon is your view on Web browsers,
  • Options
    Tr4shed wrote: »
    Can i explain a few things to you guys:

Never pay for New versions of Windows... (Just get them free, download it, you'll feel much better when you can spend that £100 on your girlfriend instead? Or that new iPod whatever)

<snip>

Utter cobblers, young man. Whilst a reasonable argument can be made for having an illegal piece of software that you use once in a blue moon, and feel the quality doesn't justify the cost, it's completely impossible to argue that using a piece of software on a regular basis without paying for it is fair. Any operating system falls into this category.

Steal Publisher, if you're only using it once each year to send something out to your family at Christmas. But not something you use every day...

This box has 4gb and 3.7ghz of dual-core, and it'll never, ever, ever have Windows running near it. :)
  • Options
    You mean the tab system Firefox had a long time before IE?

Yeah, I was using Mozilla in June 2002 which had tabs and pop-up blocking. Then IE7 came out in Dec 2006? 4½ years later.
  • Options
    60 million files? What of? :P
  • Options
    God i remember good old mozilla platform, called seamonkey now isnt it? I use firefox with thunderbird :)
  • Options
    Yeah Hellfire, the old Mozilla platform (formerly Netscape) is now Seamonkey if you still want to go for the full Netscape/Mozilla suite. I use FF & Tbird too.
  • Options
    To be fair I have gotten FF n Tbird the way I wanted so I am quite happy but the Mozilla company are by far one of my favourate companies :)
  • Options
    If you DON'T like updates, TURN THEM OFF... Every feture on windows can be turned off. USE GOOGLE.

You either:
    Not enough RAM
    Old Processor

Just don't blame microsoft if it doesn't work. Because your HARDWARE is rubbish.
    I don't really understand what your little lecture has to do with Windows 7? Clearly a lot of people have been reporting crashes and problems with Windows 7, and they are not due to hardware faults or user error. There are a few steps in the OS before user input gets to the hardware, you know??