Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ryan Air wnt to charge for using toilets in flight

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is going the one step too far, unlike anywhere else, it's not like you can just go elsewhere to use the facilities.

Plus as other ppl suggested i could see ppl going for less pleasant options were this to happen due to cheapness/form of protest, which'd be rather grim.
  • Options
    Never liked Ryan Air, flew with them to Berlin once. EasyJet are better by a mile.
  • Options
    I am too poor for both. Yesss.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    IWishIWas wrote: »
    I am too poor for both. Yesss.

Me too :(
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I think everyone is entitled to a minimum standards of customer service and not to be treated like cattle. I don't go into fast food restaurants but if I did I would not be expected to be charged for going to the loo, or for using a tray to take my food to a table. Would you?

Going to the toilet is a basic human necessity. Only a cunt could possibly think of charging for that inside an aeroplane.

Then there is also the issue of misleading advertising and false economies. Bearing in mind that only a fraction of all seats actually go for the much talked about £1 fares, you might end up with savings of £30 or £40 over the likes of BA. When you add up food, drinks, £12+ for checked-in luggage, £2 for checking in at the airport and the extra cost involved in flying to and from airports that can be many, many miles further away from your destination than the airports used by rival companies, suddenly your bargain ticket becomes rather pricey. The last thing long-suffering passengers need is the indignity of being charged £1 to use the toilet as well.

Given the reaction to the news, I can only imagine the charge will not be implemented and the idea will cost O'Leary a bit money in lost revenue in the short term as well, as some would-be customers decide they'd rather pay extra after all and not be treated like livestock on its way to the slaughterhouse.

"You pays your moneys and you takes yer choices!"
  • Options
    I think everyone is entitled to a minimum standards of customer service and not to be treated like cattle. I don't go into fast food restaurants but if I did I would not be expected to be charged for going to the loo, or for using a tray to take my food to a table. Would you?

Going to the toilet is a basic human necessity. Only a cunt could possibly think of charging for that inside an aeroplane.

I agree with the general thing you're saying, but you're missing the point. Nobody goes to McDonald's for the service, or anything like that, they go because it's cheap and it's fast. When you are running a business as a price leader and cutting costs everywhere, as part of your business strategy to place yourself at the cheap end of the market, all these essentials that you would consider in a more typical business strategy go out the window.

Consider a racing car. Out goes the concepts of central heating, AC, radio etc. - in fact all the interior is gutted completely. Then reinforcing struts may be put in, with a quicker gear shift system and more direct steering. It's all about taking this vehicle and focusing it so precisely on what it needs to do.

What you're arguing, is that even if it is a racing car, it's just 'wrong' for it to not have a catalytic convertor on the end. As it is, Ryanair do currently allow people to use the toilets, so I think from watching the video it is more of a throw away comment. But you can hate them all they like but vote with your wallet. If you want a plane service with the extra bits, you don't pay for a no-thrills flight. Simple as really.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But you can hate them all they like but vote with your wallet. If you want a plane service with the extra bits, you don't pay for a no-thrills flight. Simple as really.

Eloquently put, dear boy. :yes:
  • Options
    And what happens when airlines start dropping routes directly competing with Cuntair because they're losing money on them? People will be forced to use it whether they like it or not.

Though that's beside the point. Frankly I find it rather sad and puzzling that some people appear so willing to be humiliated and treated like shit by greedy businesses- all in the name of capitalism.

Truly it is a corrupting, dehumanising system.
  • Options
    And what happens when airlines start dropping routes directly competing with Cuntair because they're losing money on them? People will be forced to use it whether they like it or not.

Though that's beside the point. Frankly I find it rather sad and puzzling that some people appear so willing to be humiliated and treated like shit by greedy businesses- all in the name of capitalism.

Truly it is a corrupting, dehumanising system.

Well, if enough people object by choosing not to fly with Ryanair, then there won't be any dropped routes.

