Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The 3rd World comes to America

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1159677/Pictured-The-credit-crunch-tent-city-returned-haunt-America.html

Out of all the nations in the world, the USA is the best equipped to look after its citizens who have ended up in situations like the above.

it makes me proud to live in a country that won't just abandon people.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jesus Christ, that's awful.
  • Options
    Wasn't it the same after New Orleans though?
  • Options
    in america they have the freedom to starve
  • Options
    The American Dream: If you're poor, you deserve it. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nothing new really.

The gap between rich and poor actually closened 1945-c.1971, since then and especially since Reagan's economic policies which have lingered on the gap has grown.
  • Options
    It really is nothing new, and it's not all down to the credit crunch/recession/depression/end of the world/second coming of christ/rapture or whatever it is today.

There were a 450,000 documented employed homeless in America in 2004 - that's people not working less than 40 hours per week, no roof over their heads...and those were the documented, the ones we knew about.
  • Options
    So Whowhere, you believe that the UK is a lovely, wonderful country which never abandons people in their hour of need, do you?

Tell that to Thomas and Zibi, two brothers who have come to the UK from Poland. They came here for good reasons - to work hard, to improve their lot in life. Yet now they are sleeping in tents. Earlier this week, they "were trying to keep themselves warm at their riverbank home yesterday by huddling round a small, smoky fire built from green sticks. A pot of water bubbled away and all around the trees and undergrowth, which only partially concealed their makeshift shelters from curious passers-by, were festooned with clothes and plastic bags. In happier times, this might make a pleasant spot to pitch a tent, but not for these two brothers from Lublin in south-east Poland. They came to Britain to make better lives for themselves but are now stranded, penniless and without work, unable even to afford to make the journey to London or Manchester to seek a loan from the Polish embassy to get home."

Read this and weep.
  • Options
    sounds about right, billions of taxpayer dollars go to bailout the failed banks and corporations, but not enough to go around for the taxpayers themselves. welcome to free market capitalism.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    So Whowhere, you believe that the UK is a lovely, wonderful country which never abandons people in their hour of need, do you?
    I don't think he meant that at all, and of course you will always find such cases in any country, but the point is about both the number of people that are allowed to find themselves in such situation, and the economic and social system of the country in question.

America can stick out like a sore thumb because while it is true the GPD and average standard of living can be higher than most, in reality there is a much bigger gap between rich and poor. And more to the point, most people in Europe regardless of circumstances can count on basic welfare, housing and healthcare rights.

That the richest country in the world allows for up to 1 in 4 of their citizens to go without healthcare and sits happily with countless people living in third world conditions is nothing short of a disgrace, and should be highlighted and condemned at every given opportunity.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    That the richest country in the world allows for up to 1 in 4 of their citizens to go without healthcare and sits happily with countless people living in third world conditions is nothing short of a disgrace, and should be highlighted and condemned at every given opportunity.
    Hasn't Saint Obama been elected partly to sort that one out? Though God knows how he's going to do it when he's focusing so heavily on getting us out of the economic shitstorm.
  • Options

Tell that to Thomas and Zibi, two brothers who have come to the UK from Poland. They came here for good reasons - to work hard, to improve their lot in life. Yet now they are sleeping in tents. Earlier this week, they "were trying to keep themselves warm at their riverbank home yesterday by huddling round a small, smoky fire built from green sticks. A pot of water bubbled away and all around the trees and undergrowth, which only partially concealed their makeshift shelters from curious passers-by, were festooned with clothes and plastic bags. In happier times, this might make a pleasant spot to pitch a tent, but not for these two brothers from Lublin in south-east Poland. They came to Britain to make better lives for themselves but are now stranded, penniless and without work, unable even to afford to make the journey to London or Manchester to seek a loan from the Polish embassy to get home."

Read this and weep.

The exception rather than the rule. There are measures in place to assist people with repatriation, all they needed to do was wander into a local police station and go from there.
    I've assisted a few people in the past who were stuck far from home, including foreigners.
  • Options

Read this and weep.

That is very far from an isolated case, there are hundreds, possibly thousands of homeless Polish workers in London.

Both cases here and in the US as foul and show us to have a completely screwed society. Unlike some would suggest the odd bit of under age drinking doesnt make us a broken society it is the fact that we dont look after the truly vulnerable.
  • Options
    There is no such thing as society ...
    Free market capitalism is being more and more exposed in it's limitations in creating a fair society.
    The American attitude of looking after number one really limits democracy.
    Even American children are taught that sharing is good ...looking after each other is a positive but ...the education system then kicks in with its dumbing down process.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Out of all the nations in the world, the USA is the best equipped to look after its citizens who have ended up in situations like the above.

Where on earth did you get that idea.

I would argue that the USA is the least equipped.

The USA is the world's largest debtor nation, the largest of any nation in history.
  • Options
    I agree with God. I would imagine a country like Switzerland is probably best equipped. They, after all were the only nation who had shelters for every citizen in case of nuclear holocaust.( Sorry for mendering off the point, God) p.s. Amen
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    The exception rather than the rule. There are measures in place to assist people with repatriation, all they needed to do was wander into a local police station and go from there.
    And how are people who have only just come to this country supposed to know where their local police station is? I've lived in the same place all my life and didn't have the foggiest idea where it was until I was at least 15. What if they aren't able to speak English terribly well? Bit of a problem going up to a copper if you don't know the lingo, innit?

Though more likely than not, their police station has been turned into one that's only manned during office hours by Blunkett's bobbies, or has been designated a "non-operational" station. Welcome to Blighty indeed.
  • Options
    Where on earth did you get that idea.

I would argue that the USA is the least equipped.

The USA is the world's largest debtor nation, the largest of any nation in history.

Its not really to do with whether they can or not, its whether they even try - in the US they clearly dont even when they have enough money (unlike now).
  • Options
    And how are people who have only just come to this country supposed to know where their local police station is? I've lived in the same place all my life and didn't have the foggiest idea where it was until I was at least 15. What if they aren't able to speak English terribly well? Bit of a problem going up to a copper if you don't know the lingo, innit?

Though more likely than not, their police station has been turned into one that's only manned during office hours by Blunkett's bobbies, or has been designated a "non-operational" station. Welcome to Blighty indeed.

If I'm going to be blunt, then perhaps going to live in a foreign country isn't the best idea if it's not something you've properly researched, and an even worse idea if you don't speak the language.
  • Options
    A lot of people thought things would get better once Obama got into office, but now I think many people are realizing that won't be the case.
  • Options
    To be fair to the man, he's been in power less than a hundred days. His predecessor had 8 years to fuck everything up.

So far I've been impressed with Obama, he's clearly an intelligent man and really gives the impression he's serving the people, not the corporations.