Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How green are your toilet habits?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Toilet roll: worse for the environment than hummers?

Admittedly, this is less to do with our habits here in the UK, and I'm sure most of us use reasonably basic recycled stuff, but it had never occurred to me that it was such a huge problem.

Discuss...

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've got one of the two phase flush things so you can flush it a little bit for number 1's or lots for number 2's. Does enough for me :D
  • Options
    Ive never thought it was ethical to buy virgin paper just to wipe your arse on
  • Options
    I remember a wonderful essay David had to write for one of his politics modules while at uni. He found the best quote on eco friendly toilet habits ever - "If it's brown, flush it down; if it's yellow let it mellow" :D

i lol'd
  • Options
    I don't think water usage is as much of an issue as the toilet rolls.

Perhaps we should go all the Indian way. Only I'm left handed... :eek2:
  • Options
    Our toilet rolls come from a substainable source. For every toilet roll we buy they plant 3 labrador puppies.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Our toilet rolls come from a substainable source. For every toilet roll we buy they plant 3 labrador puppies.

:lol:
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »

When I was in Nepal, i pretended I'd been to the loo and stuck my hand in my friend's face to freak her out. :lol:

She was so angry
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I don't think water usage is as much of an issue as the toilet rolls.

Do they only use their hands over there?
  • Options
    I don't particularly think about saving polar bears when I'm taking my morning dump, I must admit.
  • Options
    The thicker paper also can cause a problem for sewage plants as well, the industry term is 'poke-through-ability' and if it is too high it can clog up the sewage system.

I always use recycled paper and I have a low-flush toilet.
  • Options
    Do they only use their hands over there?
    The majority of people in rural India, and I suspect a good chunk of those in cities, seem to. There are 'Western' toilets to be found in some facilities, but it is usually the hole on the ground with the two 'footprints' where you can place your feet, and a jug full of water on the side, so if you should always carry some tissue with you.

The thing is, everybody is suppossed to use their left hand for the deed in question, which means the right hand only should gets use for various tasks such as handling food etc. Being a leftie (and sticking to the Western system when doing a no. 2) I saw no issue using my left hand on all sorts of tasks, though I saw a couple of people give me disapproving looks.
  • Options
    Side thought - why is it that the most replied to threads on P&D seem to involve either abortion or toilets?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Side thought - why is it that the most replied to threads on P&D seem to involve either abortion or toilets?
    Or gays
  • Options
    The thıng I dont understand about the Indıan method ıs thıs - do they just walk round wıth wet bums....