The fact that people still fly Ryanair even under very basic conditions implies that the vast majority of people are not affected by them as you are, and value the cheap tickets more than the conditions. Once again, if you don't like 'em, don't fly 'em. :)
  • Options
    It is not as simple as that. Some people might need to fly and can only afford Ryanair. That doesn't mean they want or deserve to be transported like pigs heading for the slaughterhouse because a greedy scumbag who is already immensely rich is determined to outdo Ebenezer Scrooge in his limitless greed.

I could understand (though certainly not condone) if you and the others who seem quite content with such proposals were chairmen of companies yourselves, and were defending your right to do what you want. But to defend such despicable acts as a consumer? To willingly accept naked greed-motivated actions that dehumanise and diserspect a person, all apparently in the name of capitalism? How fucked up is that? You might as well be a turkey voting for Christmas.
  • Options
    It won't be long before this on Mr. O'Leary's wonderful airline

card.jpg

Capitalism. Dontcha love it! :)
  • Options
    If not putting a slot on the door, I can see them adding toilet charges to the online booking form at some pointand then you have to show your printed out ticket to a steward to get in.

I pity people who do not go through the online booking form properly as you can avoid so many charges that way.

The charge that reallyannoys me is for using a debit card to book - I don't mid paying up to £1.50 but I think last time I booked it was £4.50 each way! Free though if using Electron.

Apart from a lot of the charges, I have had many good expereinces with Ryanair - mind you I only use them for very short flights!
  • Options
    I think about 3 or 4 times now I've flown abroad with RyanAir for a total of 2p each time inc all fee's and taxes, and once had to splash out a whole £1.40p I think it was (70p each way)

The various stealth fee's are annoying and totally out of proportion - we just paid £4.50p to book a £350 return flight with Virgin Airlines using a Credit Card but that's less then 1% of the total ticket price. RyanAir will happily charge you that each way on a £10 flight. Virgin did offer no charges on a Debit card though. But with the added protection, cashbacks and travel insurance offered by paying with the credit card it was worth the extra £4.50p

Toilet charges onboard a plane are morally wrong to me and I think the various airline bodies need to step in to make it illegal to charge to use a toilet on a plane.
  • Options
    Plus as other ppl suggested i could see ppl going for less pleasant options were this to happen due to cheapness/form of protest, which'd be rather grim.
    Aye, the first thing that one of the guys in my office said when he heard was, "So what? Just ask for a wine glass, piss in it, and hand it back.
  • Options
    DG wrote: »
    Toilet charges onboard a plane are morally wrong to me and I think the various airline bodies need to step in to make it illegal to charge to use a toilet on a plane.

I actually agree from a health and safety perspective with you that humans have basic needs, just like with my racing car analogy you would have to wear a seatbelt heh.

However, I still think Aladdin is missing the point in a sense. If you are a business that is a price leader then you are always going to be looking for ways to cut prices. It's not unethical it's important. The government and the aviation authorities are there to stop things when they go too far, but before low cost airlines not so many people could afford air travel. It's this whole thing about economic efficiency that makes capitalism work.

The company wants to increase profits, and so with this particular strategy they want to cut costs and increase sales. They will be relentless in doing so, cutting every cost they can feasibly justify. Consumers want to pay less, and so they will buy the cheapest seats. If there were two seats, one that cost £3 and one that cost £4, but the £3 had no toilet access then some people would choose to buy the £3 one anyway.

In a free market economy that should be someones choice. Although, I agree with DG that they should be compelled to provide toilets, as it is a health and safety / sanitary requirement. It's different from driving 100 miles in a car, because if you get the runs you can pull over and go find a bush.

I think it's his obligation as the company's director to continue to explore new ways of cutting costs, because that is the company strategy. Look at McDonalds express queues where they cut down your service in order to serve you faster. McDonalds customers are happy because their criteria (speed + price) is improved and the owners are happy because their criteria (lower costs) is improved.

What you're arguing about is you don't like the choices other people make, but at the end of the day is someone is happy to accept certain conditions on the premise they pay less, why is that your business? As long as basic sanitation and such is met then that's their choice surely?
  • Options
    I don't know if you ever go, but if you went into a McDonalds/BK/KFC etc to have something to eat and they told you from now on everyone had to pay £1, you'd think fair do??

