Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Windows 7 - buying?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone putting their money down now for Windows 7?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

Comments

• Options
    I'm thinking about it! I did with Windows vista, not sure i'll do it the second time round.
  • Options
    No. I'm not investing any more that sinking ship.
  • Options
    No. I'm not investing any more that sinking ship.

I would consider it, changing my Vista PC to Win7, although I dont have the "need" too change it, considering they are being Arsehats about giving europe the upgrade from current OS option. where as America can upgrade from Vista to 7 at a cheaper cost, this isnt being rolled out in the UK.
  • Options
    Shame I couldnt buy it from the US and do an upgrade :(
  • Options
    Will they make the same mistake as vista with putting Ultimate on Home prem, like you have the option if you don't enter in the key?
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    I would consider it, changing my Vista PC to Win7, although I dont have the "need" too change it, considering they are being Arsehats about giving europe the upgrade from current OS option. where as America can upgrade from Vista to 7 at a cheaper cost, this isnt being rolled out in the UK.

You know that's because of the european law people dont you?

Because if it's an upgrade install, it will come with internet explorer, and that's bad.

Despite the fact every other operating system ever comes with an internet browser! Why don't Apple get sued for buying cross platform software and making it OS X only, I wonder?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    You know that's because of the european law people dont you?

Because if it's an upgrade install, it will come with internet explorer, and that's bad.

Despite the fact every other operating system ever comes with an internet browser! Why don't Apple get sued for buying cross platform software and making it OS X only, I wonder?
    Actually, you're wrong. The EU require that a choice of web browsers be presented to the user, not the Internet Explorer be removed and only offered separately. Microsoft have taken this decision in an insidious attempt to punish the EU for trying to enforce anti-competiveness laws by harming consumers.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Anyone putting their money down now for Windows 7?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/buy/offers/pre-order.aspx

Certainly not. The machine I'm testing it on(fair spec laptop, not overclocked, makes 100+ day uptimes with my regular OS) has hard-locked 4 times so far, each after 3-4 days of use.

Not the best experience for me. I'll stick with paying £0.00. :)
  • Options
    the issue specifically was with bundling afaik, same with windows media player.

why would microsoft want to punish it's own customers?
  • Options
    I'll say yes but only when Vista become almost unsupported like XP. Actually I never had a problem with XP, I really liked it and since reinstalling XP last May it had never crashed on me once and I never ever had problems with viruses or spyware (apart from tracking cookies), if my laptop hadn't of came with Vista then I'd still ber happy with XP.... I am thinking about going back to XP actually.
  • Options
    I'm sticking with XP for now. It's an OEM copy that I bought for £95 back in 2006. I was then surprised to find that it activated OK even though I have changed virtually everything in my PC now from the 2006 spec. I thought I'd had to phone up M$ at the very least. If I did, I would have used Eddish's excuse about a blown capacitor on my board and thus having to replace the board.

Back on topic, I have used Win 7 at work, my boss setting up a demo PC loaded with Win 7 for us employees to try out. I like the fact that M$ have toned down on the processes so that it's more like XP now with 20 running processes on a clean install. As for me upgrading though, I prefer to wait until a service pack has come out for the OS before I consider switching to it. With XP, I waited until SP2 before I considered that XP was "good". With Windows 98, it was second edition that did it for me.
  • Options
    Yep, have been running on the trial version and now the RC version for a while now and not had it lock up on me once, so have placed my order. Will be replacing my copy of xp, never did get on with vista but this does seem worth the £45 i've paid for it.
  • Options
    No.
  • Options
    Windows 7 is good

Hi All,

I have been running the Beta and RC version of Windows 7 now for about 6 months. It is a very stable and managable operating system. It can easily replace the out dated XP.

I also work in an IT firm and our office PC use Windows 7 now to manage the network. We have never had a problem
  • Options
    You are using windows 7 to manage your network, yet it hasnt been released yet?
  • Options
    Yeah, we are running the RC versions which are managing the 2003 and 2008 servers. When it is officially released, which for us as we have a vl will be the 1st October this year, (22nd October for public) we will just format our office PC hard drives and start a fresh.