The Burger King near me charges 50p to use the toilet.

£1 for the loo is tight as fuck, but that's about it. I'd much rather then not be able to advertise flights for £1 when they're clearly not, and to have to disclose all the stealth costs also.
  • Options
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I think it's his obligation as the company's director to continue to explore new ways of cutting costs, because that is the company strategy. Look at McDonalds express queues where they cut down your service in order to serve you faster. McDonalds customers are happy because their criteria (speed + price) is improved and the owners are happy because their criteria (lower costs) is improved.
    What do you mean by 'they cut down your service'? Is that actually possible at McDonalds? :D
    What you're arguing about is you don't like the choices other people make, but at the end of the day is someone is happy to accept certain conditions on the premise they pay less, why is that your business? As long as basic sanitation and such is met then that's their choice surely?
    It's a slippery slope. It's a capitulation to amoral greed. And more worryingly, it's a message to other businesses that they can actually get away with what, until now, would have been considered unethical and completely unacceptable.

Because as such things usually tend to work out, if Ryanair did it and got away with it without too much fuss, other airlines would start considering. Ryanair were the utter cunts that (if I have it right) introduced the concept that passengers so selfish and irresponsible as having luggage with them should be *charged* for it. Ryanair customers, whether because of short-sightedness or mental apathy, continued using the airline without fuss. As a result most low cost airlines have now adopted the policy and charge money for checked-in luggage.

Such move would have been thought unthinkable only 15 years ago. Of course it is normal and expected people on a trip will have fucking luggage with them. Of course it is unacceptable and disgusting that every single aspect of transportation that until now was included in the ticket is now being billed as extra. What next? Make passengers stand?

Perhaps McDonalds needs to start charging £1 for straws, 50p for a plastic cup (bring your own if you don't want to be charged!) or £1.50 for the rental of a tray. Maybe then the ethics of savage capitalism and profit above everything else will become clearer.

Life and business should not be about generating the maximum about of profits possible at all costs and fuck everyone in the process. if it is, then frankly we should not want to be part of such nauseating way of life.
  • Options
    It is not as simple as that. Some people might need to fly and can only afford Ryanair. That doesn't mean they want or deserve to be transported like pigs heading for the slaughterhouse because a greedy scumbag who is already immensely rich is determined to outdo Ebenezer Scrooge in his limitless greed.

I could understand (though certainly not condone) if you and the others who seem quite content with such proposals were chairmen of companies yourselves, and were defending your right to do what you want. But to defend such despicable acts as a consumer? To willingly accept naked greed-motivated actions that dehumanise and diserspect a person, all apparently in the name of capitalism? How fucked up is that? You might as well be a turkey voting for Christmas.

How did these people travel BEFORE Ryanair? If they can't afford it, they will find an alternative route - or they'll just shut up, accept that they are still paying for a cheaper flight WITH the toilet surcharge, and travel in the manner for which they were aware before they paid.

By the way, I don't agree with the toilet surcharge but if I don't like it, I'll fly with someone else.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ryanair were the utter cunts that (if I have it right) introduced the concept that passengers so selfish and irresponsible as having luggage with them should be *charged* for it. Ryanair customers, whether because of short-sightedness or mental apathy, continued using the airline without fuss. As a result most low cost airlines have now adopted the policy and charge money for checked-in luggage.

The key words here are 'low cost'. Budget airlines have to do something to keep their costs down, it doesn't just magically happen. Reduced fare - reduced service. It's a simple as that

You're thinking about it the wrong way round - customers aren't penalised for taking luggage, actually the ones who don't bring luggage get a discount. If that rule wasn't in place, all the tickets would cost the same as for those who bring luggage

The point has been made many times, toilets in many places cost - train stations, shopping centres, even burger king (so your earlier point is well and truly shat on). How are airplanes any different?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    The key words here are 'low cost'. Budget airlines have to do something to keep their costs down, it doesn't just magically happen. Reduced fare - reduced service. It's a simple as that.
    No, it is not as simple as that. Ryanair and all the others started, grew and did very well before O'Leary sat down and started thinking how he could cream even more profits.

A low cost airline does not need to charge for luggage or toilets to make a profit. That has been proved extensively, by Ryanair as much as everyone else.

I have no doubts that if in a few years time Ryanair started to make passengers stand, you'd be here telling us it's the only way for low cost airlines to make a profit as well.
    You're thinking about it the wrong way round - customers aren't penalised for taking luggage, actually the ones who don't bring luggage get a discount. If that rule wasn't in place, all the tickets would cost the same as for those who bring luggage.
    Regardless of the way it is shown on the website, the point remains that the £1 ticket suddenly becomes £13 (or whatever it is) the moment it is established you are bringing luggage with you. Customers are being penalised for having luggage with them- something that is an essential part of anyone's trip that's longer than a couple of days.
    The point has been made many times, toilets in many places cost - train stations, shopping centres, even burger king (so your earlier point is well and truly shat on). How are airplanes any different?
    They aren't. And in every other business, companies ABSORB the cost of having and running toilets. And they turn very nice profits too.

Ryanair does not need to charge for toilets or even for luggage to make a profit (and a very nice one it made before all those charges too). That is the bottom line. The charges are prompted by naked greed, not by an elemental need to balance the books and turn a profit.
  • Options
    I agree it should be more transparent (currently trying to get the European commissioner to make DRM more transparent too, but its taking sooo long) but there's nothing fundamentally wrong with removing things like baggage allowance from the standard fare.
  • Options
    Dont fly Ryanair, problem sorted :thumb:
  • Options
    I think it's disgusting. Certain people, such as elderly people, pregnant women, children and people with certain conditions, need to use the toilet more than others. Some people may try to wait until they land, but if you wait and you really need to go, this is bad for your health.

One time I flew I was very ill and had to keep going to the toilet to be sick. If I was going to be charged £1 per puke, I would have just done it in a sick bag and all the other passengers would have to see/smell it.

I don't like budget airlines. When I flew out here, I could have come with easyjet for cheaper but I chose to fly Turkish Airlines because for a longer flight it's so much nicer to be with a regular airline that provides you with a meal and wine and entertainment. Plus, my luggage was quite a bit over the allowance but the checkin woman was nice and didn't charge me. That wouldn't happen with a budget airline.
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't agree with charging people to use the toilets for the reasons that Aladdin argues.
  • Options
    What do you mean by 'they cut down your service'? Is that actually possible at McDonalds? :D
    Well, they've reported increased profits in the last few months because of the credit crunch, so Maccy D's must be doing something right. Plus there's the little bugbear that the company is seen as less likely to default on its debts than Great Britain plc...
    kangoo wrote: »
    Because, on an airplane, you haven't really got a choice in whether to use the toilet. If you're a train station, you can easily leave and go find a free to use public toilet. You can hardly do that when you're 6,000ft in the air, can you?
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I think it's disgusting. Certain people, such as elderly people, pregnant women, children and people with certain conditions, need to use the toilet more than others. Some people may try to wait until they land, but if you wait and you really need to go, this is bad for your health.

Then choose not to fly Ryanair/budget airlines.
    katchika wrote: »
    I don't like budget airlines. When I flew out here, I could have come with easyjet for cheaper but I chose to fly Turkish Airlines because for a longer flight it's so much nicer to be with a regular airline that provides you with a meal and wine and entertainment. Plus, my luggage was quite a bit over the allowance but the checkin woman was nice and didn't charge me. That wouldn't happen with a budget airline.

Oh what a surprise! You chose not to fly Ryanair/budget airlines. D'oh! That was simple, huh? :)
  • Options
    That's just not true. If I can manage on hand luggage for a fortnight, anybody can.
    I find that extraordinary to be honest. In my experience, not a single person I've ever known has needed just hand luggage for a two-week trip... unless you're going to nudist camp perhaps.