Over the next 2-3 years we are planning to migrate all 15 of our servers to server 2008
  • Options
    Ahh ok, I just wasnt aware of the timeframe of releases etc and thought the RC had only just come out.
  • Options
    Yeah RC was released a few weeks ago. The BETA version was put into testing on 2 local PC'c and we found it worked so well, we pushed it out to the 16 main network managing computers. However we still have them on dual boot (or triple if your counting) for Windows 7, XP and Linux just in case Windows 7 doesnt work for some reason.

We haven't had a single problem with Windows 7 yet though. Really easy to manage the DC's, all the administrative tools work fine, Active Directory is easy to load.
  • Options
    Certainly not. The machine I'm testing it on(fair spec laptop, not overclocked, makes 100+ day uptimes with my regular OS) has hard-locked 4 times so far, each after 3-4 days of use.

Not the best experience for me. I'll stick with paying £0.00. :)

After seeing the random reboots several times, it's currently on 22 days of being up - and I've not updated anything.

Weird... :) Still, it's not a daily production machine. That one still runs Linux, and does this without batting an eyelid...
    01:37:15 up 37 days, 22:40, 1 user, load average: 2.36, 2.26, 2.24

I'll hit 3x that uptime without trying, unless we have a power cut... :)
  • Options
    My experience has been relatively similar to CTSM - a system which is rock solid stable in both vista and ubuntu 9.04 has locked up several times with win 7. It is much faster than vista and looks nicer, but isn't quite as stable. Can't really do a direct comparison to XP as I haven't used that for quite some time, when I do it's normally at uni where I just do the basics on it (ie6 :< / ms word / excel).

I preordered win 7 though, as it was a good deal and it's likely I was going to get it anyway.
  • Options
    For Windows 7:
    Faster than Vista
    New features
    Will probably look nicer

Against:
    (Possible) Driver/hardware issues
    (Possible) Software compatibility

Are the last two possible/likely/reported by test users? If so, I'll wait until it's working nicely before buying.
  • Options
    For Windows 7:
    Faster than Vista
    New features
    Will probably look nicer

Against:
    (Possible) Driver/hardware issues
    (Possible) Software compatibility

Are the last two possible/likely/reported by test users? If so, I'll wait until it's working nicely before buying.

its the same kernel (code underneath the pretty stuff) so everything should be compatible if it was compatible with vista. main issue so far, which isnt a massive issue tbh, is just a bit on unreliability. It wont matter so much for a home machine - one crash every 2 weeks due to something or other like an application crash is bearable. But if you're using for a server it's not ready.. yet.
  • Options
    its the same kernel (code underneath the pretty stuff) so everything should be compatible if it was compatible with vista. main issue so far, which isnt a massive issue tbh, is just a bit on unreliability. It wont matter so much for a home machine - one crash every 2 weeks due to something or other like an application crash is bearable. But if you're using for a server it's not ready.. yet.
    I tried win7 in beta and i did have 1/2 crashes, over a course of 6-8weeks however it seemed to be my fault in the crashes (eg fucking around with display drivers/dual monitor boot or new hardware, It's always when I fucked up :p but yes 1/2crashes ever month or so is bad for a server, although our work server that'd be an improvement
  • Options
    In the end I will get it. Though having only just got a laptop in march, and my desktop at home (I work away) was only bought in July. So might leave it for a bit.
  • Options
    Cool when is it available then? I'll probably go for the student upgrade version from US like I did with Vista.
  • Options
    Im sure I read some where that it is going to be much cheaper over here anyway?
  • Options
    Really? I thought software was normally cheaper over there.
  • Options
    My experience has been relatively similar to CTSM - a system which is rock solid stable in both vista and ubuntu 9.04 has locked up several times with win 7. It is much faster than vista and looks nicer, but isn't quite as stable. Can't really do a direct comparison to XP as I haven't used that for quite some time, when I do it's normally at uni where I just do the basics on it (ie6 :< / ms word / excel).

I preordered win 7 though, as it was a good deal and it's likely I was going to get it anyway.

My box finally locked at 28 days. I rebooted, and it locked again the next day. And again this morning... it's less predictable than WinME!
  • Options
    My youngest son has been running seven for some months now and loves it.
    Right this minute I'm on a windows os but normaly I'm on a linux system ...it's free it's fast and it's trouble free ...no antivirus no firewall ...and did I say it's free.
    Even though I'm on a windows os right now ...it isn't using internet explorer ...it's using firefox ...why isn't everyone using firefox?
  • Options
    IE's superor tab system.